How do I increase speed?

Options
I know, run faster.

But is there a systematic method?

I'm signed up for a 5k in March (and then a mud one in April). I currently run outside 2x/week, 3 miles in 30 mins. I'd like to get faster. Should I run that as intervals even though I won't do that for the race (or does anyone do races in intervals?)? Or should I run it straight as in the race but somehow use my HRM to gauge effort? Or just go all out for the last mile? What.

I'm also weight training and there's a systematic approach to gaining strength, so I'm hoping there's an equally systematic structure for gaining speed since "just go faster" doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thanks!

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Paloff press and anti-rotations to get your core stronger so it can take the additional beating. Clean and Jerk, Snatches, Fast Box Squats to get you fast
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have to look up every single one of those!
  • donjshaw
    Options
    An easy way to increase your steady running speed is to do interval training. One day, or maybe two days per week, jog slowly for 5 minutes and then try and run quicker for 1 minute then take 1-2 minutes off and do this up to 10 times. Your goal would be to do 1 min fast, 1 min walk 10 times - complete the session with a 5 minute slow jog. You will find that your running pace increases by doing this. Hope it helps! :)
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have to look up every single one of those!

My co-worker runs marathons for years now, and she is dealing with a hernia. She says that its a common injury in the long distance running crowd. The Paloff Press and Anti-Rotation are great to get your abdominals up to par to risk injury. The other ones are awesome for adding strength, just do them right, doing any exercise wrong can lead to injury.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm using the plan in the book Run Less Run Faster. It's been amazing how in two weeks I was already faster. And now 4 weeks in I ran a training run 30 seconds mpm faster than my training plan is set at. It's been great since I'm super busy and it's only 3 days running

Also, I'm a firm believer in distance first then speed.
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Thanks Don. Is it better to walk during recovery rather than jog (eg, more complete heart rate recovery allows for stronger output on the run parts)? Bc when I've done intervals I always jog in between and wonder now if that detracts. Is there a credible site that describes the nitty gritty?
  • donjshaw
    Options
    Truth is, with all this advice, you have to pick the one that works for you. I have never done other exercise in my life, just running works for me - no weights, no gym, no bend here, stretch there, just good old fashioned plodding round the streets!
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    I'm using the plan in the book Run Less Run Faster. It's been amazing how in two weeks I was already faster. And now 4 weeks in I ran a training run 30 seconds mpm faster than my training plan is set at. It's been great since I'm super busy and it's only 3 days running

Also, I'm a firm believer in distance first then speed.

Oh! Thank you. I'll def check out this resource.

Personally, I don't want to increase distance. It just aint my thing. Though I know many people love the meditative effect & the challenge, my mind gives out (boredom) before my body does.
  • donjshaw
    Options
    Hmmm, runnersworld.co.uk has excellent advice. Walk if you need to, jog if you can. That's what I do! The top runners (I've done 10K in 33 mins but I mean faster than me) do reps and then stay still for 1 minute. Whatever works for you, go for it! :)
  • Cindy_Fit4Life
    Cindy_Fit4Life Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    An easy way to increase your steady running speed is to do interval training. One day, or maybe two days per week, jog slowly for 5 minutes and then try and run quicker for 1 minute then take 1-2 minutes off and do this up to 10 times. Your goal would be to do 1 min fast, 1 min walk 10 times - complete the session with a 5 minute slow jog. You will find that your running pace increases by doing this. Hope it helps! :)

I'm also doing a 5k in May, this is GREAT advice and I'm definitely going to apply it!
  • grapenutSF
    Options
    Ya, I'm geeky so I'm fond of overthinking these things. I'll check out that site and then just experiment.

10k in 33mins, wowza. Well done, sir.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Just run more. At only 2x per week, it's going to be tough to build much speed. Run more often, run a little longer when you do, and speed will come along with it. THEN you can start playing around with the intervals & all that otehr type of workouts.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    More mileage and maybe some fartleks.

You need the base to support speedwork.
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    interval training my dad (who is a serious marathon runner) suggested to me for increasing speed. he suggested running fast from one powerpole to the next, next powerpole jog to it, then next one at increased speed again. over time this will build up your speed :)