HRM - which one do you have?? Need suggestions for mye first

Options
I have never had one before, always just kind of guessed my HR and calories burned. But I have been thinking lately that I should get one, for motivation purposes and also to get a more accurate idea of how hard I work out.

I would prefer a HRM that didn't require a chest strap, but I don't know if they're as accurate as the ones with chest straps.

Any suggestions, experiences og good advise about this? Before I go out and get me one??
(I want it quite simple though, not too many buttons and settings. Calories burned and HR is good enough for me)

Replies

• Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have a Suunto m4, does the trick, looks pretty :) Counts my cals, monitors my heartrate.. :)

It does require a chest strap, those that don't aren't accurate. The chest strap isn't a bother though, it sits just under the bottom of your sports bra and you don't feel it. I do recommend making sure that it's a soft strap rather than a hard one. :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a Polar FT4 is what you need. It's the most basic of all the Polar HRM's and is really used for just heart rate and calories.

I've used a Polar FT7, which I enjoyed a lot. Easy to use/set up and has a chest strap. I just got my Polar FT60 yesterday, and I'm kind of in love.. but it has a lot of screens and stuff, that I'm still trying to figure out :)
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin 110. Simple, small, and absolutely everything I need.
  • trbinado
    Options
    I have a Mio that I got on Amazon with no chest strap and it does fairly well. I know for sure that the heart rate is accurate. Just be aware that with no chest strap you have to be cognizant of the changes in your heart rate during your workout and mindful to monitor them to capture a good snapshot of several different stages in order for it to be able accurately calculate the calories.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Have a Polar FT60 and absolutely love it!!! Has a few more features than the ft4 and ft7 like VO2max sensoring and a built in training program that helps you reach your fitness goals.....
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    if your in the UK then get yourself a Kelly Holmes HRM from Tesco direct. its only £26 and its well worth it! it comes with a chest strap, and its a watch,hrm,stop watch, tells you your fat burning % etc etc. its super goood, it may not be as good as the more expensive ones. but it gives you a pretty accurate calorie burn so its all good :)

hope you find one :)
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I got a polar as per what I saw people on here talk about the most. I got a polar ft7 because it was on sale for the same price as the polar ft4. They are about the same, one is a newer model. You will want one with a chest strap as the ones without one will not be any more acurate than the info you get off the data base. The ones with a chest strap are programable for your gender, age, weight,and hight. All very important info to take in consideration. The ones w/o strap will only record the times per minute as you touch the contacts, and can differ alot from one second to the next. I am a computer dummy 55 year old gramma and I can figure out how to work it, so I wouldn't worry about the buttons. The chest strap worried me from the start, but it is very soft and elastic and narrow, feels much better than the wide band of a bra. If fact I forget it is even on.