Advice for new eating habits?

Options
I decided that this year will be the start of my new lifestyle. No junky foods, no soda, no candy, none of those coffee drinks that I used to buy constantly. I have decided to cut these out right away, aside from a box of easy mac I bought last year and I'm slowly finishing it off so it doe not go to waste. Because of this, I have decided to change what I buy when grocery shopping. Unfortunately, it seems to me like the healthier foods are more expensive than what I was getting, and I don't quite have the funds to buy a whole lot.

On an average week, I'll buy vegetables (brussel sprouts, green beans, cauliflower, spinach, onions, mushrooms, squash, broccoli) to have with my meals, or even just as a meal itself. Then fruits, which are a little more rare, depending on the current prices (oranges, bananas, strawberries). There's usually two meals of tilapia during my week, and other meals may consist of soup, pasta, a sandwich, or something else along those lines. I also have yogurt in my fridge, but I'll be honest and say I haven't touched it yet.

Ontop of my new eating habits, I have been trying my best to walk/jog on my treadmill for one mile a day with small breaks between, which usually takes me about half an hour. I am 257 at 5'3, and I find myself running out of breath if I do too much.

I guess my real questions are the following.
A: Are my current choices for food okay? Should I lay low on any items I've listed, or eat more of them? Is there anything else i should be adding? Perhaps more meat, but I just don't find myself wanting to pull out chicken or turkey to cook.
B: Can you recommend some cheaper fruits, vegetables, or just anything on the healthier side that won't go bad in a few days? I really dislike apples, and any sort of apple products, and pineapple.

Thanks for your time everyone. I'm really looking forward to see your comments.

Replies

• cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot of suggestions for you but I have 2 big ones that should help stretch your food budget --

1) Learn to love your freezer. Breads, vegetables, fruits, meat, fresh herbs, etc... all of these items can be stored in a freezer for quite a few weeks with no ill effects. Then, when you need them, you can pull them out and defrost them with no worries about them going off. I do this a lot with fresh bread because I can't eat it fast enough... I'll pull down 2-4 slices per week and let it thaw in the fridge. Veggies and fruits are great for this too.

2) Do you have a Target with a grocery store near you? They just opened a few near me and the prices are seriously incredible. We've saved so much money by shopping there... milk alone is nearly a dollar cheaper than my local budget grocery store. Their brand (Market Pantry) does a lot of yummy food that has no preservatives and is pretty healthy. I stock up on the frozen vegetables in that brand as they have no sodium or sugar, just straight vegetables and they're great to take to work in a little container (the price is also insanely reasonable).

Hope someone else can help you with the other things in your post!
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    There's a Target about fifteen minutes away from me. I generally do most of my food shopping at Wegmans, but I'll look into that!

I do keep some veggies in the freezer, like green beans, and some of these cooked vegetable meals that are only supposed to be 60-80cal a serving. I sometimes toss a few bananas in there also, and bread I keep in the fridge or freezer.

I've just had bad experiences before with buying alot of fruit and it ends up going bad before I get to it. I really should just toss more of it in the freezer and only keep out a little.

Thanks!
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    cooking every day is a huge chore for me..what i learned to do is cook for a hand full of days with the staples... like i will cook up about 3-5lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast meat and cube ,slice it ect.. all you have to do is grab it out of the fridge for your meals to come... i also will make about 3-5 servings of brown/red rice and sometimes a high protein pasta if i put it on my menu.. most of what i eat is easy to put together or grab out of the fridge..sometimes i make meals and put them in to containers so all i have to do is grab the container..learn what your staples are and make sure they are in the house.. i understand the yogurt thing.. i used to buy it and not grab it out but now i usually have it on a daily basis as a snack .. i make myself eat it because im not a dairy person. the plain greek yogurt with frozen berries is what i usually have. so pretty much you have to find what it is you want in your diet that works for you ..look at sales and stock up . above all plan your meals a day ahead so you are prepared. not having your food supplies or no plan is why most people fall off the wagon .. its a habit and bad habits are hard to break just like smoking ,drinking ect .. takes time and new habit to get rid of the old
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lots of "whole foods" are inexpensive - beans, potatoes, eggs, oats, brown rice, canned tuna, pasta sauce, frozen veggies, bananas

I agree with previous poster - try using more frozen veggies. Some are very good. If the texture is very affected by freezing (such as green beans) use these veggies in soups.

Many fruits can be frozen - again if texture is affected - use them in sauces, baking, etc.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Something to "try" and live by -
    If you can't grow it, raise it, or catch it, you should not be eating it!

I love my CHICKEN!!!!!!

Of course it is more expensive cause it is of better quality just like when you buy a car!
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I'll have to keep these things in mind when I shop later this week.

More veggies!
  • truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I make a big pot of soup, loads of veg and lentils, and that's lunch for the week sorted. Roast chicken will last 3 meals and then use the bones for stock, then soup. Prices offers tend to be cyclical so I shop around. I use local markets and proper shops, not supermarkets as I can buy in amounts I want. Also started to grow my own, the exercise is a plus :-))
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    I actually tried to grow my own vegetables at one time, but it didn't turn out nearly as well as I had planned. I guess I just don't have that green thumb!

I love my veggies. Plain, with meals, in soups, any way at all really. Fruits I'm a little picky with somedays. I tend to pick up a good amount each week when I go shopping, but then I have the issue of becoming bored with what I've picked out. I think brusselsprouts are the only thing I could eat on a daily basis and not grow bored with them.

I think I'll try to make some soup next time, thanks for the idea!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful you are making such great new choices!

Some tips:

1. Buy frozen veggies since they are cheaper. They are flash frozen so all the nutrients are there, but you don't lose any of the flavour. The store brand is just as good as the name brand in my opinion.
    2. Utilize the Famers Market!! I go every other week and get most of my produce there. It's cheaper and it tastes amazing! You will be amazed at all the different varieties of veggies and you also will be helping your community.
    3. Check out your international/Latino/Asian markets. Their produce is just about always the cheapest and the most fresh.
    4. If buying pasta/bread/grains, check out Big Lots. They have great prices on their grains.
    5. When I buy chicken breasts, I normally will cut them in half length ways and depth ways (does that make sense?). That way you get the correct size serving and it cuts down on cost.
    6. I try to make at least 3 meals a week meatless. It cuts cost down and they taste delicious.
    7. Buy a big bag of dried beans (pinto/black/ etc) and cook them along with some rice. mmmm
    8. Coupon, coupon, coupon! I love coupons and they save a lot of money. Make sure you only buy things that are on sale. The last week of the month I go through the pantry/fridge and see what I have leftover and can use so I don't have to go to the store. I spend $250/month on groceries (including eating out 1 time a month) and that feeds a family of 4.
    9. Plan your meals ahead. For example, when you are baking something, go ahead and make 2 other meals that you need the oven on for. That cuts down on your electric bill and will save you time.
    10. If you don't have one, invest in a crockpot.

It seems like you are making good decisions with your food choices. Keep it up and I hope I was helpful :)
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    Yes, you were helpful. Thank you!

I hadn't thought of buying dried beans, but I will have to look into that. I used to eat alot of the canned "pork and beans" when I was younger, and then the small cans of cooked beans later on (I don't quite remember the brand. I just remember a brown can with a yellow label) but I noticed it was a bit high in salt so I stopped buying them.

Most of my meals now consist of veggies, or canned soup (which is also high in salt and I plan on making my own soon), and two nights I make tilapia. I usually go out for a meal one night a week with my family, but I am starting to pick healthier choices when I go out also. (No cheese corn, no double fries, not eating the entire plate, picking tilapia or fish over steak and other items)
  • crazywifewczx
    crazywifewczx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First off let me say good for you for cutting out the unhealthy foods. But i would say don't cut it all out right out of the gate because you could be setting yourself up for a down ward slide. Try taking everything in moderation. You can still have that coffee but try just one a day instead of multiple. Try flavoured coffee creamer instead of sugar and slowly cut that down untill you don't use it any more. that's what i'm doing with my tea and coffee.

Frozen fruit is great for alot of things. Its easy and quick in the morning in oatmeal and adds just the right amount of sweetness. and if your looking for a way to use that yogurt in your fridge it's great on that oatmeal too. I tend too use alot of frozen vegetables because they keep for along time and are great for side dishes. There are so many varities of frozen fruits and vegetables out there you just need to look around different stores will carry different mixes and it may take you some time to find the one thats right for your taste buds.

hope this helps and good luck.
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    I've tried some of the frozen vegetables from my store, and frozen fruits also. I usually pick up a bag or two when I see them on sale, it just takes me a little while to get through it because I don't enjoy eating the same thing every day, or even every other day. It's a good thing they last as long as they do!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - easy & yummy - You can add things like cinnamon & raisins - granola or cheat a like and add a sprinkle of brown sugar (Oatmeal is better for you than boxed breakfast cereals, cheaper and as easy to prepare)

Yogurt - If you do not like the taste or texture of greek yogurt, try mixing it with so low fat flavored yogurt. I enjoy adding a little granola to this!
  • AnnettLynn
    Options
    The only cereal that I'll eat is Cheerio's, but I am thinking about picking up some oatmeal next time I shop. It's usually pretty cheap, too.

As far as yogurt goes, I do enjoy it but somehow it still sits in my fridge for a while. Either I forget it's there, or I just don't feel like eating it that week, and I don't want to force myself to.