What was your first Zumba class like?

Options
So, I tried Zumba for the first in my life today with the help of the DVD (step-by-step instructions of the basic moves), and I loved it! Now I am thinking about going to actual class so I wanted to hear your opinion. I am really uncoordinated person and I am not sure what will happen to me there. Did you get the moves right when you were there for the first time? Would you advise me to practice with the DVD for a while before going to class?

Any thoughts and opinions appreciated! I would love to hear about your experience! Thanks!

Replies

• emmamcblain
    Options
    I've not even tried the DVD, but the class looks like a lot of fun. I'd like to know this too. :)
  • svfd235
    svfd235 Posts: 26
    Options
    I Loves it, I had never done zumba when I went to the class and the instructor was really nice and easy to follow, she would do the same dances for about two weeks so it didnt take long to catch on. Just have fun with and there were even some men in my class that came to work out to zumba with their wives :)
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Just go, have fun and don't worry about it because you will not be the only uncoordinated person there. I have been going to a Zumba class since July of last year, and honestly I could still be the most uncoordinated person in the room but I have so much fun doing it I really do not care. If you would be more comfortable doing the DVD a few more times before going but the main this is when you are there to just keep moving, you may not be able to keep up/know the steps but you will learn them and the speed comes with time!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    zumba.jpg

My SIL made me do it.....
  • herbgirl23
    herbgirl23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went to a few classes and I absolutely LOVED IT!!! I love to dance, so it was perfect. Sometimes I got a bit confused with the steps, but nobody was paying attention. I don't go to that gym anymore, but I just bought the Wii Zumba. I like it, but it's not nearly as fun as the classes.
  • vashtione
    Options
    My first Zumba experience was at a class. I was kinda lost for the first bit, but after that I caught on and had a blast! If you know the basic moves you should be fine :) enjoy!!
  • lynnehoughton
    Options
    Hi my first Zumba class was amazing. The sweat flew off me but its very addictive. Go once a week but also have Wii game. I believe the saying is "it doesn't matter if you don't get all the moves right , its how much effort you put in " AND its great fun x
  • renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah.. it was lots of fun.. i tried the class this week and just love the energy.. I was hearing so many good things about it and was super excited to start.. Instructor was awesome too.. :-)
  • herbgirl23
    herbgirl23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hysterical. So true!
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Zumba on the Kinect at home. After 3 days of it, I'm pretty sure I'd get laughed out of the class at the gym! Can you say "Two Left Feet"? But I'm having fun doing it alone right now. Eventually I hope to feel ready for a group class though. I say "Why not?" if you want to give it a try. Everybody there will have had a first time.
  • chrisbromagen
    Options
    I loved it, but I feel like I am REALLY uncoordinated! Glad I'm not using the Kinect because I don't think I would want to see myself! LOL
  • gigiwaterloo
    gigiwaterloo Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Any thoughts and opinions appreciated! I would love to hear about your experience! Thanks!

I tried Wii Zumba for the 1st time last Saturday & felt like a Gumby (all over the place) but I enjoyed it, broke a GOOD sweat & got a good work out out of it! I was however in the comfort of my own home so I didn't care what I looked like. I loved it and plan on continuing it on a regular basis. It's my understanding that Zumba is like any other exercise. With practice you get better & better & as long as you are giving it your best, then you are doing an awesome job! Go for it and just ENJOY yourself!!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Zumba classes are awesome. You're dancing, you're sweating... what's not to love? Don't worry if you don't get all the moves. It's a lot of fun and there's no judgment, so don't delay. Go.
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    OMG, that photo is a PERFECT description. My first class was so intimidating because I am not coordinated at all. After a few weeks I realized that most people weren't all that coordinated and whenever a new song was introduced pretty much EVERYONE was flailing around trying to figure it out but no one cared. I absolutely love Zumba. I am definitely better than I was but I still can't watch myself in the mirror because I look like a spaz half the time. It doesn't matter, however. It is a fantastic work out and I always feel great after!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    My first experience was also at a class. I was a bit lost; because the class was fast paced but it wasn't too bad (but I bellydanced for years, so maybe it helped?). Anyways, it was fun and I love zumba although I can't attend the classes anymore.

Just go and have fun, honestly, most people couldn't follow properly, so it's not an issue. You'll know all the moves after a few classes.
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    zumba.jpg

My SIL made me do it.....

Haha, love it!
  • twinmommy508
    Options
    My first Zumba class was HYSTERICAL!!! I laughed at myself the entire time and probably for the next few classes...Once I got it, I was hooked!!!! Unfortunately the tendons in my feet were not...After about 6 months of Zumba, I couldn't do it anymore...BUT I have the Wii at home and I am thinking of getting Zumba!
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I was a bit lost at my first class, my instructor was great...she was always watching us and would stop when needed to give us instruction. She'd also come dance right near you so you picked up on the steps a bit better.

When you go on a regular basis with the same instructor you will pick up on her/his routine. I always had fun in the class but a great instructor can make a huge difference.
  • kathyruffner
    Options
    I started Zumba class in October 2010 and haven't stopped yet!! Don't be shy . . . go and have a great time! My first time I thought, "I'll never get these steps!" but I did after only a few weeks! I've made several friends and us zumba gals come in a wide array of sizes so go and have a blast! I go three times a week, Monday, Wednesday and Saturday . . . . Love it love it love it <3<3<3
  • katlaurance
    katlaurance Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The first time I took a Zumba class my thought was OH MY GOODNESS, WHAT HAVE I BEEN MISSING?? I adored it from the get go. I actually went to a training session and became an instructor. At 52 years of age. I can't say enough good things about it. The time flies, I sweat like crazy and my heart rate is up there. Great workout.

Don't worry about what everyone else is doing. They're concentrating on their own feet, not yours. And from my experience, everyone is very friendly and non-judgemental. If you go to the same instructor's class for a bit, you'll have the moves down pat. Just go and HAVE FUN!!