EA Active

Options
I just picked up my new EA Active game for Wii....I did 30 minutes worth this afternoon....really seems to get your heart pumping. BUT.....controllers are very picky about the way exercises are done, must do them exact. We'll see how it works out.

For anyone interested who may not know about the game. It is a fitness game for the Nintendo Wii. It does not require the Wii Balance Board, but it is compatible. The cost is 59.99 at Game Stop.

Replies

• FalconSays
    FalconSays Posts: 62
    Options
    Can I say 'jeeellll-ussss' :laugh: I have to get me one of them Wii thingamajiggers.

♥Karen
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Did you try the kickboxing with the strap that goes around your thigh?

I was checking it out online and wondered how comfortable that was, and if the cords got in the way of what you are doing.

But it looks like a cool addition to my Wii games!
  • nurse7641
    nurse7641 Posts: 23
    Options
    The strap actually fits snuggly on teh thigh...the cords don't seem to get in the way. The kickboxing and the inline skating are my favs. It's fun, but you can also feel the workout!!!!
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I agree too I just got done I was crazy and said intense workout instead of lets start out slow, I burned 109 calories, the in line skating waqs my favorite also, but on the fast kicking one I surely felt the burn. We will see tomorrow if I am sore.
  • shondalgr03
    shondalgr03 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gotta get me one of those!!!!:happy:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    I just did the premade routine for strength training (on easy) and it was a really great workout! It was a lot of fun plus I burned 182 calories! My husband tried a variety of things but he liked basketball the most. Im eager to try the kickboxing.

I agree that the controllers are very picky. Sometimes it didn't properly register my move. Overall it is awesome and I'm interested in trying the 30 day challenge. The journal is great but I would have liked more control over the goals.

Most of all, it got my husband working out again (he'd been slacking for a couple of weeks now). Plus, I'm pretty sure Im going to be sore tomorrow morning. :bigsmile:
  • Jrgal
    Jrgal Posts: 46
    Options
    I got mine yesterday also and I love it! Very sore today but can't wait to do it agian tonight. I am going to start my 30 day challenge June 1st.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I tried it out last night and this morning. I found it to be a fun workout. For the lunges, you have to wait for the whistle which seemed slow to me - it takes a bit to get used to the rythym. I also added a dumbell (5 lb) while doing the lunges to make it more of a challange. I did find that the band resistance was too easy. I attached a harder resistance band that I had already, and, for some exercises, just used another band without the straps. As long as you are holding the remote and nunchuck with band, you can use any band you want. I've only tried the tennis sport exercise so far. I enjoyed it, but felt I couldn't do "normal" tennis strokes. If I did a follow-thru on my forehand, sometimes the Wii character just swung her racquet back and forth several times and I couldn't get set up for the next shot. Overall, I enjoy it and am glad I purchased it.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    i really want this game but its not able to buy in the UK until end of may i think

xx
  • jcarter0525
    jcarter0525 Posts: 84
    Options
    The strap actually fits snuggly on teh thigh...the cords don't seem to get in the way. The kickboxing and the inline skating are my favs. It's fun, but you can also feel the workout!!!!

If it barely fits you, then there's no way it's going to fit me. Do you absolutely need to have it on?? My husband is buying this for me for my birthday in a few weeks.
  • laurae
    laurae Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It does need to be strapped to your thigh for it to sense some of the exercises. I'm sure there is a way to rig it up to work with something else (a bandana or strip of wide elastic?) if the supplied strap does not fit you.

Another thing I noticed was that the calories burned calculated was very low compared to the reading from my heart rate monitor. One factor that I'm sure affected the difference is that the game's time calculation is only for actual exercise time, not maneuvering through the menu. Once I started my heart rate monitor I did not stop it until I was done the 30-day challenge workout for the day. My monitor said I burned about double what the game said. My time was only about 5-10 minutes longer than the game's time. There does not seem to be a way to enter in your own number for calories burned which makes the journal and goals for calories inaccurate.
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    I started the 30 day challange and let me tell you the second day I could not even squat thats how sore I was I did it today and felt great gonna go running this afternoon
  • SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    BUT.....controllers are very picky about the way exercises are done, must do them exact.

Oh my goooooosh don't I know all about that! Last night when I was trying it out, we were doing the bicep curl, and I wasn't doing it EXACTLY like she was so the screen kept saying hold still with the right arm curled up...I thought it just wanted me to keep holding the curl, so I kept holding it...five minutes later I was starting to wonder why it would want me to hold the right arm for so long!!! LOL...until I adjusted the way that I was holding the remote and then it told me to bring my arm down! HAHAHAHAHA...I felt kind of stupid for holding it for so long...