couch to 5K

Options
I have decided to have a go at c25k or, to be more exact, pooch to 5k since I'm doing it with my little pup fat jack.(He's not really fat)

Anyway, I wasn't planning to make an announcement or even tell anyone as I sort of expect to fail. I used to run on the treadmill at my old gym and really enjoyed it, but my previous attempts to tranfer to outdoor running were very unsuccessful. I had to give up that gym when my office relocated about 3 years ago and didnt get around to joining a new one until I joined curves this year and as they dont have a treadmill I've not run at all for some time.

Decided now though that I should tell people what I am hoping to do, so that I will be less likely to give up and can be held accountable if I do.

Wish me luck (and fat jack).

Replies

• kymdarnell
    Options
    I am starting it as well - when I pay off my running shoes - decided if i am going to do it properly I need a decent pair of running shoes - cant wait to pay them off - even got a cool little gadget that goes in under the sole bit of the shoe that will tell me how many cals I burn and how many k's I run - cant wait and best of luck - I will be taking my little bichon with me as well....
  • poochto5k
    Options
    Hi Tracy and Matty

Good on you for including your dogs in your exercise plans. From personal experience, the dogs love the program and there have been such positive effects on their weight and behavior.

If you have any questions about your dog's health or fitness, feel free to drop us an email via the pooch to 5k website, or subscribe to our email newsletter.

Looking forward to hearing about your running adventures with your dogs. :-)

Cheers

Audrey
  • Longbowgilly
    Longbowgilly Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I have tried this twice but have never managed to get past the first week, I am VERY easily distracted, or at least I was!!!
    I have got all of the podcasts downloaded on my ipod, I just need to get all the crappy stuff off my treadmill, or actually go outside and try it!!
  • felicity866
    Options
    i have just done day 3 of week 2 and it is getting better....my little "fat jack" loves to come running as well!!!:laugh:

good luck with it....if it gets tough repeat days.....this works just fine!!

happy new year :drinker:
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    It's a great program!!! My advice is go at your own pace, don't feel like you have to move on to the next week until you are ready. Get fitted for running shoes, and whatever you do do not give up on yourself. I struggled at the beginning, huffing and gasping my way through it. Well guess what? Yesterday I ran for 20 minutes straight!! And breathed fairly normally through it. You will do great!!!
  • PennyNickel14
    PennyNickel14 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Lumi loves couch to 5K. The dog is why I started. She loves the running. I am learning to love it
  • angiek941
    angiek941 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K and just did a half marathon in October. You guys can definitely do this. If you have a smart phone, there's a C25K app that lets you use your own music and tells you when to run and walk. I really liked it over the podcasts because I liked using my own music. Good luck!
  • michaeloro
    Options
    I just started this last week with Guy Hoffman's c25k app'. Its hard but possible. Good luck
  • ShrinkingSusan
    ShrinkingSusan Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site and am starting C25K today as well. My first attempt wasn't too bad considering I have not done any form of exercise at all in recent months. One thing, though, as I progress and run for longer periods... Does anyone have any good advice about regulating my breathing? Will that just come natural or is it something I need to work on?

Best of luck to you all!
  • jlwenberg
    Options
    I am running my first 5k in exactly one week. I also did the couch to 5k and really liked it. I feel great every time I finish a new week. Good luck!
  • jlwenberg
    Options
    We did some short sprints - running as fast as you can for a certain distance. We did it three times after our training. It seemed to help me.
  • nborsh22
    nborsh22 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all of you starting Couch to 5k. Stick with it and go at your own pace and you will make it through the program trust us graduates. :-)

I completed my first round of the program all on the treadmill. I ended Thanksgiving weekend with a 5k on Thanksgiving day. It feels great to get to the end and see how much you have improved. So push through the huffing and puffing and before you know it you'll be running 20 minutes and say I can't believe 60 seconds used to be so hard. The same about 20 min when you reach 30 minutes. This is a great program and really builds up your endurance whether you're on the treadmill or outside.

I have just completed my first week of round 2....I'm working on my speed this time. I know you all can do it....don't give up on yourself. To me it was a challege with myself everytime I started a run and it felt GREAT when I was done and could say I completed another day or week!

Happy New Year to you all and Happy Running!!!
  • MFPLynne
    MFPLynne Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have always (when fit and when not) needed to chew gum when I jog or hike...I swear it helps regulate my breathing.
  • allisami
    allisami Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Im doing C25k also and week 5 day 2 is a killer.. I have had to do it twice to make it through. I don't really get why either. You go from 5 min to 8 minutes and I guess that 3 minutes is a big deal!! I will do it for sure this weekend... I'm ready to anyway!!