My Dad!

Options
MFPfriend
MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
So this isn't really a success for me, but I'm so thrilled I decided to post it.

Tonight, I went out for dinner with my dad. We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant. Normally, with his dinner, my dad would order a large soda, and probably refill it. My dad also works as a letter carrier, and usually eats lunch at Taco Bell or some place like that. At Taco Bell he would also order a soda and refill it multiple times.

My dad weighs almost 300 pounds. The last time we went to donate blood, he had high blood pressure.

Tonight, when we got our drinks, I asked for a water cup. And then my dad says "Yeah, can I get a water cup too?"

I asked him why, and apparently he's given up soda.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but with the amount of soda my dad drinks, it could really make a difference. I mean, my dad's not old (barely in his 50s), but I'm just SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOO happy he's taking steps to improve his health and live longer. :)

That's my success story/happy dance for the day. :)

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Go Daddy! That's great!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Awww :) That's really great!
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Giving up soda for someone that drinks that much is HUGE! My husband gave it up and lost 20 pounds in 6 months without doing anything else.. he didn't give it up for weight reasons, but it was an unexpected benefit!
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Good on your Daddy!!!! You deserve to do a happy dance!
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    That is awesome to hear! I know how hard it is to give up the soda... I am right now :wink: Congrats to him (and you!)
  • lq022
    lq022 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thats awesome! and it will make a huge difference! I'm always really excited when my family members get on-board the healthy train too haha
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I bet your healthy lifestyles help him realize changes he needs to make!!
  • katyejean
    katyejean Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My dad is the same! He's been big for as far back as I can remember, and when he got diagnosed with diabetes, he really lost a ton of weight. He put some back on, and definitely watching his sugar. Except the holidays. And I always feel really bad for dad because he's not exactly the brightest, and the rest of my moms family picks on him. He laughs along, but I know he has to feel pretty bad about it, too... He has an account here, but he doesn't get on. My mom and my little brother are both on health kicks, and I'm very sure dad has jumped on. He can't always grasp the 'salad only counts when it isn't filled with dressings'. Luckily, with my new knowledge, I can say 'hey dad, you can try this and this instead of this or that." :) I want my daddy around forever. And though I know this isn't possible, I don't want him to go just because he didn't treat himself well!
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Good for him!!!!
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you for being a good example!! Good luck to your dad. Maybe you can get him to join us!
  • Goldenwoof
    Goldenwoof Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Way to go, dad! :)

I gave up pop (as we call "soda" here in Pittsburgh) years ago and really don't miss it at all. I drink tons of water and iced green tea all day, every day instead and enjoy it a lot more. In fact, the only time I have pop is if I have a drink in a bar. And even then, it's diet as is "Captain and Diet." Regular Coke or Pepsi is just too sweet to me anymore.
  • vcorbin01
    vcorbin01 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    That's an awesome story! Those are baby steps which is what all of us are trying to do. Great job dad!! :)
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Way to go Daddio!
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Yay for your Dad!! He'll be happy in the long run that he gave it up!! I haven't had a soda in 5 months...and I don't even miss it at all!! =]
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Way to go, dad! :)

I gave up pop (as we call "soda" here in Pittsburgh) years ago and really don't miss it at all. I drink tons of water and iced green tea all day, every day instead and enjoy it a lot more. In fact, the only time I have pop is if I have a drink in a bar. And even then, it's diet as is "Captain and Diet." Regular Coke or Pepsi is just too sweet to me anymore.

Same here!!
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Congrats to him! Giving something up like that can make such a huge difference. It can also be really hard, so it's great he has you there for support. Just keep encouraging him, and if he slips a little, let him know it's okay and he can jump right back on track.
  • GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options
    Well done Dad!! I havent had any since new years day and last summer I had to have hypnotherapy to give up my 8 cans of coke a day so well done I know how hard it is :smile:
  • kfd1098
    kfd1098 Posts: 25
    Options
    You are having a positive influence on your Dad without him even realizing it :) We go out to breakfast every Saturday with my Dad, who is on dialysis and has a specifice diet of "don't eats". Before, he wouldn't pay attention and now, I like to think because he sees the changes in my life, he doesn't eat all of his "no's" anymore!!

Congrats to you and your Dad!
  • Tatyana130
    Options
    Great story! Go dad! Giving up soda makes a HUGE difference, actually!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!