Distilled water... BIG MISTAKE.

Options

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

whoa. never heard of this. smh
  • Kirabelly
    Options
    I use it in my cpap humidifier and for my neti pot thingy. I've never attempted to drink it though. Good to know.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    WOW...
    HOW,can anything PURE be bad for you?
    Good article thoughl gave me more insight,as to the
    Many reasons I Have BEEN DRINKING DISTILLEDWATER
    FOR Over 20 years,delivered monthly,and,knock wood,haven't died yet! If you eat clean,Ubprocessed, &lots of
    Dark green leafies You will receive the necessary minerals/ nutrients your body needs,making it More
    Alkaline,which is. What we want.News to me, its recommended for Infant formula!!!!Now,how can THAT
    Be bad?
  • osuzorba
    osuzorba Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    its recommended for Infant formula!!!!Now,how can THAT Be bad?

Once you mix in the formula, the water is no longer distilled.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It's not a problem if your hydrated from the tap as well. As the name says, "distilled". Basically that means it's been boiled and the steam re-condensed. (Yup, like whiskey). At that point it should be inert. I would lean more towards there being a sickness already there exaserbated by the dehydration. I am not a doctor or scientist though, just someone who's consumed lots of distilled water without noticing anything. The company would be shut down if they were knowingly marketing and selling a dangerous substance without a warning label.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I use it in my cpap humidifier and for my neti pot thingy. I've never attempted to drink it though. Good to know.

Yeah, best not use tap water in a neti pot. A woman in the US died last month from a brain-eating organism (naegleria fowleri) that is harmless when swallowed, but fatal if inhaled because it was in her tap water and she used a neti pot... Stick with distilled!

It's also good for CPAP, primarily I believe, because it won't leave behind the minerals in the water chamber. I don't know if that's the only issue, but that brain-eating thing is probably another reason to avoid tap water... (Steam inhalation during showering is also potentially dangerous). The only way to avoid this really is filtration.

Obviously the likelihood of this happening to you is low, but why take unnecessary risks with a CPAP that you use every night, and neti pot? The mortality rate of an n. fowleri infection is close to 100% and death comes quickly.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options

Yeah, best not use tap water in a neti pot. A woman in the US died last month from a brain-eating organism (naegleria fowleri) that is harmless when swallowed, but fatal if inhaled because it was in her tap water and she used a neti pot... Stick with distilled!

It's also good for CPAP, primarily I believe, because it won't leave behind the minerals in the water chamber. I don't know if that's the only issue, but that brain-eating thing is probably another reason to avoid tap water... (Steam inhalation during showering is also potentially dangerous). The only way to avoid this really is filtration.

Obviously the likelihood of this happening to you is low, but why take unnecessary risks with a CPAP that you use every night, and neti pot? The mortality rate of an n. fowleri infection is close to 100% and death comes quickly.

Gaah. Something else to worry about. Here's the CDC link with the real scoop on how to avoid: http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but this sounds like a lot of scaremongering to me..... I seriously doubt that drinking distilled water is going to be all that bad for you. It's water that has been boiled and the vapour collected so it is going to have less minerals etc dissolved in it.

Perhaps if it is all you drink you might end up deficient in something that you usually get from your water - but I don't see how it is going to give you an upset stomach. If you are eating a varied and balanced diet then you will be getting all kinds of goodies from your food and the impact of your water if going to be pretty neglibible.

To the OP, I'm sorry you got sick, but unless the water has been stored improperly and has been contaminated, it seems pretty unlikely that it made you sick.

For everyone else - I don't see any benefit in spending your money to drink distilled water, but I doubt that the occasional glass is going to kill you!
  • sarahness
    sarahness Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I didnt know this. I always drink distilled water. I love the taste of it. I HATE spring water.
  • denbeck2
    Options
    Okay guys I had to commet on this one...I drink Kangen water ...it is alkaline water and much better for you...most all of the bottled waters are acidic and that is where sickness and disease live...sickness and disease cannot live in an alkaline body.....the human body is made up of approximately 70 % water...so water plays a very important role in our lives...Change your water..Change your life
  • diannehunt944
    diannehunt944 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking it for months and feel fine and am not dehydrated nor mineral deficient . I am in FB groups with folks who have been drinking Distilled Water for 30+ years; I think if they were going to die from it, they would have by now.

It doesn't 'leech minerals' from your body. It is exactly the same as rainwater. I buy the Pureau water from Woolies, but when I move to the bush I will distil my own.
  • WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    There is a difference between distilled and what is called double distilled or de-ionized water ( there is a long chemical explanation for this, if you have trouble sleeping look it up on line)

Long story short, de-stilled de-ionized water is bad for your systems and water in this state will pull minerals, etc. from the environment. I work in a laboratory setting and we cannot us de-ionize or distilled water in any kind of metal equipment ( incubators, water baths) as it will corrode the metal.
    Certainly not something you want in your system.

If you feel like you need to drink it make sure you are drinking only distilled water, not distilled de-ionized water.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    So...I understand that one would not want to drink solely distilled water all the time or for a prolonged period of time --- but why would it make someone feel sick just by drinking it once? Just wondering how it could have that serious of an effect when I'd imagine you'd need to be drinking only distilled water for a significant amount of time to have any ill-effects?

I use distilled water in my neti pot and to make beer....I don't like the taste of distilled water.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Distilled water is way too pure and made for things like appliances or science related things. I worked at a pet store and every pet we sold we had to be very clear to tell the owner's never to use distilled water. All the vital minerals are removed. Bottled water, filtered water, all ok. Never distilled.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you consume no other ions while drinking distilled water the water may be dangerous as that will pull water into cells which may be dangerous (your body does this to dilute the intracrellular fluid because drinking pure water dilutes your extracellular fluid).'

So if you're consuming minerals from other beverages or things like food, then drinking distilled water is not overly a concern. It will of course not be recommended by the supplier as there is the potential for an igmo to fast while just drinking distilled water and end up killing themselves, while this is less of a concern with something like tap water that likely has some dissolved mineral content.

• fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Interesting. We keep distilled water in the house for my husbands CPAP and for our sump pump battery back up. So it has it's uses, but I don't drink it. Might start using it for my neti pot.
  • bbastin55
    bbastin55 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    recriger wrote: »
    It's not a problem if your hydrated from the tap as well. As the name says, "distilled". Basically that means it's been boiled and the steam re-condensed. (Yup, like whiskey). At that point it should be inert. I would lean more towards there being a sickness already there exaserbated by the dehydration. I am not a doctor or scientist though, just someone who's consumed lots of distilled water without noticing anything. The company would be shut down if they were knowingly marketing and selling a dangerous substance without a warning label.

^^This

• rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I used with my son's formula when he was first born!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of reverse osmosis water, but I've been drinking distilled water since I was a child and I've never had anything happen to me.

Distilled was way safer for me than the public water supply, our municipal water supply is down river from catfood factories.