I need exercising advice!

Options
I've been on here over a year but only started using properly about a week ago. Basically, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for home exercises I could do if I get a spare half hour that don't involve any expensive equipment, and also how much I should be running/jogging a week?

Another thing is that does anyone have any advice on how to maintain the water recommended count? I find it hard and very bloating to drink that much! Any advice how to split it up?

I'd be happy for people to add me on here as I need to get my butt into gear and get losing weight so that I look great in my bridesmaid dress for my sister's wedding! :)

Replies

• MsPinVa
    MsPinVa Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Few things,
    1. You can find some equipment cheap on craigslist and garage sales/thrift stores. My best purchase was a mini stepper machine. I don't recall the price brand new, but it wasnt wicked high. Jumprope! Just pretend in your living room while watching tv, you feel silly - but each minute is 10 kcals. :)

2. Excercise videos/dvds. If purchasing the cheapos at Dollar stores isn't appealing, try the library. Just make sure they are designed for beginners/ intermediate. Not sure about you, but if it is too hard, I won't do it again. I started with beginner yoga and pilate videos, then started finding cheapo kickboxing ones. Also, YouTube! So many videos all for free :)

I don't run/walk - can't really comment on that till my roomie and I get our treadmill.

One water bottle is 2 cups. So, I aim for 1 bottle in the morning before my caffiene fix. 1 during the lunch hour, 1 during dinner time, and 1 before bed. You just have to learn to drink it all. I love the crystal lights (generic of course) to flavor it when I have a sweet craving.
  • jrhose
    jrhose Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Some of my at home exercises that have worked well:
    Zumba
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred
    Jillian Michaels yoga meltdown
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Chalean extreme and p90x are good and all you need is some resistances bands.
  • CJKopp
    CJKopp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just start any exercise slow and easy. As long as you set goals with each session, you will make progress. For example, when I started jogging on a treadmill, I set my goal for 2 miles in 1 hour and each week increasing it by 1/2 mile. I am now up to 4 1/5 miles a day in one hour. But believe me it takes time to work up to that. Just set your mind and go :smile: Good Luck !
  • l0rahhh
    Options
    Thanks guys! Some great advice, i'll keep you updated how it goes! xxxx
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You should be running 4-5 times a week, depending on your fitness level....it is recommended to not run more than 2 days in a row. Mix up your runs...one day do a slow easy run, next day intervals or hills, next do short and quick, next slow easy, next long run...or something like that with rest days in between....

If you have "on demand" thru the tv, their is fitness channels for free...or any dvd is good...you don't need expensive equipment....you can do lunges, squats, push-ups, tricep dips, jumping jacks, jump rope, planks, etc....

As to water, I keep a water bottle filled with me all the time and sip at thru the day....if you are feeling bloated, cut down the amount you are drinking at once....

Good luck!
  • TimWilkinson101
    TimWilkinson101 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do you have a games console (ie a WIi or Kinect)? If so, they have pretty good exercise "games". If not, then you can get pretty good exercise by simple things that cost nothing like using your stairs as a stepper, lifting bean cans as weights etc. You can also do the 100 pushup challenge or 100 situp challenge (google them) as pressups give a surprising body tone up.

But basically, you dont need equipment to get fit. No one can do an infinite amount of pressups or sit ups or crunches or lunges, so just do a bit of a google for an in home exercise routine that suits you. Make sure you change it every month or so, then you wont get bored and your muscles will respond to the new exercises.

Running is good, but take it steady and make sure you have the correct trainers or you could end up doing more harm than good (I damaged my knees).
  • MiNiMoNkI
    MiNiMoNkI Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Home dvds are great, i can suggest any of Jillian Michael's most only last 20-30 minutes, i have used, 3o day shred, 6 wk 6 pack, and yoga meltdown, the 30DS helped me lose a stone in 30 days and helped build my stomach and arm muscles, i love it and still do it now x