How do you make your sandwiches?

Options
missbis
missbis Posts: 116 Member
Thanks to everyone who answered my bread question. I have another concerning sandwiches! I love mayonnaise and I used to eat the reduced fat Hellmann's (green cap) but then I switched to regular fat about a year ago. I'm not used to the lower fat kind anymore. =/ I was wondering what I could use to substitute it for taste and moisture. Also, I can go without cheese to reduce calories, but what makes a good, healthy, low-cal sandwich in your opinion?

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I use whole wheat tortilla wraps instead of bread to cut down on calories. Deli turkey and romaine lettuce or spinach are good on a sandwich/wrap... Of course, the more you leave off, the lower calorie it will be....however there's nothing wrong with FAT!! Our bodies need fat!! You can use the mayo you like as long as it fits into your calorie goal. :)
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I usually just put mustard on my sandwiches cause it's calorie free. It's usually just whole wheat,turkey, and mustard for me. I buy just regular mayo for the house, and if i want some then i have some. no big deal as long as it fits in my calories and all that for the day!
  • proverbs31chick
    proverbs31chick Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Instead of mayo use avocado, that is a good fat and it taste really good.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    what makes a good, healthy, low-cal sandwich in your opinion?

Great bread, high quality meats and cheeses and some sort of cured pork product like bacon
  • artcaro1972
    Options
    I use hummus instead of mayonnaise. It even works in tuna fish.

For me a healthy sandwich is:

ONE piece of a brown, seedy, grainy bread (max 100 cal)
    2 tbsp hummus
    lots of lean meat
    a half slice of low fat swiss cheese
    veg: cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, spinach or whatever else I can fit on there

Oh and Dave's Killer Bread is the best ever. I miss it so.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I like the avocado idea. I like cheese as well and used to use fat free cheese, but then changed to regular cheese. The fat helps hold me over longer. I also use the "light" mayo...but I haven't lost the taste for it yet :) As for bread...there are the lower calorie breads that are like 45 calories per slice. I use those too.

I also like A LOT of veggies in my sandwiches! They fill me up and then the fat from the cheese and my light mayo hold me over longer.

Good luck!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I use proper bread, but low fat cheese on my sandwiches, and then load with veggies.

I never use butter on my sandwiches - to me, it seems like a waste of calories. Also, I never use avocado on my sandwiches - it's a calorie luxury item for me.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been cutting out the bread and wrapping my sandwich in a lettuce leaf. So I will make two wraps normally- one piece of lettuce, one slice of either chicken or turkey, then I half a slice of cheese, maybe add tomato if I want then I dip it in a little bit of my favorite salad dressing (Braswell's of Georgia - Creamy Vidalia Onion Salad Dressing) It's really filling but not calorie overload.
  • KylieBarstow
    Options
    Well it depends on how low cal you're looking for. Every time I make a sandwich I make it the same way.

-Sandwich Thins- 100 calories
    -Turkey
    -1 slice swiss cheese
    -1 slice hard salami
    -mustard
    -half tablespoon mayo

All for 320 Calories. To me that is a really good amount of calories and it fills me up.
  • linnettbenson
    linnettbenson Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use Laughing Cow Cheese instead of Mayo. For me it is moist enough to act as a replacement.
  • Cordy1228
    Cordy1228 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use a wedge of Laughing Cow. I get the creaminess of mayo and the cheesiness of cheese in one lazy step.
  • loki3981
    loki3981 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    We use the mayo with olive oil. Add a bit of healthy fat in there.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hummus and avocado (or even quac if you can find a good low cal one) are really good. I've heard some people use greek yogurt instead of mayo when making chicken/tuna salad. I personally use mustard for cold cuts and lite miracle whip for salads.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    After dropping all this weight my taste buds have totally done a 180.... I like things now I would have Never ate before. I have given up Ketchup, and mayo on my sandwich quite a while ago and I watched an episode of Dr. Oz a few weeks ago and he put me onto my latest kick... I have brownberry health nut bread with Oscar Meyer Smoked turkey with Mini Colby and vlasic deli style banana peppers and Vlasic Sauerkraut with alittle mustard. OMG!! it is so good!!! So good I had it for lunch today lol.......
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I make a pseudo-guacamole spread or use hummus. Laughing cow is also a great option.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I replaced the mayo with either oil and vinegar or just plain malt vinegar
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm really picky so I usually just make mine with wheat bread, ham or turkey, and American cheese. Maybe the occasional lettuce and tomato if I'm feeling adventurous, and I hate anything that has to do with mayo or mustard so none of that goes on mine.

However, whenever I make the fraternity boys sandwiches, I put the works on it. White bread, turkey, ham, American cheese, pepper jack cheese, lettuce, mayo, mustard, pickles... you name it. Those boys will scarf down anything you feed them.