Low Carbers.. Coffee Ideas Please

Options
So have you found a drink we can have at Starbucks?? I attempted to order smart this AM without looking and I got a black coffee with one sugar and one cream.. boo bad idea 15 carbs!! What do you order or put in your homemade coffee? I can NOT handle black alone and I need my caffeine at 6am to get out of bed :wink:

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid any sweetened drink is going to have a lot of carbs. You really can't have it both ways.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Substitute the sugar for a sweetener (if you need to sweeten it) - the cream should be fine, although I've used Kara Coconut milk and that's pretty good.
  • Justforthebacon
    Justforthebacon Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Add sugar free syrup or sweetener. Just remember that all low calorie sweeteners (including Splenda) do have carbs. ~ 0.5 - 1 carb per packet. Most liquid forms do not though (if you can get it). If you want to stay really low carb you can always just add cream to your coffee.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    regular coffee
    half and half
    splenda

Or if you just need caffeine, Diet Coke
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
  • caitindabx
    Options
    I usually try to just carry around my own packets of Stevia to put in coffee I buy when I'm out and about. The cream is usually fine. :)
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I too am an early morning coffee addict :) I do a 12 oz double americano with cream (normally 2 oz.) It gives you about 3g of carbs. I don't do sugar... but I assume you could always have them put a shot of sugar free something in there.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I have one packet of Truvia (THE best sweetner, IMO) and a dash of Heavy Whipping Cream. 0 carbs according to my tracker, although I think the packet of Truvia has a very tiny bit of carbs.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    8 oz. Coffee, half tbsp. 10% cream, one splenda. 12 calories, 2 carbs, 1g fat 40mg of sodium.
  • AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I use instant coffee at work. Some of my faves: Maxwell house coffee singles, Tasters choice french vanilla, Maxwell house international sugar free Vanilla/Mocha.

Fave creamer: International delight sugar free vanilla or hazelnut.

Bonus treat: Fat free redi whip!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I use truvia and a tbsp of silk original creamer. It only has one carb.
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Starbucks does mistos now, which are like lattes with coffee instead of espresso - half coffee, half steamed milk. The venti only has 90 calories in it if you use non-fat milk, and I like to order it with some sugar-free vanilla syrup. Yum yum!
  • rachyrach1234
    Options
    Go To CARIBOU COFFEE

Northern Lite Drinks Are Only 100 cal
    Sugar Free Syrup And Skim Milk
    :)
  • dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't order coffee from Starbucks or anywhere else. Here's my recipe for low carb coffe (I do it for the low sugar):

Home brewed Coffee of choice - I use Kivu Caramel Swirl = 0 carbs
    Coffee Mate Sugar Free Vanilla Caramel - 2 TB = 2 carbs
    Torani - Sugar Free White Chocolate Syrup, 2 Tbsp = 0 Carbs

Total 2 carbs, 30 calories, 3 g of fat

I drink 2 cups a day, each with 1 tb of cream & torani syrup.

If you get a big travel mug with a lid they can easily fit 2 cups in them & you can make it at home a lot cheaper than Starbucks, both for the money & the carb intake. :drinker:
  • Heidi_Edgi
    Heidi_Edgi Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda sweetner and vanilla soy milk for my creamer. It might take some time gettig used to cause you're coffee won't be as sweet but I can't tell a difference now and when I do have regular creamer, it tastes nasty cause it's way too sweet.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if you need to add something to it, you probably really need to get better quality coffee.
  • jgranger221
    Options
    My opinion is that if you need to add something to it, you probably really need to get better quality coffee.

This!
    Black coffee is the way to go. Don't buy the crappy stuff and you'll find that it tastes really good and has virtually no calories, never mind carbs or fat.

I never put cream in mine, but I used to load it up with sugar, and then switched to the fake stuff. I gradually started putting in less and less until finally I was able to enjoy it black. I wish I had the same will power with all of my food choices, but it's a start.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    So have you found a drink we can have at Starbucks?? I attempted to order smart this AM without looking and I got a black coffee with one sugar and one cream.. boo bad idea 15 carbs!! What do you order or put in your homemade coffee? I can NOT handle black alone and I need my caffeine at 6am to get out of bed :wink:

Just because i'm aware you dont want to stall any healthy weightloss and also seek optimal health iw anted to warn you against fake sweetners:

"Splenda/sucralose kills your friendly bacteria!! What this means is our immune system is compromised!!! 75% of the immune system is in your intestines and this bacteria is essential to maintain good health.

A new study shows that your fat absorbs it! This is quite different from what was previously thought. This is ultimately what is stored in your body and would contribute to the body hanging on to fat to protect it’s self from this toxin."

http://uniquehealthandwellness.com/?p=109

"Did you know if a product has ingredients that are proven carcinogens, but is less than 2% of its total makeup, that they don’t have to list it on the label!!! 98% of SUCRALOSE is chlorinated sugar but here is what makes up the 2%: Acetone, Acetic acid, Acetyl alcohol, Annmium chloride, Benzene, Chlorinated sulfates, Ethyl alcohol, Isobutyl ketones, Formaldehyde, Hydrogen chloride, Lithium chloride, Methanol(wood alcohol), Sodium methoxide, Sulfuryl chloride, Trityl chloride, Toluene, and Thionyl chloride. You might want to google some of these ingredients, you will be more horrified."

What i typically do to make my black coffee yummy is virgin coconut oil, which gives it a bit of a sweet coconut flavor without any carbs, and add a tablespoon of heavy whipping cream which has .3g of carbs and its creamy and kinda sweet. maybe try to carry a little thermos with the cream if you need to travel and they dont have true heavy whipping cream available. Any milk has had all the good fats stripped out and replaced with glucose trigger milk sugars thus making it have carbs. if you are at home and want flavor add a dash of cinnamon and a pinch of salt in the dry grounds and after the coconut oil and heavy cream it's almost like a pumpkin latte, other seasonings for baking are yummy too just go light which ever you use because its stronger than you think for a whole pot of coffee haha (the sal helps bitterness btw so even if you dont season it, salt may help you stomach it black if need be :))

hope i've helped!
  • mungmungi
    mungmungi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    First you need a good base. At SB I bring my own mug and get Americano which is 2 espresso shots topped with hot water. You get a cleaner, 'sweeter' tasting coffee. I whiten with whole milk and use splenda and ONE sugar packet if I want it sweeter. As long as you're not drinking the mixed, 500 calorie drinks at SB, you should be fine.
  • bored4long
    bored4long Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can't do black coffee. So I switched to black tea. I can drink that unsweetened all day. Try black tea! There are a world of different blends to try and enjoy.