Going Grocery Shopping....

Options
2»

Replies

• lvnspoonful
    lvnspoonful Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of casseroles this time of year (and my 2 year old son loves them). Easy to make and the leftovers are just as good as the when first made. Here is one and you can alter it to your liking:

1/2 sausage roll - brown and drain (use turkey sausage for some calorie saving)
    3 slices of bread - cut into small pieces
    6 eggs - beat
    1/2 cup milk - mix into eggs (I use whole b/c that is what my son drinks and we have on hand)
    chopped spinach - as much as you'd like! I usually add 1.5cups
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    salt & pepper

combine all and bake in a greased dish for 45 mins at 350 degrees. So yummy and not as many calories as you might think! Add some fruit on the side and it's a great meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner!)

I make something similar except I add roasted red peppers and use ham instead of sausage - it is yummy and my whole family loved it! I also used egg substitute instead of regular eggs. It is surprisingly low in calories and super filling!!!
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but ohsheglows.com is a a vegan recipe blog that has some amazing recipes! Sometimes I'll add meat or just follow the recipe, but I haven't made anything on there that I haven't liked. One thing I'm making from there this week is enchiladas: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6002015
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    There are some yummy ideas in here! I can't offer much since I don't cook, but my go to recipe is a kontos pizza crust, 1/4 cup of ragu pizza sauce, some sort of 2% cheese (usually sargento italian blend), and whatever toppings (usually mushrooms and green peppers).
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    I'm not vegan, but ohsheglows.com is a a vegan recipe blog that has some amazing recipes! Sometimes I'll add meat or just follow the recipe, but I haven't made anything on there that I haven't liked. One thing I'm making from there this week is enchiladas: http://ohsheglows.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6002015

I just checked out the site - YUM!!!! Everything looked so good! It is hard to do vegan meals bc my hubby is totally a meat and potatoes kind of guy but I can try to sneak a few in on him.... :happy:
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes

This is a link to some Cook Yourself Thin Recipes. There are tons of options. This is my favorite one below that my 8-year-old will eat. I got him to try it by showing him there was ketchup in it - miraculous. I don't use the sherry, and you can tweak the sauce if you like it sweeter/less sour/less soy. I don't bother to marinate the meat either, just fry the vegetables, then the pork, dump it all back in together with the sauce and let it cook down a little.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes/sweet-and-sour-pork-chops

Happy cooking!:happy:
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of the skinnytastes website - thanks!
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of casseroles this time of year (and my 2 year old son loves them). Easy to make and the leftovers are just as good as the when first made. Here is one and you can alter it to your liking:

1/2 sausage roll - brown and drain (use turkey sausage for some calorie saving)
    3 slices of bread - cut into small pieces
    6 eggs - beat
    1/2 cup milk - mix into eggs (I use whole b/c that is what my son drinks and we have on hand)
    chopped spinach - as much as you'd like! I usually add 1.5cups
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    salt & pepper

combine all and bake in a greased dish for 45 mins at 350 degrees. So yummy and not as many calories as you might think! Add some fruit on the side and it's a great meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner!)

I make something similar except I add roasted red peppers and use ham instead of sausage - it is yummy and my whole family loved it! I also used egg substitute instead of regular eggs. It is surprisingly low in calories and super filling!!!

I know, there are SO many options and it is pretty low in calories when I entered it into my recipes on MFP. I also make a bacon, swiss and spinach casserole and it's just as great. And you can leave out some of the bread and add any other veggies you'd like too (mushrooms are great in it).
  • crca7118
    Options
    skinnytaste.com is awesome thank you!
  • CRSE1214
    CRSE1214 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Light King Ranch Chicken Casserole (8 servings)

1 large onion, chopped
    1 large green bell pepper, chopped
    Vegetable cooking spray
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken breasts
    1 (10-ounce) can fat-free cream of chicken soup, undiluted
    1 (10-ounce) can fat-free cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    1 (10-ounce) can diced tomato and green chiles
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
    1 (8-ounce) block reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, shredded

Preparation
    1. Sauté onion and bell pepper in a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender.
    2. Stir in chicken and next 6 ingredients; remove from heat.
    3. Tear tortillas into 1-inch pieces; layer one-third tortilla pieces in bottom of a 13"x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with one-third chicken mixture and one-third cheese. Repeat layers twice.
    4. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbly.

I believe its under 300 calories per serving (you may want to double check)
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com or 3 fat chicks .com are great sites.
  • lvnspoonful
    Options
    http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes

This is a link to some Cook Yourself Thin Recipes. There are tons of options. This is my favorite one below that my 8-year-old will eat. I got him to try it by showing him there was ketchup in it - miraculous. I don't use the sherry, and you can tweak the sauce if you like it sweeter/less sour/less soy. I don't bother to marinate the meat either, just fry the vegetables, then the pork, dump it all back in together with the sauce and let it cook down a little.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/cook-yourself-thin/recipes/sweet-and-sour-pork-chops

Happy cooking!:happy:

I will have to check this site out - I love sweet and sour pork so I will probably love the pork chops! Thanks!!!
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • krista010105
    krista010105 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    turkey sausage in a skillet smothered lighly in bbq sauce ( i add tabasco but with the kids you can leave it out) and just cook it til its hot. i put that on top of brown rice with a side of veggies usually broccoli.

chicken breast soaked in salsa and put on a griddle
    I LOVE THE GRIDDLE I CANT COOK WORTH ANYTHING BUT THE GRIDDLE I CAN JUST THROW CHICKEN BREAST, SAUSAGE CUT IN LITTLE CIRCLES, PORK CHOPS, CAN COOK PANCAKES WITH OUT BURNING THEM FOR ONCE, CAN COOK STEAKS, MY HUBBY COOKS STEW MEAT ON IT TOO.

I love chicken noodle soup too

its really easy. boil chicken in water until its cooked to 165 degrees
    while chicken is cooking get some containers of chicken stock and put into a big pot.
    chop up celery and carrots put in the stock and turn on when chicken is cooked shred it and put into the pot with the stock, carrots and celery, then add the egg noodles and cook until noodles are tender. very simple and my 7 and 9 year old love it.

chocolate chip pancakes are very yummy. i add chocolate chips and a little sugar to a box mix. i had a great recipe home made thats even better than the box recipe but cant find it but know it had sugar in it that most recipes didnt have.

roast a chicken in the over. just take a chicken and put some olive oil and what ever seasonings you like. we use lemon pepper. put in a 350 oven until its cooked to atleast 165 in all spots of the chicken. then carve it up just like a turkey and make sandwiches.
  • danniellexxx
    Options
    Salmon, pasta and steamed spinach is a classic....
    Vegetable casserole ... (absolutely amazing!)....