WHY AM I GAINING?!

Options
I have been working on losing weight since August. December wasn't a good month. I didn't exercise at all and was able to maintain weight.

I am back on it and am gaining! :(

I walk 3 miles at least 4 days a week and don't go over my recommended calories. But, I'm gaining?!

I'm so discouraged and wondering what to do.

I quick drinking caffeine and have been drinking all water. I'm trying to cut out snacky foods. I am a picky eater. Don't like veggies and stuff like that. I'm trying to eat that stuff where I can though.

Any advice would help. :)

Replies

• LoraMora
    LoraMora Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    If you have been working on losing weight since August and have lost 48 pounds, you are doing a FANTASTIC job. Stop beating yourself up for a blip in the progress.

I have been working on losing weight since April and have a net loss of 8 pounds. You are doing much better than me.

Just stick to being sensible until you stay where you are or start losing again. Good job!

Edited: oops, sorry, I see your loss wasn't 48 but your goal is. Still, your 20# loss is terrific, and even better than a 48# one would have been because you are doing it on a good pace. I'm jealous!
  • kk0223
    kk0223 Posts: 179
    Options
    I just don't want to gain. :( I am working on actually losing and its discouraging seeing the scale at a higher number.

I am going to start pushing myself as of now. I am drinking nothing but water and going to force self to work out whenever I have nothing to do! lol

I have downed 48 oz of water so far and am working on 180. So, I have a little ways to do. But, I can do it before bed tonight!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Need more info.
  • kk0223
    Options
    Need more info.

I don't know what info. you need?
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Are you making sure to drink enough water? Are you moderating your sodium intake?
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Were you walking before December too? If you are gaining muscle from increased exercise and loosing fat you may gain a few lbs. I worked out for 8 weeks prior to the holidays and gained 3 lbs but lost 4 inches from my waist. I hated that scale but my clothes fit better.
  • kk0223
    Options
    Are you making sure to drink enough water? Are you moderating your sodium intake?

I wasn't until today. I actually googled a water intake calculator and see that I need at least 180 oz of water a day with my weight and exercise that I do. So, I am going to work on that and cutting out caffeine would be my first step to cutting out sodium. I am a huge diet coke fan. So, I am working on stopping that. I'm on day 2. Headaches are terrible.

I know there are small things I need to do but I need to do babysteps cause first off, I don't like veggies very much. I don't do many fruits. I am trying to slowly eat those things one taste at a time.

I am going to start pushing myself to walk more until I can do Zumba again in a few weeks.

I'm hoping the all water thing starts showing/helping.
  • kk0223
    Options
    Were you walking before December too? If you are gaining muscle from increased exercise and loosing fat you may gain a few lbs. I worked out for 8 weeks prior to the holidays and gained 3 lbs but lost 4 inches from my waist. I hated that scale but my clothes fit better.

Well, I wouldn't mind the scale number so much if I wasn't in a contest for who can lose the most weight! lol

I am 247 and trying to get down to 200 for now. So, my number needs to drop anyways. But, it's being stubborn! (Like me..)
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Insure your sodium level is within it's daily limits, make sure your water intake is high enough... and if doing the same type of walk all the time, mix it up with some intervals of faster/slower, or try more or less intense - once we start to plateau or go up a bit (and it's not that monthly time cause that adds water retention no matter how "good" you are), the idea is to mix it up and if you have, then progression is key. Moving forward, raising our levels as our abilities raise :) Hope that helps
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Insure your sodium level is within it's daily limits, make sure your water intake is high enough... and if doing the same type of walk all the time, mix it up with some intervals of faster/slower, or try more or less intense - once we start to plateau or go up a bit (and it's not that monthly time cause that adds water retention no matter how "good" you are), the idea is to mix it up and if you have, then progression is key. Moving forward, raising our levels as our abilities raise :) Hope that helps

Ack! Sorry for the double post
  • kk0223
    Options

Ack! Sorry for the double post

That does help a lot! Thanks :)
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing last year.....FRUSTRATING. Here were some of my discoveries

Watch your sodium intake. I WAS SHOCKED!! I don't know if you are doing this already, but if not , go to your settings & add sodium to your food diary.

Don''t watch the scales to much.......you could be gaining muscle, also, if you are sore, don't bother with the scales. Your body retains water to cushion muscles & joints . So when you are hurting you could be retaining water to naturally protect your joints & muscles.

I grew up thinking that I HAD to have meat, carb & veggie on my plate. So there was always, rice, potate or pasta EVERY NIGHT

Now I cut all that out almost completely. Now I will have fish, steamed veggie & fresh fruit.

As soon as I did this I lost 2-1/2 inches off my waist almost immediately.

Start measuring your body, instead of focusing on the # on the scales. There is also a book called Get with The Program (by Bob Green?) It's a really good book , and explains weight gain & loss. It really helped me a lot.

Hope this helps you & good luck
  • kk0223
    Options
    I went through the same thing last year.....FRUSTRATING. Here were some of my discoveries

Watch your sodium intake. I WAS SHOCKED!! I don't know if you are doing this already, but if not , go to your settings & add sodium to your food diary.

Don''t watch the scales to much.......you could be gaining muscle, also, if you are sore, don't bother with the scales. Your body retains water to cushion muscles & joints . So when you are hurting you could be retaining water to naturally protect your joints & muscles.

I grew up thinking that I HAD to have meat, carb & veggie on my plate. So there was always, rice, potate or pasta EVERY NIGHT

Now I cut all that out almost completely. Now I will have fish, steamed veggie & fresh fruit.

As soon as I did this I lost 2-1/2 inches off my waist almost immediately.

Start measuring your body, instead of focusing on the # on the scales. There is also a book called Get with The Program (by Bob Green?) It's a really good book , and explains weight gain & loss. It really helped me a lot.

Hope this helps you & good luck

Thanks! I am going to start watching my sodium and not salt things. That will be tough but all I gotta do is just NOT do it! :)

I am worried about scale at the moment only cause I'm in a contest of who can lose the most weight by June 30th! Guess if I start looking good whether my weight is up or down then it doesn't matter!
  • Miss_Hiker_Pants
    Miss_Hiker_Pants Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Challenging is fun.....but not fare when it comes to weight loss. When I was a kid, my friend and I wore the same size clothes. But.....she was 105 and I was 115... I used to STARVE myself to get where she was and could never get below 110. It actually was becoming dangerous.

Lose it for you, and get to where you feel good about you.
  • May63
    May63 Posts: 162
    Options
    calm down. stressing isn't doing you any good. just keep doing what you feel is good choices
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Need more info.

I don't know what info. you need?

You can open up your diary for starters. Maybe it has to do with your food intake. Are you measuring/weighing your foods and double checking labels? Also, how long have you been back at it? You said December wasn't a good month....well December just ended 6 days ago....so if you've only been back at it for 6 days, it may take some more time. :flowerforyou:
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    its really hard to comment without being able to view your diary, can you make it public?