"Snacky" day

Options
I'm feeling really snacky today. I'm not sure if it's real or fake hunger - but I want to eat anything & everything - and I'm sure I don't want to stop at an appropriate portion level.

I had a regular, filling, well-balanced breakfast & a morning snack - both with protein and here, at 11:00 a.m. - I feel starving. But I don't think that's what it really is - I just want to SNACK.

So - million dollar question - what helps you through these days? Do you have effective self-talk strategies that actually work? Please do not respond "nothing tastes as good as being thin feels" - because I might jump off the nearest cliff, and frankly I wouldn't know because I've never been thin.

These are the days that can potentially derail my progress - I'm not going to let that happen today - but I'd definitely like to hear what works for others. Thanks! Cheryl

Replies

• keffy
    keffy Posts: 13
    Options
    When I feel cravings when it doesn't seem appropriate for what I have already ate I usually have a big glass of water and then see if I still feel the same. Usually when you get those cravings it's from your blood sugar levels dropping... so maybe what you are eating is digesting too quickly? Raw veggies and lean protein will take longer and keep you fuller longer?
  • MsPinVa
    MsPinVa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Delay, delay, delay! lol

I was that way yesterday. I had to keep telling myself 15 more min., then I could have a snack. Go for a loop around the office? (IDK your work)

Water, water, water.

Keffy asked about your snack, did it have sugar/carbs to pump up a craving?
  • decayintostars
    Options
    Small fuji organic apples. No matter what I'm craving, I grab an apple. If I'm still feeling "snacky", I just grab another apple. And another if need be. The fiber will fill you up and the glucose/fiber ratio will stabilize your blood sugar.
    Don't love apples? Pop your own popcorn with a little bit of olive oil and a SMIDGE of salt. Works every time.
  • EJsMummy26
    EJsMummy26 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had a couple of days like that this week. I snacked all day at work, healthy stuff but still was building up the calories. I was bored at work!

When I got home, eat a veggie salad with little dressing, and stayed busy doing housework, and worked out.

Hang in there! We all have these days. I don't play the game of "I can't have that." Stick to moderation.
  • sirihermine
    sirihermine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    i will take a nap, a walk, or a long bath,or just hide in a room away from food with my computer and be on the forums here. :) It's hard to resist eating everything some days, but generally the feeling passes after some time so I just try to occupy myself with something else until that happens.
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I actually am guzzling water - I should've mentioned that. What I had for breakfast & morning snack is usual for me and doesn't typically cause hunger. I find that some days the "pull" to eat too much is stronger than others. In talking to other dieters I think it's par for the course - but some people can find their way through it and others (ahem - ME!) have a harder time. I mean - let's face it - we're dieting - we're going to FEEL hunger when our bodies are changing - it's meant to be slightly uncomforbable. So I guess I'm looking not for food/water advice, but more how to emotionally get through - know what I mean? Thanks for your response!! :-)
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Delay, delay, delay! lol

I was that way yesterday. I had to keep telling myself 15 more min., then I could have a snack. Go for a loop around the office? (IDK your work)

Water, water, water.

OMG - this is such good advice - soooo true! Oh - I had one slice multi-grain bread with natural peanut butter & 1/2 banana for breakfast, and a cheese stick with pretzels for snack. So I tried to off-set the carbs with protein. I'm having a salad for lunch (after delay-delay) so there's veggies coming!
  • MsPinVa
    MsPinVa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Delay, delay, delay! lol

Water, water, water.

OMG - this is such good advice - soooo true! Oh - I had one slice multi-grain bread with natural peanut butter & 1/2 banana for breakfast, and a cheese stick with pretzels for snack. So I tried to off-set the carbs with protein. I'm having a salad for lunch (after delay-delay) so there's veggies coming!

It's lunch time - guess you made it through! :) Woohoo!
  • ChellieIrish
    ChellieIrish Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Just popping in here but maybe try having a bigger breakfast :wink: I noticed that when I have 2 slices of bread with PB well before lunch I am starving :grumble: but in saying that the days I have Readybrek made with SL Milk I feel fuller for longer :smile: I wouldn't survive on just one slice and 1/2 banana :noway:

There isn't much difference in Carbs v Protein v Fibre

RB v PB
    C 37 v 41
    P 15 v 14
    F 3 v 7
  • kendib
    kendib Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I really hate days like this. I think the delay, delay, delay helps the most and is good advice.

My new cure is peanuts(I preportion and a baggie of them lives in my desk for days like this), a full glass of water and then some gum.

That way I got to snack and but was healthy and the gum keeps be satisfied.