Need motivation to get re-started

Options
Hi all,

I had started trying to lose weight at the back end of 2010 without much success. I then found MFP and successfully lost around 30lbs between Feb and July 2011. Unfortunately in July I went on an all-inclusive holiday which foolishly I decided would serve as a rest from the diet, instead of being a rest it turned into a full blown fortnight of eating junk and non-stop drinking.

On return from my holiday my job also started taking a turn for the worst, and as result I ended up getting into bit of a rut and turning on my old pals carbs and drink to help me through. Result = I have lost direction and re-applied 20 out of the 30 lbs that I lost!

I want to get restarted but I am finding it hard! Today, after a full day of eating badly I decided that instead of reaching for the tinnies I would do a 50 min stretch on the exercise bike and feel much better for it now. Problem is that I know once I get back to work next week the stress will re-start and I will turn to either food or drink for comfort. Unfortunately with the way jobs are at the minute I can't stop the stress, but I was hoping that by posting I will find people who have found ways of not turning to food and drink to hide from the pressures from the outside world, and if so can anyone suggest how Imight break this cycle?

Replies

• hey_nikki
    hey_nikki Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You're still down 10lbs! celebrate that. I can definitely relate to the emotional eating. It's a tough thing to kick. My advice is to take it day by day. Don't fret on the past, think of tomorrow as a fresh start. Baby steps.
    Good job on getting in that 50min workout! Seems to me that you've already re-started, or rather continued what you started last year. Plus! exercise is a stress reliever in itself!! Endorphins work wonders :D
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Here are some New Year's Resolution tips you may find helpful!

1. Be realistic
    The surest way to fall short of your goal is to make it unattainable. For instance, resolving to never eat your favorite food again because it has too many calories could be a bad choice. Strive for a goal that is attainable, such as avoiding it more often than you do now.
    2. Plan ahead
    If you wait until the last minute, your choice will be based on your mindset that particular moment and could result in some bad choices being made. Instead, meal plan your day or week to ensure you are meeting your goals.
    3. Outline your plan
    Decide how you will deal with the temptation to skip that exercise class or eat that unplanned chocolate bar. This could include calling on a friend for help, practicing positive thinking and self-talk, or adding some extra physical activity.
    4. Make a "pro" and "con" list
    It may help to see a list of items on paper to keep your motivation strong. Develop this list over time, and ask others to contribute to it. Keep your list with you and refer to it when you need help keeping your resolve.
    5. Talk about it
    Don't keep your resolution a secret. Tell friends and family members who will be there to support your resolve to change yourself for the better or improve your health. It is best case scenario on MFP lots of buddies to be made who share your enthusiasm to lead a healthier lifestyle and you can motivate each other!
    6. Reward yourself
    This doesn't mean that you can eat an entire box of chocolates. Instead, celebrate your success by treating yourself to something that you enjoy that does not contradict your resolution. If you've been sticking to your promise to eat better or add physical activity to you day your reward could be going to a movie with a friend.
    7. Make goals – large & small
    Keep track of each small success you make toward reaching your larger goal. Short-term goals are easier to keep, and small accomplishments will help keep you motivated. Instead of focusing on losing 30 pounds, focus on losing that first 5. Keeping up with your logging, keeping a journal about how you feel, taking measurements etc may help you stay on track when you can see how far you have come.
    8. Don't beat yourself up
    Obsessing over the occasional slip won't help you achieve your goal. Do the best you can each day, and take each day one at a time.
    9. Stick to it
    Experts say it takes about 21 days for a new activity, such as exercising, to become a habit, and 6 months for it to become part of your personality. Your new healthful habits will become second-nature in no time.
    10. Keep trying
    If your resolution has totally run out of steam by mid-February, don't despair. Start over again! There's no reason you can't make a "New Year's resolution" any time of year.
  • lilibean01
    lilibean01 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Be gentle on yourself first of all! I've noticed for myself that whenever I get more desperate or critical of myself, the more depressed I get, the more emotional eating I do, and the more I struggle with trying to make progress. It just all tends to feel like a burden and impossible at that point. I would suggest not thinking of it as a diet, but a lifestyle change. I made my best progress that way and have kept, in general, at a very small range of fluctuation in my size -- even with holidays and stress. I would suggest trying not to fix everything at once, but only one or two things for the first few weeks. Not getting enough fluids? Focus on hydration for the first 3 weeks. Not getting enough fruit/veggies? Focus on adding 1-2 more servings per day of them. Start with little goals like that for the first 3 weeks and you will see changes! Then, once those are habits, change something else!

I think the biggest thing to get restarted is to mentally get over the hurdle of self-disappointment. That was the case for me. I had at one time reached my ideal goal of body weight/muscular build and then went on a bender & lost it by gaining 20 lbs. I got so sucked into my own dismay that I just kept letting myself go, telling myself that it didn't matter what I did because I'd never gain my ideal back -- I was just the fat girl and always would be. So, I think breaking the negative thinking would probably be one of the best steps. Find some motivational quotes and put them where you see them all the time & every day! I write mine in dry erase marker on my bathroom mirror. My favorites are:

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

"I am only what I make of myself today." (I'm only as healthy as I decide to be today, I'm only as educated as I decide to be today, I'm only as kind as I decide to be today... focusing on the present & not tomorrow or yesterday.)

"No one can convince me that I cannot do something but me." (I'm my only obstacle in getting things done.)

Best of luck, and hoping your 2012 is a healthy and happy one!
  • s16cs
    s16cs Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, today going quite well so far and I'm feeling much more positive!

Hopefully I can get back on top of it all over the next few days, then keep it going! Fingers crossed!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it! YOU CAN DO IT!! Slow and steady wins the race - don't beat yourself up too much over the little stuff!