How do you know when a mango is ripe?

Options
I am trying to eat new fruit...picked up a mango at the grocery store. How do you know when it's ready to eat? Is it eaten plain or with something? This is coming from an apples-only fruit eating girl....I'm really trying to expand my food list.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions!

Replies

• mmrkar
    mmrkar Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always smell them to see if they smell like the fruit (same with pineapple). Also, when you press on it, the flesh should give a little like a peach. You can eat them plain or with yogurt, smoothie, fruit salad, grilled...endless possibilities.
  • smittenmikish
    Options
    You can't tell by color like normal... Green doesn't mean it isn't ripe. It should be slightly soft to the touch when you give it a gentle squeeze, kind of like a pear. Hope that helps! I love mangos!!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    It should yield slightly to the touch, like a peach or avocado. You don't want it to feel hard, like an apple. We love mangoes at our house! Yummm!

Cutting a mango can be tricky. The way I peel/slice it is like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU27jWGVHoI. One correction. At the end, she says "you're done," but at our house, we are not done. We eat the flesh from off the seed that you otherwise cannot get with a knife. Generally my middle child calls the seed for herself. :^)
  • debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Try cutting the mango and eating it with grilled chicken - it is delicious and you don't need to make it into a salsa or anything difficult.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    Options
    Unripe Mangoes taste kinda like a carrot. The same thing makes both of them orange, beta carotene.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Mango.jpg
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I am trying to eat new fruit...picked up a mango at the grocery store. How do you know when it's ready to eat? Is it eaten plain or with something? This is coming from an apples-only fruit eating girl....I'm really trying to expand my food list.

Thank you in advance for the suggestions!

They will give off a sweet, citrus like smell, they will be soft, but not mushy, and they will have a more yellow and red color than green. I like to cut them into big chunks and eat them w/ vanilla yogurt or mix them with other tropical/citrus fruits. Although, plain is good too.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Booo! It's not even mango season right now. When it is, though, ripe mangoes smell like mangoes.
  • freckly_vermonter_girl
    Options
    Squeeze them! :D
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    slice up pieces of green mango, put them in a bowl with some vinegar, soy sauce and black pepper, and let them marinate up a bit.

Mmmmmmmmmmm making me salivate
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Squeeze them! :D

Yes, don't forget to "squeeze the mangos"..... LOL :laugh: That should be on a "Top Ten List of Things That Sound Dirty, But Aren't"
  • bellanoelle
    bellanoelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone....dessert tonight!