Personal Trainer???

Options
Well here is my dilemma.......

I am unfit and definately need to lose weight. i decided that this year was the year for me to do it. So I (stupidly) entered myself into the ballot for the Great North Run in September.

I know I have only been on the new health kick for 6 days but I am already starting to lose interest.

Someone suggested that maybe I got a personal trainer to help me along the way.

So here it is - have any of you had personal trainers and what were they like? Also any advice on whether I should see about getting one or not?

Thanks

:-(

Replies

• arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! Best money I have ever spent (she is now a good friend)

She showed me what I was capable of. When I looked at her :huh: she would say YEP.....go to it! And guess what? I did it!!!

My tips are:

YOU choose your trainer. Most gyms will hook you up with anyone. YOU have to be specific!! If you do not like the trainer, ask for another. You are not stuck with this person. Remember YOU pay for this (a lot of YOU on purpose:wink: )

I walked in and said I was intersested in a trainer. He was going by 'next in line' and I said out loud "I have a neck injury, and almost 50 yrs old, want a woman, want someone with experience"

By the grace of God Susan was walking by and said HI!! Come with me. Manager was not happy:grumble: but he was when I signed my first contract.

This woman gave me my confidence back. When I felt I could really truly not do the exercise, I said MODIFY (replaced can't)

Good luck to you.

Also for motivation I highly reccommend a heart rate monitor or a fit bit. Something that tells you calories burned. The HRM will tell you what you burn exercising. My fit bit tells me steps all day. I have to admit the past year has been horrible and I went way off track. When I see I walked 5000 steps it encourages me, then makes me want to hit my 10k steps for the day so I go walk.

I hope some of this helps!!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've gone through three personal trainers in the last year... So here is my take on them.

Trainer #1- He was good.. in the beginning. My first session he was awesome.. I told him what I wanted and he delivered. Got to session two, when I only had one left, and he was after me to buy more. When I expressed hesitation, that was all he talked about... When are you buying more sessions? You won't be as successful if you don't buy more.. blah blah blah. So low and behold, I bought more sessions with him.. and he treated me like crap. Threw out my back three times, didn't really check my form on anything and just went through the motions. He got his money so that was all he needed.. and now he's fired from my gym.

Trainer #2- Hands down, the best trainer I could have asked for. Always coming up with new routines and never made me feel like I was just another client. He actually cared and took an interest in me and what I wanted/needed out of my sessions. He also wanted to make me independent, so that I could train on my own, come up with my own routines and not have to depend on a trainer.

Trainer #3- I've only had him for 4 sessions, but so far he seems good. He's been in the business for 5 years, has multiple certifications and is all about fitness. I tell him what I want to work on for that day, and he delivers. We only do two sets of each exercise and 15 reps of each exercise(which seems easy) but it's def. not! He can adjust any exercise to make it harder or easier.. which I like. It's not a cookie cutter approach like some trainers have.

So to sum my story up.. Personal trainers are good, if you find the correct fit. Make sure it's someone you trust and that you are comfortable with. Ask how long they have been with the gym and what certifications they have. Watch how they interact with/ treat other clients of theirs, and if that client is happy/upset. If at any point you are unhappy, then say something. You only get out of personal training what you put in.. and if you aren't working to full potential, then you're better off saving that money.
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    There is a load of stuff in between self-motivating and personal trainers. Classes at the gym, running clubs etc. Why not try them first and see how you get on?

You may also need to find an activity which you actually enjoy doing.
  • jodieb3
    jodieb3 Posts: 19
    Options
    I am a qualified personal trainer LOL! Some people really gain from having a personal trainner, whilst others don't. I would give it a go for a couple of sessions and see what you think. They are expensive but can get great results, bare in mind, most trainers are only based at a gym or home visits, so its you that needs to get the motivation to go and work out, not like the L.A Celeb PT's where trainners come and drag you out of bed ect... Which Is what I need haha!

Basically they will all tell you pretty much the same thing, so when choosing a trainer make sure you click (thats the most important thing I think personallY)

Its great to have a goal, try and have mini-goals to boost your confidence and try and keep them realistic, for example my first week I am going to walk for a moderate speed for 10 mins (see how far you get) and then the next week try and get further than you have the previuos week in the same amount of time. It does wonders for your confidence and makes you want to stick with it. Variety is also great, there is so many Cardio classes you can take to improve on fitness, Try something new each week/month.

If you get an army style trainner (shouts at you, calls you fat ect) You have got the wrong trainner!!! This will damage your confidence and de-motivate you phycologically after sessions. Keep positive and find encouragement from friends and family.

Good Luck :)
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I got a personal trainer once and he didn't exactly motivate me. He gave me great tips on getting an effective workout, but he vastly overestimated my abilities, and I felt like total crap every time I did his workouts. He wasn't a jerk or anything, but he pushed me WAY too far. I know they are supposed to stretch your limits, but he trampled my limits.

Honestly, my best ways to stay motivated are the following:
    1. Track your progress in ways that don't involve calories. For example, if one day I could jump rope for 3 minutes and the next day I can do it for 4, that's improvement. If you can see that you are getting stronger and finding more endurance, that alone is enough reason to stick with it.

2. Don't over complicate your workout. Find something simple, like walking, jump rope, or pushups that challenges you but is a simple and repetitive workout. I find that I can get stuck on how my form is if I try to do too many different things in a workout, and I get frustrated.

3. Get into your sports bra, sneakers, yoga pants, or whatever workout clothes you have. Just being dressed for the occasion makes it more likely to happen.

4. Find some great music to listen to. I find that I can workout much longer if I have music in my ear. I get more excited about moving and I focus on something other than my lack of breath.
  • bubbyp
    bubbyp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all this fab help.

I am still in two minds but think I am more leaning towards not getting one yet.

I don't have enough self-confidence to go and do classes or the gym where other people can see me.

I think my best options are to keep logging, walk home from work every night (45 mins) and do other things on the wii.

Finally, listen to all the support and encouragement from my friends on here.

x
  • bubbyp
    bubbyp Posts: 37 Member
    Options

I am still in two minds but think I am more leaning towards not getting one yet.

I don't have enough self-confidence to go and do classes or the gym where other people can see me.

I think my best options are to keep logging, walk home from work every night (45 mins) and do other things on the wii.

x
  • jodieb3
    jodieb3 Posts: 19
    Options

x

That is a great start! By doing little things and making small changes here and there you will be getting fitter and more confident to deal with the gym ect, The wii is excellent. I play the micheal jackson experiance and find it really fun and work up a sweat! Try timming yourself on your walks to work to track your progress, each week, drop a minute off and get there a minute earlier, obviously you can only go so far with this! You can actually do a lot of similar excercises to the gym in your own home too. You can burn calories/fat, by just about doing anything. Keep positive and do what you feel comphortable with, set yourself realistic goals and be very proud and celebrate once you achieve them, you will soon be so confident, that you will not only be going to the gym, but showing everyone how to do it lol!!!!
  • ChrystenMB
    Options
    I was always to shy/afraid to do classes at the gym. I am super competitive, so I wasn't ok with not doing the moves. Then a friend dragged me to a yoga class. I am not flexible, at all. But I made it. Then I went every week. Next we decided to try a bodypump class. Then a zumba class. Just this month, I put my big girl pants on and went to a new class all by myself. I was so nervous. It felt like evryone knew each other. I nervously waited outside and went in, and it was obvious I didn't know what to do. So I asked (I know gasp!). Everyone was very helpful and nice and it was a blast. Needless to say I am addicted.

I find that classes are my best motivation, well any group activity. And I actually push myself. The next best motivator is my workout buddy, aka Mom. We have gym dates, so if I don't go it's like a stood her up. If you stand up your trainer, they don't care they still get paid, but when I stand up my mom.. oh my do I hear about it.
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    For me having a personal trainer is about having someone to check in with and hold me accountable. I see him every two weeks and he can tell if I've been doing the work between visits. There are many a morning when my bed can convince me not to go to the gym. However, I hear my trainer's voice in my head and get moving.

Always looking for more friends.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

x

Most trainers will give you a trial session either free or cheaper than usual. You can give it and go and see if you like it. Also, you don't have to use one in a gym. Mine comes to my house and brings all the equipment we need with her - and then when the weather is nice we go outside to the playing fields.

I was like you at first and didn't want others to see me exercising, but a few sessions with my PT my confidence was sky high and now I love being outside.

Good Luck!
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    I am a qualified personal trainer LOL! Some people really gain from having a personal trainner, whilst others don't. I would give it a go for a couple of sessions and see what you think. They are expensive but can get great results, bare in mind, most trainers are only based at a gym or home visits, so its you that needs to get the motivation to go and work out, not like the L.A Celeb PT's where trainners come and drag you out of bed ect... Which Is what I need haha!

Basically they will all tell you pretty much the same thing, so when choosing a trainer make sure you click (thats the most important thing I think personallY)

Its great to have a goal, try and have mini-goals to boost your confidence and try and keep them realistic, for example my first week I am going to walk for a moderate speed for 10 mins (see how far you get) and then the next week try and get further than you have the previuos week in the same amount of time. It does wonders for your confidence and makes you want to stick with it. Variety is also great, there is so many Cardio classes you can take to improve on fitness, Try something new each week/month.

If you get an army style trainner (shouts at you, calls you fat ect) You have got the wrong trainner!!! This will damage your confidence and de-motivate you phycologically after sessions. Keep positive and find encouragement from friends and family.

Good Luck :)

well said...I am trainer also. :) If a trainer isn't an option. find a couch to 5k program for your running also. I assume that is what you signed up for. If you are getting burned out are you doing too much too quickly?