Treadmills and calories burned.

Options
To start off my weightloss journey, I have been doing 25-30min of walking a day on my treadmill at a speed of 2.0-3.0 (I switch it up a little every five or ten minutes).

The treadmill I own is not a fancy one with alot of different options, and in order to adjust the incline you have to do it yourself, rather than just pressing a button like ones I have used before. I am still going at the same speeds, just with the highest incline my machine will allow, but I don't believe the calorie count on the meter is accurate. Also, when I imput my time and excersise on MFP, it says my calories burned are double what my machine reads. Could someone please help me figure out how to accurately measure how many calories I'm burning? Should I just go by what my machine says, or by MFP?

Replies

• AnnettLynn
    Options
    If anyone has any information for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Time to continue my workout! I'll be back in a bit.
  • abitzan
    abitzan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you do not want to go out an buy a heart rate monitor to accuratly track the calories I would error on the side of caution and take whatever value is lower.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    You should go by what MFP says. MFP knows your height and weight and will be more accurate than the machine, which doesn't know those things. :)
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    Well thank you for your comments!

I was going with what was lower, in all honesty. I'm pretty new to this, and I don't really have any funds to spare at this time. All I have is my crummy treadmill and the hope that I can shed some of these pounds. I just didn't want to be lying to myself or getting my hopes up with the calories burned on MFP, given it's double than what my machine tells me.

I've been walking a mile in half an hour or so, for the past few days. I know this doesn't seem like much, but before my decision for a healthier lifestyle this year, I wasn't the least bit active.