wake-up call at the doctors today

Options
I went to the doctors for my annual physical, and I usually leave with a declaration of perfect health.

Well, not this year.

An few hours after my appointment. my doctor called with the results of my blood test, and it turns out I have high cholesterol. Only by a few points, but it is still high, and it was nowhere close to this number in previous years. I'm only 18 years old, and I work out for an hour a day, and I have been ignorant of the fact that just because my weight falls into the "healthy" range, I am not necessarily healthy. I have always thought about food in terms of calories and whether or not it will make me gain weight, but I have honestly never given thought to what else junk food does to my body. I was sent packets on how to eat a healthier diet, and I am going to work to have lower cholesterol when I go back for a blood test in May!

Replies

• loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking this head on!
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is power. At least you know now and are wanting to make changes. I wish you the best.
  • dianefmurphy
    dianefmurphy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Thank goodness you have the knowledge and can work on this while you are young. Just think how much healthier you will be throughout your life. Be strong!
  • _xoxok
    _xoxok Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best!! You can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    good for you!! I think it's a common misconception that just because someone is a healthy weight then they must be healthy. Not true at all.... One of my friend's son's was 10 at his last dr's appointment and the dr was concerned because his cholesterol was pretty high - at 10. People eat crap -- doesn't matter if it falls into calorie range -- it's still crap. I see people on here say 'eat anything as long as it falls within your calories' - not a good idea... You have to take into account what you're putting into your body... It's all a puzzle. But good for you on moving forward and trying to live a healthier lifestyle!! :)
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Some people are genetically predisposed to higher cholesterol than others, while others can eat junk and not have issues.

Take care of your body and health! :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Good for you, but be aware, that cholesterol can be temporarily high based on recently eaten foods.
    Don't go changing your whole lifestyle for what could just be bad data.

Its great to see a young person taking care of themselves.

Good Luck.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have high cholesterol too. I found out a few weeks before christmas. Add me if you like :)
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
    It's never too early (or too late!) to start taking care of yourself.
  • CheleLynn44
    CheleLynn44 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found it out now when its not to bad and can be corrected with diet and not medication. Sometimes its family history working against us too. Good luck!!
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Good for you! The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Healthy weight doesn't necessarily mean health! So here's to treating our bodies better! :drinker:
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You are here so you are doing the right thing! I wish I would have learned this stuff years ago. You will do well. Stick to it and never, ever, ever give up. The benefits far exceed the price and eventually the price turns into the actual reward...(it made sense when the thought first crossed my mind).
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! I also had a wake up call at my doctor's today. We can get this done together. I am rooting you on as I am trying to help my daughter lose weight also.

Hugs
    Bev
  • kasammons
    kasammons Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Some people are genetically predisposed to higher cholesterol than others, while others can eat junk and not have issues.

Take care of your body and health! :smile:

My daughter was diagnosed with high cholestrol when she was in middle school. When we met with the dietician she asked what we ate thinking that might be the culprit and other than cheese and cookies our family diet was pretty healthy. It was a genetic disposition.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Good for you that you found out at such a young age. With an adjustment in diet you should have no problems.
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    more power to you for getting the tests done and then taking the steps to change it.

One question though-did you ask for the breakdown of the cholestrol numbers? There are basically 2 types- LDL and HDL. If the LDL is on the lower end and the HDL is on the higher end then that may not be quite as bad (but do your own research on this topic). The HDL can go up when you eat the good stuff like plant-based fats such as avocados and nuts and from exercising and your liver and that kind of cholestrol basically keeps your arteries "clean" while the LDL- which comes from animal products like meat, dairy, eggs, cheese, and your liver, etc. and makes things not so clean. (At the risk of sounding offensive I teach my students to think of LDL as the husband and HDL as the wife: LDL just comes in and throws the dirty socks and underwear on the floor and the HDL comes and cleans it up- hey the things I gotta come up with to get my students to learn!!). Also, remember your body produces cholestrol too so you may want to ask (if you already haven't) if there is anyway to know if this is from what your body is producing or from your diet because some people do produce more cholestrol.

Anyway, just a little food for thought, sorry to be so wordy. Great job in taking heed and making some changes that are geared towards health and not JUST looks!!! This is why we are here right!!! All the best to you!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your new plan! I hope you can beat it without having to take meds.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    eat clean and stay away from stuff that comes in a box, bag, or takeout container. You'll pass the next test with flying colors unless it's a genetic reason you're getting high results.