zumba-how many calories do it burn

Options
lopo
lopo Posts: 14 Member
Just wondering if anyone knew how many calories, approximately, that zumba burns.

Replies

• jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on your height, weight, gender and intensity level.

For me, a short, relatively slim, trained dancer, it only burns around 200-250 calories an hour.

I've seen people say they can burn 1000. I have no idea if that's really possible or not.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i went to zumba tonight. I am also slim and relatively fit however I burned 450 cals in an hour tonight which isnt bad considering 45 mins of circuit training for me was only 270 yesterday!
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    this will tell you!

http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My instructor wears a HRM with the chest strap and she is LITTLE. I would guess 5'4, 110. Her routines are pretty intense and she says 800. I am 5'8", 199 so I figure I burn that much even if I don't go as hard as she does (but I try).
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor, I burn about 900 - 1000 calories.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    For me, it varies very much each time I take the class also. The teacher, their intensity, the routine they choose, and how hard you push yourself will all factor in. I can burn in the range of 250-400 during a Zumba class, depending on these factors.
  • kashmyre
    kashmyre Posts: 105 Member
    Options

I just did this calulation and it gave me 806.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    if you have zumba 2 wii thankfully that does it. it seems pretty accurate, but before from dvds i did 10 calories per minute if i worked really hard, if not it was 5 calories per minute, and then somewhere in between if i was working hard but not super hard, like sweat dripping. zumbacalories.com seems to be pretty accurate though.
  • traciwalding
    Options
    I'm a zumba instructor.. I googled this question and read that 45 minutes burns about 350 - 400 calories and 60 minutes burns between 450 - 500. I hope this helps.
  • Gatorjrm
    Gatorjrm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and I burn anywhere from 400-700 depending on the routines and how hard I push
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I burn between 400-700 depending on the rountine and how much I put into it. That is my range with my heart rate monitor.
  • trout78
    trout78 Posts: 102
    Options
    Since my Zumba instructor is always high energy in class and likes to push us I usually burn between 600-700 calories for an hour!
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    There's no way of exactly knowing unless you have a HRM. I used that website before I bought my HRM and it was way off. I burn from 550-700 but I do high impact!
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't trust that zumba calories website because it doesn't know your teacher.

I've been to one class and not broken a sweat or even got slighty out of breath. But I've been to a different class which was really good fun and got you properly moving.

Schnarfo, you look a lot more toned/muscular and taller than I am so that could be part of the difference. Also suspect your teacher must be a lot better!
  • lopo
    lopo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the response!
  • Berendina
    Berendina Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Check out. http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/. You type in your weight how long you worked out for and the intensity and it will tell you how many calories you burned. Good luck!!!!!