Newby: Anyone doing this for fertility reasons?

Options
Moin78
Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
Hi!

After years of letting myself go and a pretty bad 2011, I have decided that I need to do this. Over the past year, I've pretty much been the person that takes care of everyone else with no regard for my own health. If someone asked me to do something, I would do everything in my power to do what they needed, whether it was to clean their house, watch their child, feed their animals, whatever!

One month ago today, I stepped on the scale at my reproductive endocrinololgist's office and joked around about "seeing if I could tip the scale at 200." Well, I did and even though I meant it to be funny, I felt horrible inside. I've decided to take responsibility for what I do/don't do, and to stop being everyone's solution to everything, which really made my brother angry yesterday when I refused to watch his girlfriend's child so they could go get some piercings.

The other main reason (outside of taking time for myself and taking care of myself), is to help with my odds of conceiving. Anyone else out there in the same boat? I would like to see if I couuld maybe get a little bit of a support group going. I know there are a lot of women out there with PCOS (including me) that have difficulty losing weight and getting into that zone where their body will successfully ovulate on its own out there.

About my reproductivity (if that is even a word): Been trying for 3 years. Had a miscarriage last June either due to a bicornuate uterus, too much clomid in the system, or chromosomal abnormality and haven't had success since.

I know that weight loss isn't going to be a fix-all, but it is something that needs to be done, and this is what is motivating me to stick with it. I do have trouble finding time during the day to work out since I am a nanny and it is hard to work around a child's schedule or to be 15 miles from my treadmill. lol

Replies

• erin00w
    Options
    Hi there! I don't have PCOS but I too am trying to lose weight for fertility reasons. I got pregnant on my own last year at 40 and miscarried in July. We have been trying to get pregnant again since then but no luck. I am going to a new doctor next week and I know she is going to bring up my weight. I didn't know that there was a weight cut off for fertility treatment. How horrible would it be if I missed my last chance to be a mom because I was too fat to get the treatments? I have to change now.
  • RainbowDream83
    Options
    Yes, I am!
    Some people don't realize just how hard having PCOS is.
    I've known about it since I was 18 (I'll be 29 next month)
    Clomid hasn't worked for me, at least yet....

I can/need to do this for myself and my future child (hopefully)
    We all just have to keep that hope, focus on what we really want, and we CAN make it happen! :)
  • dori264
    Options
    Hi there,
    I just want you to know, I will pray for you. I kind of am going through the same thing. Although I have a 12 year old daughter whom I am soooo blessed for, but I had her at 17. I have a great life, Im married to a wonderful man and we would love to have another child but it hasnt worked out. And Im thinking my self, it may be due to my weight as well. Im currently 264 pounds!!!! I HAVE To do it this time. Ill pray for you and I hope your blessed with a beautiful baby!

God Bless.
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I don't have pcos but I am definately working to lose weightht so my future pregnancies will be healthier than they would be right now.. Thats one of my biggest motivators. I want to be at my goal before we get pregnant.

Good luck to you! If you would like another friend-add me!
  • Moin78
    Options
    Wow! It is so nice to know that I'm not alone out there. Thanks so much for all your kind words and thoughts. I've got tears in my eyes realizing that I'm really not alone and your stories have touched me. Feel free to add me as a friend and maybe we can be successful in motivating each other and having future pregnancies that are healthy.
  • BeeJoseph
    Options
    Hey!

I have PCOS too, got diagnosed when I was 17 and im 31 now, been struggling to loose weight for years! I also have diabetes so that doesn't help!

I will be starting my journey for a baby this year so trying to loose as much weight as possible, minimum being 2 stone before the fertility clinic will even accept me. Just last year I started getting periods, before that Id gone 13 years only having one period! So I am currently being tested to find out if im ovulating. I managed to loose some weight before I got married last year which is what seems to have kick started my cycle so If I can loose even more, I may not even need fertility treatment (fingers crossed eh!)

Feel free to add me, anyone, as I know Im going to need support and I would really like to help out anyone else.
  • LadyBrady
    LadyBrady Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I do not have PCOS or any type of infertility! But I am trying to drop the weight before we get pregnant! We have been trying for 5 years now! please feel free o add me!
  • goodgollymrsholly86
    Options
    I do not have PCOS, but I have had two miscarries. And my Dr. does not know what is wrong. We have not tried since my 2nd one and that was in 2008. So I am trying to get as healthy as possible so that hopefully when that time comes third time is a charm.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I don't have PCOS, but unexplained infertility. Whenever I make a change to my diet or health, I hope in the back of my mind that I will magically become fertile, but no such luck! I haven't been grossly overweight, but still hoped that losing weight would help my fertility. Running has been great for my awful periods - lots of pain, swelling, constipation, heavy bleeding, awful PMS, etc. etc. all gone now. If I have any symptoms now, they are very mild. I actually forget all about my period. If only I'd known this twenty five years ago!

Celiac disease is also a cause of infertility, and I hoped when I gave up gluten that I would get pregnant. But it didn't make any difference.

I had such severe side effects from Clomid I would never go on it, or any form of hormone treatment, again.

Our adopted son is 13.5. I wish things had worked out that we could have adopted more, but that's a whole 'nother story. Unfortunately, adoption isn't a "sure thing" any more than fertility treatment is.

Tomorrow is my 19th wedding anniversary. We started trying to conceive immediately. I can't believe that I still wonder, if my period is a day late, if I am pregnant. You would think that by now I would be able to just let it go.

Pam
  • Chaquilas
    Chaquilas Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have not been officially diagnosed as having pcos but it has been mentioned ad a possibility several times. I gained close to 200 lbs in a little over a year and have only had 1 period since. That one lasted over a month and only ended after a d & c and removal of several polyps(likely caused by my weight). I would love to be a member of a support group. I will be so happy when my period returns, and few women can relate to that.
  • bride2bcharl
    Options
    I also have pcos I'm 27 soon and have been trying for 3 years, I'm waiting for a appointment to go to the fertility clinic, I'm also trying to lose weight for my health is the main reason but also for my wedding, I can relate to what you say above , good luck :) if you ever need a chat add me as a friend , xx
  • jcheesman18
    jcheesman18 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am hoping my wife will sleep with me again! Does that count? lol

But in all seriousness....I'm sure it's better to to get fit first and see how your body reacts.

Good for you.
  • KimG726
    KimG726 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ladies, I have PCOS as well and completely understand the hard struggle it causes to lose weight and with infertility. Please feel free to add me as a friend. We can help give each other lots of encouragement!
  • Moin78
    Options
    Yes! I am hoping my wife will sleep with me again! Does that count? lol

But in all seriousness....I'm sure it's better to to get fit first and see how your body reacts.

Good for you.

Totally counts! LOL
  • mryba2002
    Options
    Hi,
    I was not diagnosed with PCOS but I had a miscarriage in 2008 and did three rounds of Chlomid afterwards with no success. I then went to a fertility clinic and found out that for my height/weight the amount of Chlomid my doc gave me would never have helped me. I'm about 65 pounds overweight now at 6 feet tall so I don't look super obese, but I technically am if you go by my BMI. The doc could only tell me that when women are overweight, their fat cells hold onto estrogen and that I probably had too much in my system to ovulate on my own. I did go with the first step of hormone shots and was successful.

I have a 21 month old son. Breastfeeding is natures miracle diet and I lost about 35 pounds when I only gained 16 the whole pregnancy. I few months ago I was back at my 9 month pregnant weight (which was my heaviest). I've lost 14 pounds and just started here with a friend. I need to lose that last 65 to get into a good BMI and hope I can get pregnant on my own this next time. Friend me if you'd like...sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat!
  • RobbieKCPhT
    RobbieKCPhT Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm new here! I'm a CPhT in Iowa. I work at a pharmacy inside a GROCERY STORE, and over the past 7 years, I've gained 75 lbs. because its so easy to eat whatever you want. Well, that's ALL ABOUT TO CHANGE! My 1st goal is to lose 50 lbs. When I accomplish that, I'm buying myself a new Coach handbag (because I love them.) My 2nd goal will be to lose another 25 lbs. Not sure what treat I'll get then, perhaps the latest iPad that is available! Anyway, hope you can all help encourage me, and I'll do the same for you! <3
  • shashmann
    Options
    Hi! I was diagnosed with PCOS almost 2 years ago. I refuse to try clomid b/c the last hormonal treatment made me hemorrage horribly. In the past my body has always been super responsive to weight loss. Of course all us PCOS ladies know that's easier said than done! It's not just PCOS that makes me want to lose weight though. I want to be a fun mom. :glasses:
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    me me me! my hubby and i are hoping to start trying in a couple of years when he's done with school and my weight is lower. ladies, we can do this!!
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily fertility reasons, but because being fat and pregnant is HORRIBLE. I was absolutely miserable, and I could barely walk by the end. Our plans were to ttc when my daughter turned 12 months (next month), but we are putting it off until I lose some weight - this time I am actually going to do it though, so it isn't as painful to wait as I thought it'd be.
  • reashu85
    Options
    I also have PCOS and it is so hard to lose weight with it, I know where you are coming from. I have two children (the first age 5 was conceived NO PROBLEM, he was a "ooppps", lol, but my daughter I did two rounds of the clomid, she was conceived from the second round.)
    Feel free to add me as a friend