Anyone with RA? (Rheumatoid Arthritis)

Options
Hi!

I'm new to the site, and I am wondering if anyone out there has RA. What kind of exercises work best for you?

I used to be very active, but since the inflammation is intense in my shoulders and knees, I feel extremely limited and I'll be honest, I'm jealous of all my friends who do P90X and Insanity. I want to do that so badly, but can't.

What kind of work outs have been beneficial to you?

P.S. Add me if you can identify, or have helpful tips. :D

Replies

• letsgetit
    Options
    Walking is good and the more i do it, the more the imflammation gets somewhat better.
    elliptical is low impact but you can stil get a high intensity workout in.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you. I don't have RA but I do feel very limited in my workout selections. One thing I'm looking into is joining my local Y with an indoor pool. I think swimming is probably the best route if that is an option for you.
  • peachea
    peachea Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i am currently being evaluated for RA. My RA doc believes I have it but we're waiting on the labs. I have all of the symptoms, joint tenderness, swelling, all over body aches, extreme fatigue, stiffness, shooting pains in joints. My RH factor was high and my ANA was positive from the hospital.

I have found that walking during flares and fatigue does not help. During those times, I rest. When I am not in a flare, I will walk, but I'd like to try biking as it's not so hard on the ankles and knees.

Also, I've found that my flares are usually during times of dehydration. I've found that if I've not had enough water for the day, I begin to feel weak and in minimal pain. The more dehydrated I become, the bigger the flare.

it's been awhile since you last posted about this, so i'm hoping you are doing well and you've found something that works.

I'm in a flare right now. This is a horrible, horrible disease.
  • lauriebizz
    lauriebizz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey - I'm also being evaulated for RA, Lupus and Psariatic Athoritis... I'm a train wreck. I rest when I'm flaring and I've recently tried running again. I had a precancerous mole removed from my foot this past summer, so it's been a bit tough to run.

Laurie
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I have had lupus for 12 years, which isn't RA but it's close.

Personally I walk a lot and I like pilates. Swimming is good if you have access to a pool. The main thing is to do enough exercise to stay active but not to do anything that could injure whichever joints are inflamed.
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post but I thought I'd give you a reply. I've suffered with RA for nearly 20 years now. I've found that walking is good for me but NOT when it is in my feet or joints in my legs. Not even bicycling is an option for me when I have a bad flare anywhere in my lower regions. Then I'm lucky if I can stand and shuffle around as I move upper body in excess trying to get cardio in doing Zumba which I LOVE. (I do it at home to the DVDs). You need to do as much as you can without irritating your inflamed joints and everyone is different. Good luck! Getting in tune with your own body is key.