protein shakes?

Options
I have heard that people have protein shakes to help with weight loss, i was always under the assumption that they make you gain weight for some reason

So whats the deal with them, can anyone help me?

Also i mentioned this to a friend today and they said that its just a susbtitute for food like complan or slim fast, is that correct? will it just fill you up or does it bulk you up?

Replies

• TLC84
    TLC84 Posts: 8
    Options
    I got this off of webmd so I hope it Helps you a little.

What are the benefits of protein shakes?

Safe for people who are healthy and fit, protein shakes are used mainly by athletes who need nourishment right after their workouts, says Jose Antonio, chief executive officer and co-founder of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN). 'Most people can't make a meal immediately post-workout', he says. 'So these ready-to-drink shakes are really your best alternative'.

According to the ISSN, protein shakes are a safe way to ensure enough protein, when used as part of a balanced, nutrient-rich diet. This counters the view that protein shakes can be harmful to kidneys or bones.

Although research hasn't proven their role in sports performance and muscle strength, protein shakes may offer certain benefits.
    An endurance athlete may find it easier to train with the help of protein shakes, says Antonio. That's because they help the body recover from intense exercise. Protein shakes do this mainly by restoring muscle glycogen, a fuel source for exercise, which gets used up during workouts.
    For the strength athlete, protein shakes can also help repair damage to muscles that can occur with serious bodybuilding.
    The general fitness enthusiast who works out hard but doesn't want to be a marathon runner or bodybuilder may also benefit, says Antonio. This is the kind of person who might run twice a week and lift weights twice a week.
    Some research shows other benefits as well. For example, a study of 130 U.S. Marines looked at intense exercisers who supplemented their diet with 10 g of protein, 8 g of carbohydrates, and 3 g of fat. They had fewer infections, less heat exhaustion, and less muscle soreness. Some protein shakes may help with weight management, as well. But more research is needed to confirm this.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have heard that people have protein shakes to help with weight loss, i was always under the assumption that they make you gain weight for some reason

So whats the deal with them, can anyone help me?

Also i mentioned this to a friend today and they said that its just a susbtitute for food like complan or slim fast, is that correct? will it just fill you up or does it bulk you up?

I think some of your confusion about gaining weight from shakes is that there are a good number of protein shakes out there called "Weight Gainers".

People use those shakes to substantially up their calories in order to build muscle and.. gain weight.

The protein shakes that most people talk about here are simple Whey Protein and are fairly low calorie. They are a good way to supplement protein intake when your whole food sources are not allowing you to hit your goals.
  • BeautifulArtemis
    BeautifulArtemis Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Check out Unjury.com. They explain a lot!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    A lot of guys do use protein powder to "bulk up" because protein is necessary to build the muscle they are training to hard to build. This doesn't at all mean that protein powder will intrinsically make you gain weight. The people looking to bulk often are also taking in about 200-3500 calories per day (not simply adding in a 200 cal protein shake.
    As a vegetarian, I drink protein shakes most days (mostly days I don't feel like eating much) to help ensure that I get enough complete protein since I work out nearly every day and am looking to build lean muscle mass.
    Just make sure you're within your calorie/macro range, and I can promise you that you definitely will not gain any fat.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for helping people :)
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options

The protein shakes that most people talk about here are simple Whey Protein and are fairly low calorie. They are a good way to supplement protein intake when your whole food sources are not allowing you to hit your goals.
    ^^^The protein will help you build muscle particularly when you are working out hard and building muscle helps you lose weight.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    This is definitely true. Obviously, if possible you should get your protein from natural food sources. But I routinely have one after a workout too - its just whey protein and water (rarely milk), and its usually <200 calories and plenty of protein. They do fill me up, but bulk is much more about how you lift (though diet does play a role).

Also, regarding what your friend said: SOME over-the-counter shakes (like slimfast) are designed to be meal REPLACEMENTS. i personally try to steer clear of them because I like to have real food at meal times, but that's just me. They also tend to be very high in sugar...
  • WildcatMom82
    WildcatMom82 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I buy whey protein and put it in things like oatmeal and once in awhile smoothies. I don't eat a lot of meat and especially while nursing and pregnant am often short on protein. I tend to not use it so much as meal replacement, but more of a snack or supplement. Plus sometimes it's nice to drink something other than water :)
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Calories from protein are unlike calories from fat or carbohydrates. Because, yes, they can all be converted into energy to fuel your body. But protein is also the main building block for your muscles, hair, fingernails etc. So if you are doing anything that strains your muscles, like strength training or exercising a lot, you should eat extra protein so your body can repair damages. And if you're trying to gain more muscle, again, more protein will help.

Also, the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids in your body also requires amino acids (protein). It's like a fire, you need both fuel and oxygen in order to create a fire, right? Well, this chemical reaction requires roughly three parts fat to one part protein. So if you're trying to burn fat, it is very helpful to make sure you're eating a lot of protein.

If you're maintaining your body weight & composition, you can just go by MFP's guidelines and you probably don't need any supplemental protein.

If you're strength training, exercising a lot, or trying to build muscles, doctors recommend eating 1g protein per every lb of lean body mass. A 150-lb person might have 120 lb lean body mass, so if they're trying to bulk up they'd eat at least 120g protein per day.

If you're trying to lose weight, doctors recommend eating 1g protein per every lb of your total body weight. A 180 lb person would try to eat 180g protein per day.

You can get all your protein exclusively from eating real food, especially if you eat meat and dairy. But vegans and vegetarians often find that they need a protein supplement in order to get enough protein. And people who are more obese and trying to lose weight may have the same issue. I started out weighing over 300 lb, so eating over 300g protein per day would have been impossible if I hadn't used protein shakes.

Hope this helps you make your decision. Good luck to you!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If you're strength training, exercising a lot, or trying to build muscles, doctors recommend eating 1g protein per every lb of lean body mass. A 150-lb person might have 120 lb lean body mass, so if they're trying to bulk up they'd eat at least 120g protein per day.

If you're trying to lose weight, doctors recommend eating 1g protein per every lb of your total body weight. A 180 lb person would try to eat 180g protein per day.

Can you explain to me why someone who is trying to build muscle would need notably less protein than someone trying to lose weight?
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options

Can you explain to me why someone who is trying to build muscle would need notably less protein than someone trying to lose weight?

I dunno, I'm just repeating what my doctor told me. But I would imagine that building muscle takes less protein than burning fat does. The chemical reaction that burns fat takes a LOT of protein, so if you're trying to burn a LOT of fat, well... makes sense to me.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Also review the Protein Grams in the product you drink. Just containing protein is not enough.

How much protein, per calories you will consume is key.

I have seen people on here use Slimfast, or Special K Protein Drink for their "protein drinks" - Slim Fast, special K etc. Often have roughly the same calories (or more) then many "better" protein drinks - we will use 150-200 cals, per drink. (some are more some less)

But they often have half the protein levels, usually closer to 6-10 grams of protein.

A Specialized "better quality" protein Drink will generally have 20-25 grams of protein per serving. Usually with the same, or similar calorie hit.

In comparison, A cup of 2% White milk has 120 cals, and 8 grams of protein.

One cup of lowfat 1% Choclate milk, has 160 cals, and 8 grams of protein

(whole large egg has 6 grams of protein, 90 cals)

This can make a hugh difference if you are at a lower calorie range while losing weight (not a bulking or gain range) AND still trying to get 100 or more grams of protein a day. :)

I have 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass, to keep the lean mass I have, and help me perform better in weight lifting. The minimum protein I have a day is 90-100 grams, aiming for at least 100. I also lose fat more consitantly, when I have at least 1 gram of protein a day.

I am not building much muscle now, as I am cutting bodyfat. But eventually I will move to a muscle building cycle, and then my macros will be adjusted.

If you are Bulking, or actively building muscle, you have more calories to work with in a day.