Sacrifice

Options
My trainer was talking to me today & I have to say I don't agree with her opinion. She says that in order to do this right, everything must be sacrificed. No chocolate, no white carbs, nothing that is even the tiniest bit unhealthy. My view is that I CAN have a chocolate cookie, or a handful or tortilla chips at the mexican restaurant, as long as it's in MODERATION and within my calorie goal & the rest of my food for the day is healthy (fruits, veggies, protein). It's unrealistic to me to expect to never satisfy any craving....and honestly, it's not how I want to live. I want to be healthier, but I'm not willing to deprive myself. I feel like it would be setting myself up for failure.

So how do you feel: cut out anything & everything potentially unhealthy or Eat right, exercise, & let yourself have a small amount of what you want

Replies

• clareholbrook
    Options
    I totally agree. I was once told in order to lose weight, I had to go hungry whilst eating around 1000 calories. What made this worse was the fact it came from a doctor! I like MFP because you can balance exercise against things that you probably shouldn't eat. I try to go for the more natural ingredients but I am no saint - there is always temptations around. Its hard to lose habits, my favourite dunking biscuits in my cup of tea ...and cravings are hard to satisfy when ignored - I can remember them for a long time!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Sounds like she's a clean eating nazi! If I didn't eat everything within moderation (watching portion sizes and making smarter choices), I'd have failed at this a long time ago - just like I failed at every diet attempt before this one. I'm a foodie, plain and simple, and if I'm not happy with what I'm eating, I'm NOT HAPPY! I might be able to fool myself for a while but once I get a taste of something I haven't had in a while, it's all over.

The problem with not allowing yourself those things is most people think - ok, I'll eat like this until I lose the weight. Then they start eating the way they used to and they gain it all back (and then some). Now THAT'S not healthy...
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I think every "trainer" would give a different answer, mixed with their own bias or opinion. But, in my own opinion, I definitely agree with you, Samantha. To always deprive yourself is just to set yourself up for failure, IMO, because you'll just keep wanting whatever it is even more. I see nothing wrong with being active, eating healthy, and just generally living a healthier lifestyle...a piece of cake or some chips once a week or something like that isn't going to completely sabotage the hard work. :P
  • myskinnyyear
    myskinnyyear Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think you are right, that you would be setting yourself up for failure. Nobody can be perfect all the time. I might take a few bites of something I shouldn't, but I don't eat the whole stinkin package anymore! We have to learn moderation and portion control. Perfection is not an option for me!
  • doornumber03
    doornumber03 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    more often than not, most people who don't cheat are the ones that binje and then it snowballs. Cheat meals from my experience are what keeps me sane enough to stay on the program!