Invaded by food aliens

Options
I've been doing the "healthy" eating and exercising religiously for several months now....

This morning I woke up craving sweets (nope, not that time of the month either) so I had my usual breakfast of apples and almond butter, did my exercising, drank my water, had a healthy lunch of bean soup with avocado and 6 tortilla chips.

In other words I'm doing everything I usually do and I'm still craving desserts....so I caved and ate some cookies...definitely going to be over the calorie limit today even with an hour on the elliptical.

So, why now????!!! Why would a craving attack after all this time????

Help!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    I've been doing the "healthy" eating and exercising religiously for several months now....

This morning I woke up craving sweets (nope, not that time of the month either) so I had my usual breakfast of apples and almond butter, did my exercising, drank my water, had a healthy lunch of bean soup with avocado and 6 tortilla chips.

In other words I'm doing everything I usually do and I'm still craving desserts....so I caved and ate some cookies...definitely going to be over the calorie limit today even with an hour on the elliptical.

So, why now????!!! Why would a craving attack after all this time????

Help!

:flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself Alaskagal! In my opinion, you are doing awesome. I have a sweet craving every stinkin' day and I think some of us are more apt to it than others. My question to you is (and I think I know the answer) have you quit eating all sweets cold turkey? Are you not even allowing yourself an occasional treat? That tends to make a body angry:angry: The more we restrict ourselves from things, the more we want it. I like to have a little Hershey kiss after dinner (22 cals) and that seems to work for me......okay, sometimes I have 3.....but still, maybe you should give that a try and see if that does the trick.
  • jaxkipi
    jaxkipi Posts: 233
    Options
    I'd like to know too...why? It's not my time of the month either and last night I ate a hole into the bottom of the nilla wafers box. It was the most I had eaten in over a month...Have no clue why.

I thought maybe it was a combo of being tired, bored, and ovulation? Dunno.

One of my doctors told me that when you're tired, your body releases a "hungry" hormone...that's not really the name of it....but it's a hormone that makes you think you're hungry....I thought that was interesting.
  • alaskagal
    alaskagal Posts: 326
    Options
    Don't beat yourself Alaskagal! In my opinion, you are doing awesome. I have a sweet craving every stinkin' day and I think some of us are more apt to it than others. My question to you is (and I think I know the answer) have you quit eating all sweets cold turkey? Are you not even allowing yourself an occasional treat? That tends to make a body angry:angry: The more we restrict ourselves from things, the more we want it. I like to have a little Hershey kiss after dinner (22 cals) and that seems to work for me......okay, sometimes I have 3.....but still, maybe you should give that a try and see if that does the trick.

Thanks for the encouragement, SoupNazi. Normally, I build a dessert (love WW Smart Ones chocolate chip cookie dough sundae) into my allotted calories for the day. I don't have one every day but several times a week, plus fruits and a trail mix that I make with nuts, cranberries, semi sweet chocolate morsels. So that was the long way of saying no, I haven't quit sweets cold turkey (fooled ya, didn't I? :wink: ) What would be the point of getting up each day if there wasn't going to be dessert? :tongue: Just kidding!!

Still don't know why today is so much more of an issue though....strange... definitely is the food aliens. I'm sure ya'll hear about them landing in Alaska on the news tonight :noway:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    You did fool me. BTW, I just had a Weight Watchers Key Lime pie for the first time....wow, I am inlove!
    But I really think some of us are more prone to craving sweets than others. Take, for instance, my husband. He never eats sweets like I do and could care less for them other than an occasional cookie. His thing is fried foods. We are so completely different.

I also think sometimes our body craves things for biochemical reasons we do not understand, but our bodies do. There is something that is lacking and our brain tells us that we NEED it.

I watched The Human Limits: Brainpower on the Discovery channel the other night. Now I am very edu-ma-cated.:laugh:
    So again, don't beat yourself up. Besides, you are starting to get buff and beating yourself up might actually hurt now!:tongue: