Exercising at Home

Options
Hi :) so I've started the 30 Day Shred and Im using my dumbells during the workout but what other strength exercises can I do to tone up as I only have dumbells and resistance rubber bands at home...I want to tone upppp!

For Cardio I do the Jillian Michaels Shred but I want to try another DVD that will get my heart rate up, does anyone have any suggestions for Workout dvds?

I don't have access to the gym this year but I want to start running 1/2 a week too.

My aim is to lose 10lbs and tone up my stomach and legs mainly.

Can anybody help??

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You can use heavier dumbbells if you want a tougher workout and more toning. If you have a smart phone, Jillian also has apps with workouts for toning/weights, etc. For more cardio, try her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism DVD - no hand weights, lots of cardio and still some strength moves - you know Jillian loves her combination/use all your muscles/burn more calories moves! It's about 40 minutes long - so a longer workout than the Shred, but good to alternate the two workouts.
  • alicia_louise29
    Options
    Thanks hun I will definately look into that one! x
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I second her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism dvd. It took me awhile to be able to get through the whole dvd. If you have time you can do the whole dvd or if you only have a little time you can break it up into sections. It will definitely get your heart rate up and make you sweat.
  • christinacherrelle
    christinacherrelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    First off, good luck on your fitness goals! An exciting journey to begin =) Try a workout called Insanity, it's high intensity cardio (however you can use your best judgement to modify). I see results pretty much INSTANTLY haha. As for the goal to tone specific body parts, you'll find that with a workout like this it simply helps all over and makes everything look fit. Good luck!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    For running..... look into a Couch to 5K program... it starts your off with walking and running intervals and gets you up to 30 minutes staright running at the end of 9 weeks. I did it last year and it was awesome!

Try Netflix watch instantly workout DVDs to try out a bunch and see what you like without having to pay for them.

I also love JM's workouts- 30DS, ripped, Banish Fat, and No More Trouble Zones. I second the idea to up your weights over time to build up more resistance.
  • sonjawi
    sonjawi Posts: 46
    Options
    I love Zumba, but then I have generally problems to motivate myself with "normal" workout DVDs :).
  • Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    For the strength training try p90x. It's the best DVD out there for that. And you see results right away. For cardio, I do either insanity or turbo fire, just because insanity isn't for everyone. And turbo fire does the same thing just in 90dsys. Message me and I can send u to a site where you can learn more About them and get a deal for them
  • MrsKunz
    MrsKunz Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    ok i watch ONDEMAND on cable i dont know what you have but i get a different work out every day and i feel it everyday!
  • everydaymom1982
    Options
    I dropped my gym membership a year ago due to extra expenses our family had. I might get a short term one for the winter (it's so rainy here!). Anyway I have instant netflix and I switch between the Crunch videos and 10 minute solution videos. I like using Netflix because then I don't have to buy a bunch of DVDs. I can watch them on the computer while I workout in our living room. I can't just to do the same DVD everyday or I get so bored with it. My favorite right now is Crunch Kickboxing. I like the fast moving intensity of it.
  • christinacherrelle
    christinacherrelle Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    For the strength training try p90x. It's the best DVD out there for that. And you see results right away. For cardio, I do either insanity or turbo fire, just because insanity isn't for everyone. And turbo fire does the same thing just in 90dsys. Message me and I can send u to a site where you can learn more About them and get a deal for them

YES I agree. I always say P90 is to weights what Insanity is to cardio.
  • alicia_louise29
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Yes I've looked into P90x and I will purchase the resistance bands or the anchor for the door as mine is missing so I can't use it! Insanity looks crazy but I wanted to try that once I've got my stamina up abit more so probably after the Shred. I'm going to try the fat banishing one with the shred for now and see how it goes. Can't wait to actually get toned! Thanks for all your help :)