i'm new, anyone else HCRV? (high carb raw vegan)

Options
Hi, I found this site when I was looking for a food-diary-like app. I'm currenty reading "The 80/10/10 Diet" by Doug Graham, I'm finding it quite compelling! I'm curious if anyone else I reading/attempting this way of eating, and if so, wanna be friends? I'd love t lok at someone else's food diary for inspiration. Right now I'm eating only fruit before noon (almost all smoothies), a giant green salad and usually a green smoothie for lunch, and lots of raw veggies along with a cooked grain or beans for dinner, so not 100% raw. I know I need to get brave enough to eat more fruit, but I also want to take it slow so I don get overwhelmed and ditch it ;)

Anyway, would love to meet another crazy raw(ish) vegan!

Replies

• geektastique
    Options
    Hi — I'm high raw as well (probably 90-95% ish)! I don't necessarily follow 811, but I'm not big on dehydrated food either. I eat mostly raw fruits, smoothies, salads, lettuce or nori wraps, some nuts, and the occasional cooked vegan meal or treat. I also like to eat all fruit in the morning. I can't say that my food log will necessarily be a great inspiration, but please feel free to talk with me if you need to be inspired and I'll see if I can dig up a recipe that will help. :)

During December I gradually got away from tracking what I eat and when I work out, so it's time for me to get back to that. I also just started with myfitnesspal (coming over from iChange — their site is often a bit wonky, and there's a heavy emphasis on the Herbalife products).
  • venessiel
    Options
    Oh cool, I'm very very far from raw but I try to do it 1-2 days a week. Like you, I usually eat only fruit in the morning, then for lunch either a salad or whatever our company decided to feed us at work, and for dinner I get some sort of cooked veggies/tofu/veggie protein dish. Don't think I'll go entirely raw anytime in the near future as it seems expensive with all the extra produce and equipment you'll need to get to ensure you're getting a healthy balanced diet.
  • geektastique
    Options
    I just thought I'd add that there's a raw vegan group here as well: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/657-raw-foodies
  • beckystahnke
    beckystahnke Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I am not raw nor am I vegan, but I am doing a raw vegan cleanse this week! I do them every so often and find my energy levels are amazing. I used to be vegan, but I fell off the wagon after my boyfriend's parents and my own family insisted I eat meat again... not a good excuse, I know, but I was really missing meat. I have a love for veganism though, and I think fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds are a plentiful, healthy diet as long as you feel good on it. :)

I don't share my diary publicly, but here's what I've eaten in the past on raw vegan:

Breakfast: Smoothie with raw cacao powder, unsweetened almond milk (not raw), dates, frozen cherries and a frozen banana. The sweetness from the banana and dates are enough that I don't need to sweeten with anything else. I top it with sliced almonds. It's approx 400 calories, 5 grams fat, 8 grams protein, and 15 g fiber. All made with natural, raw sugars and no added sweeteners.

Snacks: Handful of nuts, raw fruit, cucumber slices with a raw pate of nuts and seeds or guacamole, raw peppers

Lunch: Huge salad with raw anything and everything! I need a lot of crunch in my salads, so I love adding romaine and cabbage to give it an extra crunch. Texture makes a huge difference. I also like to mix sweet, savory, tangy/tart and spices to my salads or else I get super bored with them. Try a mixed lettuce/spinach/cabbage salad with raw sweet corn (wash it and cut it straight from the cob - it's better than cooked corn), peppers, tomatoes, avocado, sunflower seeds, and a dressing made from shallots, vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper. It's really amazing!

Dinner: This is where I've always run into issues - I always crave something cooked for dinner, and since I had salads and cold meals all day, I tend to crave a cooked starch at the end of the night. I've made things like roasted vegetables with a fresh garden salad and a piece of fresh fruit, or a vegetable soup with a fresh salad.

Dessert: Easy. I LOVE raw desserts even more than cooked ones. I made Cacao Pudding. It's cashews, almond milk, dates, and cacao powder blended until pudding-like consistency. Since it's not low cal, be careful with how much you consume because it is DELICIOUS. I eat it on top of fresh strawberries & blueberries or with frozen cherries. It's satisfying and filling.

I hope these ideas help you! If you need some great recipe ideas, visit Ani Phyo's youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/user/aniphyo?blend=2&ob=4

:)
  • KristyRAWks
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the responses and feedback! And here I thought this post would probably get buried! ;) Thanks forthe group heads up!
  • rtjmnz
    rtjmnz Posts: 9
    Options
    I read 80/10/10, it was a fascinating book and my transition into raw veganism. I'm also not 100% but I'm definitely trying to be. I just received a raw vegan cookbook for christmas!