BAKING is definitely healthier, but more expensive too?

Options
idk if i'm the only one that has this problem, but i'm all for baking rather than frying, BUT, whenever i bake a lot, i get a HIGH electric bill. am i doing something wrong? if it weren't so expensive, i'd bake every night!

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I never notice much of a difference in my elelctric bill, but you can cook healthy food without baking. Grill, saute, poach, pan fry, use a crock pot, whatever. Fat is high calorie, but don't be afraid to add a little healthy fat to your diet. Your body needs it and it will thank you by keeping you full longer than non-fat food.
  • tpenha
    tpenha Posts: 19
    Options
    You do need the healthy fats, if I "fry" I use 1 to 2 tbsp of Oilve oil... or the sprays.
  • tattooedtealady
    tattooedtealady Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I too don't really notice a change in bills. I cook meals (all meals; breakfast, lunch, dinner) from scratch using fresh produce either cooked on the stove or in the oven! Good luck on your journey, and feel free to add me as a friend if you like :) My food diary is public so that people can see the kind of things I am eating and where I am spending my calories!
  • garysgirl719
    garysgirl719 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I dont know if this is what is happening, but I see a direct correlation between the amount of baking I do and the rise in my electric bill as well. The strange part, my stove is gas. For me, it's that running my oven severly raises the temperature in the house. From that, the AC has to work a lot more to bring it down. That's why we grill A LOT during the heat of Texas summers.
  • thanks for everyone's input... BTW please add me :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed this...but then again, I don't care.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have not noticed a change in my electric bill, but if you can invest in a counter top grill (kind of like George Foreman). I have a cuisinart one and I love it is a griddle, grill, and panini maker. Its great and doesn't use a whole lot of electricity.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Maybe try combining your daily baking into 1-2 weekly baking sessions? I worry about the cost too, so I'll just throw a bunch in at once. Like if I have a bunch of sweet potatoes, I baked 5 at once for the whole week. So for example, if you plan to eat chicken three times this week, have a baked sweet potato, and a pot roast, why not bake it all at the same time? It might require a little more advanced planning on your part, but I find this helps me stay on track with my meals anyways.

Also you only will have to clean up once which is always nice :)
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    that's odd... try a toaster oven ;)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I have never noticed this...but then again, I don't care.

this.
  • sirabe
    sirabe Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    that's odd... try a toaster oven ;)

I was going to suggest a toaster oven too
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Try broiling...much quicker than baking, but then again the higher temperature might have the electric meter spinning off of its tracks...
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Higher electric bill? Never noticed. Who's your provider?
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Most of the time if I'm making a small batch of something I bake in a small counter top convection oven. I don't notice any change in my electric bill from that. It also doesn't heat up the house as much as running my full oven.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Where I live, there are time of use plans to encourage people not to use power during peak power-draw times. If you are on that type of plan and you are using the oven during those times, you will pay quite a bit more for electricity to both cook and cool your house during those times. You might want to check with your provider.
  • Dominion VA Power
  • thanks for the tips :)
  • betterin2012
    Options
    I have just started this site.....just started cooking again....have yet to get a new power bill....toaster oven - here i come!