Newbie, Qs re 30 Day Shred?

Options
2»

Replies

• clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard people generally lose 10 pounds but the biggest difference is in inches. I'm on day 3 and I'm sore so I guess its working right??? lol After you finish 30ds i would look into some of Jillian Michael's other dvds
  • mummy2marleigh
    Options
    I love 30 Day Shred! I actually cancelled my gym membership as I've been more productive at exercising since I bought it! After a year of gym membership I actually put on 14lbs as I never liked going, after doing 30 day shred in 30 days I lost 12lbs, so it clearly works for me, and I've now got another Jillian Michaels DVD. I love the fact that its only 20 mins a workout. i also love the fact that it doesn't cost anymore than the price for the dvd and I can just stick on a sports bra and leggings without caring about anyone staring while I workout at home!

I had the same problem, hate the gym! I have no confidence atall to go to the gym. Thats an amazing result aswell.
  • mummy2marleigh
    Options
    From what I've heard people generally lose 10 pounds but the biggest difference is in inches. I'm on day 3 and I'm sore so I guess its working right??? lol After you finish 30ds i would look into some of Jillian Michael's other dvds

I was thinking that iv heard the 6 pack one is great aswell.
    Its the inches im more concerned about losing to be honest i just want to lose a couple of dress sizes,
    and you know what they say "no pain no gain" :wink:
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 and I'm sore so I guess its working right??? lol
    This is so right. You will be in pain on days 2-4, pretty much guaranteed. Do not give up. Work through it and it will pass.
  • tradcliff
    Options
    Today is my first day for myfitnesspal I'm excited and really looking forward to getting on the right path to getting healthy. But as for the "hard core" workout I don't think no wait I know I'm not in shape to start off with something like that. I've been tempted and even bought some WII workouts and did them for "a while" then was worn out. I want to lose some weight first by doing walking and chasing after my little one. I'm 44 and have a 14 yr old and a 3 yr old. I always tell my doc he forgot to take the excess fat out after I had my little girl! :laugh: kudos to those of you energized to do the work out! KEEP UP THE GREAT WORKOUTS! I will be there soon enough!
  • prettyash76
    Options
    Im just staring, but love it. Im seeing results already. Feel free to add me!
  • kyates_87
    kyates_87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have this dvd as well and started doing it this summer, but for some reason gained 10lb while working out..at it was not muscle! So i'd like to try again. I am thinking about joining a gym, for the fact of child care. I have a 1 1/2 year old and an almost 3 year. They are so busy all i want to during naptime is relax. I like to jog, but live in Wisconsin so during the winter months it's hard to get out especially with two kiddos.
    If you all are joining a group to do this dvd, i would like to join you as well!
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred in November. Ever single day, and there were days I really wanted to quit but I had a friend on here and we had challenged each other to do it so I stuck with it. It paid off big time.

First off I'd been doing MFP for a while and my loss was slowing down to a crawl. After talking to several people and a nutritionist I discovered I had been starving myself by only eating the minimum (1200 calories) and over doing my cardio (by a lot). So as I was doing the Shred I actually had to spend the first almost 2 weeks of the month doing what's called a re-feed. :grumble: The first week I gained a couple lbs, turns out most people will because of the muscles retaining water to heal. After that I stayed away from the scale until the end of the month. After a nearly 2 week re-feed I went back to deficit eating. When I weighed in at the end of the month I had lost 4 lbs (not too bad considering I was only eating to lose for 2 weeks of the month) and had dropped a pants size. I also gained definition in my muscles (I didn't even know I had any :laugh: ).

It's tough but worth it, enjoy and do your best. Oh, and don't be afraid the swear at the tv.
  • JeskaPreston
    Options
    Wow, thats what i want more than anything to lose the inches. Sounds like a fantastic program i am so excited to get started, even though i will probably pass out first time im so unfit :wink:

Jeska iv just seen your OH is a personal trainer too :smile:

He's just qualified as a personal trainer - not actually found a personal training job yet... but it definitely motivates me to sort myself out and lose some weight! I couldn't have him training me either, he's tried motivating me when I'm running but I just tell him to shuttup and stop ! Can't wait to start this programme though! You will have to let me know how you get on with it :) PM me because I'm getting lost in this message board! So many people have responded to you haha!
  • JeskaPreston
    Options
    I'm going to order mine now! I still don't really have any idea what it is... I'm assuming it's an exercise dvd you do every day for 30 days!? Haha I just want results!!! x
    You're right, it's an exercise DVD by Jillian Michaels, "TV's toughest trainer".

She's a marmite personality. Personally I love her stuff, even when I feel like I'm going to die!!! Some folk can't stand her and could never put up with even 30 minutes.

The shred is a 30-day program, split into 3 levels which are progressively more difficult. The idea is that you start on level 1, do that workout 10 times and then, if you feel ready, move up to level 2. Lather, rinse, repeat. Each workout takes less than 30 minutes. The workouts all follow the 3-2-1 system. You do a warmup followed by 3 circuits; each circuit consists of 3 mins strength; 2 mins cardio; 1 min abs. There's a cool down to finish. You will sweat bucketloads!

All the equipment you will need is hand weights, although if you don't have those then a couple of bottles of water or cans of soup will do!

JM has said that you are NOT supposed to do the shred every day - 4-5 workouts a week only, moving up to the next level when you feel ready.

I really rate her DVDs. I have the shred and also 6 week 6 pack. I recommend both. Good luck!

That sounds great - thank you very much for your response :smile:
  • mummy2marleigh
    Options
    I did the 30 Day Shred in November. Ever single day, and there were days I really wanted to quit but I had a friend on here and we had challenged each other to do it so I stuck with it. It paid off big time.

First off I'd been doing MFP for a while and my loss was slowing down to a crawl. After talking to several people and a nutritionist I discovered I had been starving myself by only eating the minimum (1200 calories) and over doing my cardio (by a lot). So as I was doing the Shred I actually had to spend the first almost 2 weeks of the month doing what's called a re-feed. :grumble: The first week I gained a couple lbs, turns out most people will because of the muscles retaining water to heal. After that I stayed away from the scale until the end of the month. After a nearly 2 week re-feed I went back to deficit eating. When I weighed in at the end of the month I had lost 4 lbs (not too bad considering I was only eating to lose for 2 weeks of the month) and had dropped a pants size. I also gained definition in my muscles (I didn't even know I had any :laugh: ).

It's tough but worth it, enjoy and do your best. Oh, and don't be afraid the swear at the tv.

I think there will be ALOT of swearing at the Tv! Think i may have to send Little one upstairs with Daddy :laugh:
    Well done on your results though, and thanks for that about the water retention i always wondered why i seem to gain a few pounds when starting out... Not that iv ever kept it up long enough to lose it again...
    But i will this time! :smile:
  • ProjectTae
    ProjectTae Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi- I am glad that you asked these questions. I just got the DVD's and I was hoping to start either today or tomorrow and I would love some company and encouragement...Let me know if you are interested and if there is anyone else interested in this as well...

I'm starting the 9th :)
  • Amber20lbs
    Options
    i did her 6 week six pack dvd with my friend and it helped us a lot i went from a size 10 to a 6 in like a month but that was with a diet change and we would go on walks a few days a week. that was last year...i let myself go again so im starting at square one but this time around im going to stick to it lol. i personally LOVE jillian micheals i think she is amazing!
  • JeskaPreston
    Options
    :smile: Hi- I am glad that you asked these questions. I just got the DVD's and I was hoping to start either today or tomorrow and I would love some company and encouragement...Let me know if you are interested and if there is anyone else interested in this as well...

I'm starting the 9th :)

Im starting on the 9th too! Dependant on whether my DVD actually arrives on time :) You will have to let us know what you think of it!