Does it matter?

Options
Hey there, peeps,

I've been on MFP since May 1, and am down 7 lbs since my WI last Friday. :smile: Just have a query:

I've been working out 30-60 minutes/day (depending on the intensity of the activity and calories burned) 5-6 days a week. My workouts are most often around 6 pm. I keep hearing buzzes that you are supposed to exercise in the morning..does not always work with my schedule. So the poll of the day is: Does it really matter what time of day you do your workouts?

Also, any suggestions for structuring my meal pre and post workouts? Or snack ideas for afterwards? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

:drinker: Cheers!

Replies

• TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that there may be a slight advantage to working out first thing in the morning. With that being said, I think it is great to workout whenever it fits into your schedule. Only have 10 minutes jump rope. Your schedule is what works for you, not what some expert says may be mildly more effective. Keep moving!
  • UltraThinJen
    Options
    I don't know but i exercise in the afternoon too. I have heard that you should eat the bulk of your carbs in the morning so you can work it off through the day.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I've heard mornings are better to but 90% of my workouts are in the evening....

I think what's most important is that you do it!
  • librarygirl
    librarygirl Posts: 182
    Options
    I find that the later I do mine the harder time I have falling asleep. I try and do it right after work and before dinner.
  • mzaccardi
    mzaccardi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I force myself to work out in the morning, otherwise I get too tired to work out in the evening and then I don't do it all. But I agree with the others that whenever you can fit it in, it's better than not doing anything at all.
  • gnomeswife77
    Options
    I've heard it's best not to work out an hour before bed. So it all depends on when you go to bed. Good job for getting up and moving!
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    I think it depends on which "study" you read, ha! I think the best time to exercise is when your energy level is at its best -- for me, it's around 10a, although I do adjust it when my schedule calls for it. I've read that morning workouts may not be that great if it is casing you to lose sleep: ie: the extra hour of sleep may do your body more good than the exercise. I've rad that exercising too late in the vening only keeps you awake which can cause to lose sleep if you have to get up early. I've read that exercising inthe evening helps you sleep better. So, who knows right?!? So, the best time is th best time for you, and that may different form anyone else.
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I workout whenever my daughter is napping and I can squeeze it in. Some days this means waiting until 10pm and I've been having great success. I think one of the main benefits from exercising is the increased energy level. I'm not a scientist so I don't know how the whole calorie burned, maximum benefit thing works but I think if you just do it, that's what matters the most!
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I find when I work out in the morning I have more energy, but I work out mostly at night sometimes very late and I am losing 2-3 pounds each week.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    I got this little blurb from Self.com:

"When you work out can make a big difference in the benefits you bank. Morning sessions can lower your triglyceride levels for the entire day, even after meals, which helps decrease the heart disease risk. Midday movers can say so long to energy slumps. Exercising in the middle of the day keeps your adrenaline pumping so you're alert throughout the afternoon, while getting fit seems easier in the evening because the rate of perceived exertion for night workouts is lower than for early sessions. "

Personally, I like to do 1/2hr of strength training in the morning and then cardio at night.