Polar Ft4 - User Friendly?

Options
Okay, so yesterday I bought a heart rate monitor - Bowflex Pro Trainer XT - because it was originally $130 and on sale for $40... I couldn't pass up an amazing deal like that, and I figure Bowflex is a reputable company and would probably make decent products, so yeah. Anyways, I used it today while I was working out and, while the heart rate was accurate, I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get it to calculate my calories burned. I figured it would do that automatically while it's keeping up with my heart rate, but during and after my workout I saw no memory or record of having worked out. I read the manual front to back several times, and I set everything up the way I needed it to be, but I just couldn't figure it out! So I decided to go online and look up some info on it, and I found NOTHING! Not helpful at all. And I've yet to receive an email or phone call from the manufacturer/customer service.

So... tomorrow I'm returning it and I'm paying the extra 50 bucks for a Polar Ft4... my question is, is it user friendly?? Is it easy to set up and get working? Is the manual easy to understand and detailed enough?

Thank you.

Love and Alohas to you all,
Ihilani Kapuniai

Replies

• ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I just used mine for the first time tonight. LOVE IT.. I'm not very tech/gadget savy and it is super easy to read. I burned 300 calories in a 2 mile run in 30 minutes.. Wish I would have gotten one a year ago when I started exercising.. Good way to know exactly what you burn so you know if u need to eat exercise calories or not.

I would invest the money again

Hope this helps
    good luck
    Dawn
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Doesn't get much friendlier. Just make sure that you update your weight as you get smaller.
  • linkielueville
    Options
    It's pretty simple if you read the instructions..... The lower left button labeled "mode" changes your mode. If you're in the normal watch mode that says the date and time, hit the mode button 3 times and you'll be at the stop watch mode. Push the upper right button "ST/Stop" and your timer will began. Then, hit the mode button again and it'll bring you to the timer and beneath it will be a c and your calories burned. It's all in the instruction manual. I got mine last night and it only took 30 minutes to have it fully set up and working.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4 and yes its great! really simple to use.

I have had issues swimming with it though, no matter what ive tried its just not registered when i swim but i hear that other people have been successful with it in water.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about getting one too. Does anybody have a strong preference? Seems like the FT4 is getting good reviews!
  • mamato3inca
    mamato3inca Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have the Bowflex one. You have to turn the calorie counter ON.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Well that helps, but if you read the OP, she says it doesn't say how to. So maybe the one she bought doesn't come with calorie counting.. because they are a few that don't and people don't find that out till after the fact.

To OP:
    Polar is a very user friendly brand. I just got an FT60 and it was a snap to set up.. and it has way more options then the FT4.
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    It's pretty simple if you read the instructions..... The lower left button labeled "mode" changes your mode. If you're in the normal watch mode that says the date and time, hit the mode button 3 times and you'll be at the stop watch mode. Push the upper right button "ST/Stop" and your timer will began. Then, hit the mode button again and it'll bring you to the timer and beneath it will be a c and your calories burned. It's all in the instruction manual. I got mine last night and it only took 30 minutes to have it fully set up and working.

Exactly. It says C for calories and you hit the "st/stop" to turn it on.
  • mamato3inca
    Options
    Well that helps, but if you read the OP, she says it doesn't say how to. So maybe the one she bought doesn't come with calorie counting.. because they are a few that don't and people don't find that out till after the fact.

No, I have the same one she has, I bought it this week because of the sale she was referring to
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 for Christmas and I LOVE it! It's very user friendly. I couldn't wait to exercise to use it, I'm the same way since I started using it. I had a cheaper hrm before that stopped working in about 4 months
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar, a different model though (the RS100 I think) and it is very user friendly and easy.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    SO EASY! Like really... it's simple.
    It counts calories, stores data, gives you totals, lets you pause in the middle if need be.
    The "light" is dim and not so good, but I don't use it.
    The chest strap is comfy and the watch isnt too big.
    You shouldnt have any troubles.
  • pinkprincessmama
    pinkprincessmama Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It looks like the silver one is marked down to $49.99 on Amazon. It says it is the mens model though....
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 and understand it no problem, but I'm a bit of a geek so that doesn't mean anything really. If you want a look at the manual, this is it.

http://pulsometrs.lv/files/Polar/Polar_FT4_user_manual_EN.pdf
    It looks like the silver one is marked down to $49.99 on Amazon. It says it is the mens model though....
    That's a fantastic price. Only difference is in the colour, they're all the same size, and they all have the male / female settings.
  • n15cpw
    Options
    Linkieludevil - Your post was extremely helpful!

Like the person above I was having the same issue. My problem was that as you pointed out in your post, I was not going into the stop watch mode first. I was trying to get to the calorie counter without going into stop watch mode first.

Thanks for your post!
  • lsilly15
    lsilly15 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    love it! i had to return the transmitter though because when i first got it, it didnt work, customer service was a breeze though!
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I bought mine brand new off ebay for 60 with free shipping so you might check that out :smile: