Hello, im Matthew

Options
Today is my first day of "myfitnesspal". This morning I was following Weight Watchers but after following the plan yesterday and gaining weight this morning (yes I know I shouldn't weight myself everyday, but its hard not too), and realising that I only ever lose weight if I don't eat all my points, I decided to try something else.

I signed up for http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ which I have used in the past, but always found it hard keeping track of my food. I decided to look for any decent app for my android phone and came across this site.

I really like the layout of the site, and love the fact the phone app syncs with the website. I also love the bar-code scanner, and in-particular the fact that every item I have scanned today, I found in the database - which surprised me after using other diet apps. There also seems to be a big community - hence the reason i'm introducing myself, in the hope that some support / help / ideas will help.

In the past I have lost a lot of weight - almost 11 stone, but have recently put about 2 stone back on. I used to do Slimming World but found as I got closer to target, I was no longer eating as my portions were huge - using the "free" food. I exercise a lot - 5 to 6 hours a week, mainly running and Military based fitness (British Military Fitness) but sabotage myself my binge eating.

A lot of diets seem to have "free" food, but as far as I understand, its all to do with calories in and calories out - the different diets just manipulate this in different ways. I could never understand how I could have unlimited bananas for "free" but couldn't each 1 Mars bar instead. I suppose the idea is the bananas will fill you up - but I enjoy eating so just eat too much. I need to control portions now im closer to target.

Anyway sorry for the long post, it wasn't intentional, my thoughts just came out :-)

Replies

• itsasecret22
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • ajmaccar
    ajmaccar Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've made the right first step in this journey. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Hi Matthew I'm Faye, if you want a friend you can add me :smile:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP is a great site. Us guys over outnumbered, but there are plenty of guys on here. :drinker: I encourage you to fill out your profile and find some MFP "pals" - it really helps to have people to check-in with from time to time.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    Welcome! This place is awesome, and you'll find lots of great people here!

Enjoy the journey, and it'll work for you.

:flowerforyou:
  • Greenhaven44
    Greenhaven44 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hiya I'm on day three ... Did ww for two years and lost the will put all but 8 pounds of three stone lost sooo fed up with myself .... Found thus and loving it ... Better site to use than ww on line and database def loads better can find things so easily :-) good luck matthew and if you need a friend or support I'm here: :happy:
  • alymuir
    alymuir Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi, im Aly, 1st time ever doing anything like this and so far i really like this site! Feel free to add me if you like
  • carpediem4263
    carpediem4263 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Hi Matthew! Welcome!! My name is Sarah. Feel free to add me if you want. Let me know if I can help you in anyway.
  • errn08
    errn08 Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Deb. I have just joined today too. Well, truth be told, I did this several months ago for about a month. I did lose some weight but then quit tracking everything and have put 9lbs back on. The site was working for me, I had given up on working for myself. But I am back. Last time I did this very quietly, no posts, no friends, no one knew. This time I am going to put myself out there a little more. I am hoping to both give and receive support this time! You may add me as your friend if you would like.
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    after following the plan yesterday and gaining weight this morning (yes I know I shouldn't weight myself everyday, but its hard not too), and realising that I only ever lose weight if I don't eat all my points

I recommend you DO weight yourself every day (as I do). However (and you know this) your weight fluctuates so sometimes even if your weight is trending down you may find the scale says you are up. So what you need is a tool to show you the (hopefully) downward trend even when your actually weight rises on a particular day. Now, I love MFP but the graphs and reporting aren't that great and they don't show this trend line. So head on over and get this free app https://market.android.com/details?id=net.cachapa.libra&hl=en (no connection to me other than I use it).
    It will prompt you to weight yourself every day and you won't get disheartened when the scale says you're up because you'll see your trend weight is still down. (Hope that makes sense).
    --
    John