Any Type I diabetics?

Options
Hi, I'm new to this site and have a goal of losing the 15 pounds that I lost after my divorce but have slowly crept back on again. I'm also a Type I diabetic, so it can be really challenging trying to lose weight, exercise and balance my blood sugars. I'd love to find others who are going through the same things.

Happy New Year!

Replies

• amcharlebois
    Options
    Hi,

I am also a Type 1 Diabetic. The real challenge i am having is now that i am dieting and exercising, my blood sugars are dropping in the middle of the night causing me to of course eat sugar, I try to stick solely to the glucose tabs because I can tell how much is in each and they act quicker but it is really messing up my sugar and calorie intake for the day seeing as how each tab contains 15 calories and 4g of sugar. i am going to try and eat a snack before bed without covering it, see how that goes. It works with my kids anyway (I am a pediatric RN that takes care of kids with diabetes). My goal is to lose 15 lbs as well and I know it is going to be challenging but I need to do this!
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Hi and happy new year to you, too!

I am new to this site, too. I'm a Type 1 Diabetic and got the diagnose less than a year ago. I had lost over 50kg / 100lbs prior to getting diagnosed and starting the insulin therapy and now more than half of it is back on. Time to start shaping up again! :) I'm also quite nervous, especially about working out but when I went to my diabetes course there were people who were heavily into fitness and working out. If they managed not to pass out, I'm sure I'll be okay. :)

@amcharlebois - I used to have the same problem with low blood sugar levels at night. They ended up prescribing a different kind of insulin (Lantus, a long working one - I don't know if you get the same kinds where you live?) and provided me with a new device that also checks how much short working insulin is still in my blood and then suggests how much I should inject. I've been doing much better since that.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a Type 2 diabetic so I probably don't have as much difficulty losing lbs but I still have to make the same food choices and restrictions you would. Feel free to add me as a support buddy if you like!
  • vwsbabygirl
    Options
    Hi, name is Paula and I'm new to this site as of today. I'm a type 2 diabetic and I was diagnosed five years ago. I haven't been able to lose any weight since I first got diagnosed and took my diabetes class. I was able to lose twenty pounds then and I only counted my carbs as well as make better food choices. My doctor told me a year ago that I could stop taking my medication if I could control my blood sugar level and lose twenty pounds, well to say the least that hasn't happened or I wouldn't be on this site. In fact my blood sugar level has steadily increased, I'm afraid of what he might tell me when I return. I've never been one to exercise on a continual bases so does anyone have any suggestions. Not only do I want to do this for my blood sugar I think it will just make me feel better as a person and I have a twelve year old that I would love to see grow up, get married and have me some grandchildren. I open to any ideas.
  • alie5612
    Options
    hiya i am type 1 too find it hard but getting there now slow is the key for me reduce insulin for 1 meal at a time and wait a few days see what happens so far so good use loads less insuilin and blood seem ok few hypos here and there good luck
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi. Welcome aboard. I'm a type 1 diabetic too. I'm 44 and was diagnosed at age 12. I use a MiniMed insulin pump. Zero complications and doing well. I've been on MFP for nearly 1 year and have lost a staggering 109 pounds. Anyone is welcome to friend me. I'm here daily and love to support my friends.

scan0014.jpg
    009.jpg
  • stephaniep12345mfp
    stephaniep12345mfp Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    @keeponkickin, you look fantastic!!! Congratulations on sticking to it and having such great success - you are an inspiration!
  • hooah_mj
    hooah_mj Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am also a Type 1 Diabetic. The real challenge i am having is now that i am dieting and exercising, my blood sugars are dropping in the middle of the night causing me to of course eat sugar, I try to stick solely to the glucose tabs because I can tell how much is in each and they act quicker but it is really messing up my sugar and calorie intake for the day seeing as how each tab contains 15 calories and 4g of sugar. i am going to try and eat a snack before bed without covering it, see how that goes. It works with my kids anyway (I am a pediatric RN that takes care of kids with diabetes). My goal is to lose 15 lbs as well and I know it is going to be challenging but I need to do this!
    if i can offer some advice,
    My teenage son is also t1diabetic pump user and works out (weights/cardio) several times a week...to prevent middle of the night crash, he goes on an 80% temp basal for up to 8 hours after an intense workout and increases his protein and FAT intake (jerky works extremely well and has little to no carbs)...a 200 bg is optimal at bedtime. His numbers are close to 90 in the a.m.
    everyone is different and it has taken him almost a year to get this right. all my best......mj
  • beforesixty
    Options
    I am also type 1, and need to lose 50lbs..I am on my first week and it's a challenge because even now I have lows & highs soooooo much
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I do not have diabeties but I feel as I do because my hubby is a Type 1 diabetic.
    He was diagnosed in April of 2004 and it has been a challenge (for us both) ever since.
    He's been having alot of low's lately....which can be Very scary!

@ Keeponkickin ~ you look awesome!!! great job!!!

Would love any friend adds.....feel free to add me :)
    I am on here everyday....
  • lopo
    lopo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @keeponkickin, you look great! What a difference! I have a pump as well and can't seem to balance everything well. Would love to hear your advice on how to get started. I have about 105 lbs to lose and have no clue how to start. It seems like when I make any kind of a change to my routine or diet, my sugars are all over the place.

Anyone else, please feel free to offer any advise as well.
  • Boingo1
    Boingo1 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As a few others here, I don't have Type 1, but my 16 yr old son does. I'd love to be pals here with any/all of you. It's great to learn from others about their experiences with Type 1 and , well, LIFE!

I've just started out too. Lost 95 lbs 10 years ago. LOVE to exercise (addicted, some may say). I've gained about 15-20 lbs back that I'd love to get rid of some or all of it! It's really become a "food" thing for me.

Add me if you want!

~Chris
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am a type 2 Diabetic diagnosed after I had hit rock bottom and had my aha moment in May 2009. I had A1c at 9.9 back then and was told by my Endo Dr. my diabetes was weight related ( was at 560 lbs,) and if I lost the weight my diabetes would improve. Flash forward 30 months and I have been at pre-diabetic levels (A1c at 5.4) for 12 months now. I have to watch my carb intake very closely because of low blood sugar too. I can not go all night without food (use to wake up at 3 in the morning dizzy and confused) so now at 11 when I go into bed I have 35 Almonds and 1 glass of 1% chocolate milk and have been doing this for quite awhile now and it is enough to get me through until morning but I make sure that I eat within 30 minutes of waking.... Goodluck to you on your journey.......
  • tafinney
    tafinney Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been a T1 Diabetic since 1995 and need to lose 80(ish) Lbs. I have spent the last decade and a half in denial and have abused myself pretty badly. I have started using MFP so I can SEE what I am consuming and hopefully become more focused on it;.

When I say that I am abusing myself, I am not talking about drugs and alcohol, but something far worse for a Diabetic... food. I would eat what I wanted to, when I wanted to... then I would worry about my insulin injection later. Candy, cake, cookie, and ice cream after 10 pm have been common for me. Also something that is common, is a BG reading of 350 or more, and an A1c of over 14.

Guess that is basically "Diabetic Suicide"... or the extended version of it. My New Years Resolution was to stop doing that. So far, so good.

I have found MFP very useful on my iPad and Android phone to monitor my consumption and it helps me figure out how much insulin to give. I do not have a pump because I am a Disabled Veteran and the VA Administration has stated that they do not give pumps out to anyone because of budget cuts over the last several years. So, I will be financing my own this year I guess.