Is this cheating??

Options
Last night I had a little peppermint schnapps after dinner. Now, I was still under my caloric intake for the day, but is it cheating? I don't know much about alcahol, but I do know that it has a lot of sugar in it.
If I still wanted my peppermint schnapps, would it have been a wiser choice to have it earlier in the day, so I had a change to work off the sugar, or do you think it makes no difference?

TIA

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Cheat

verb (used without object)
    4. to practice fraud or deceit: She cheats without regrets.
    5. to violate rules or regulations: He cheats at cards.
    6. to take an examination or test in a dishonest way, as by improper access to answers.

Unless you're subject to some kind of "no peppermint schnapps" rule, I don't see how it could be cheating.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Lower proof liquors will have sugar, and generally should be avoided when trying to loose weight, but I imagine the usual method of drinking schnapps (a shot generally) is not typically enough to totally derail someone.

It's better to typically drink "harder" liquor, usually over 80 proof which mitigates or eliminates the amount of sugar in them. Alcohol, whenever taken in, is the first fuel to burn. While that's going on, your body will not burn fat. This does not stop the weight loss, it simply postpones it, since the alcohol does not store as glycogen, you immediately go back into ketosis/lipolysis after the alcohol is used up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Last night I had 1/2 a bottle of wine with dinner. I do that most nights. It hasn't kept me from losing weight, so if it is cheating then I am a happy to be a thin cheater.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Last night I had 1/2 a bottle of wine with dinner. I do that most nights. It hasn't kept me from losing weight, so if it is cheating then I am a happy to be a thin cheater.

*sob* this is me -- well, the first part then i got lost at "it hasnt kept me..." part *double sob*

ps. now OP you have reminded me i have dr. mcguillicuddy's in my freezer WTF!!!?? and its not even lunch time yet... :D
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating if you log it. I have been known to workout a little extra to budget for a glass (or two) of red wine :)
  • Shell_7609
    Shell_7609 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Last night I had a little peppermint schnapps after dinner. Now, I was still under my caloric intake for the day, but is it cheating? I don't know much about alcahol, but I do know that it has a lot of sugar in it.
    If I still wanted my peppermint schnapps, would it have been a wiser choice to have it earlier in the day, so I had a change to work off the sugar, or do you think it makes no difference?

TIA

I don't think it makes any difference, just log the calories from it
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    ps. now OP you have reminded me i have dr. mcguillicuddy's in my freezer WTF!!!?? and its not even lunch time yet... :D

I have some sitting in my freezer too, might have to have some in my tea tonight. It's seriously one of my favorite ways to wind down from the week, half a shot of alcohol in a cup of tea, mellows me right out!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a history of breast cancer, 2 drinks a week is good for the body. If you're a fitness competitor and you live on oatmeal and chicken cutlets then I guess you have to pas, but for the rest of us, a little bit of alkie is a good thing.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I usually work alcohol off! :drinker:
    One way or another :blushing:
  • malibulu
    Options
    the only person you can cheat is yourself - log the calories on your diary as normal. I always always log my every calorie if I can as accurately as possible. I go over sometimes...today I've gone right over. I'll make up for it elsewhere. Do what makes you happy. You have to live your life right? xx
  • elg1982
    elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Nope, not cheating if you logged it in your food diary.

You have to let yourself have occasional treats to be successful. IMO life is too short to not enjoy good food and good drinks. The key is moderation.
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    No way, it isnt cheating! Whenever I work out, if I burn the amount of calories i'm supposed to burn when exercising each day then i let myself have a guilt free treat. like last night i had a some potato chips because i earned it, but if i dont burn the amount of calories i'm supposed to when exercising then i usually wont have something that day unless it fits into my calories, sugars, sodium, etc.
  • dshalemiller
    dshalemiller Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Is this also while keeping under or equal to your daily calorie intake? I'm trying to stay around 1200 calories a day but 2 large glasses of wine would be impossible unless i starved during the day.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Probably no difference in what time of day you drank it. Also, it is not cheating. You have to enjoy what your eating and drinking or this will never work long term.

Enjoy it, do it, live it, be under your calories! Besides, if it was bad for you, then you will probably feel it the next day in your workout or body and decide to make better choices next time. But if you feel great, then no worries, just don't let it be your only calories consumed! :)
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Alcohol has lots of calories--whether it's beer, wine, or booze. If you drink excessively, even if you stay within your calorie allotment, your body will spend its time processing the alcohol out of your system and you will not burn off the fat you are trying to lose.

So . . . enjoy a drink from time to time. But don't drink everyday and don't drink more than one or two (except very rarely), or you will have more trouble losing weight.

As for the poster who drinks a half bottle of wine or more everyday, that will catch up with you.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    It's not the sugar in alcohol I'd be worried about, but rather the fact that the body will metabolize alcohol above anything else first, so too much or drinking excessively or frequently can cause stalls. Otherwise, meh.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's not cheating. It's called "living." You're allowed to live a normal life while losing weight. I'd even encourage it. That'll make it easier to keep it off when you stop losing weight.