Skipping... is it really this hard?

Options
So in my fat-fighting arsenal after doing research and deciding what things I would or wouldn't be able to commit myself to, I invested in a skipping rope. Yup. Not done it since school, but I remember it being so much, well easier!! I could only do two minutes, and at most only ever managed to clear the rope four times before tripping on it! I used to be able to do it much easier I'm sure! I guess I have an awful lot more weight to propel upwards, but by god was the effort hard - I was expecting a workout, but not a killer lol. I'm hoping that my technique should improve with a bit of practice, and maybe I can up the amount by a few seconds each day or something - I'm certainly not going to aim too high on this one!

I'm hoping at least part of my technique fail is due to the fact that the plastic rope was trying to bunch itself together where i'd only just removed it from its packaging!

Anyone else skip and had success with it?I could do with some support as I intend to see it through!

Replies

• MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Jumping rope is an AMAZING cardio exercise. You can burn tons of calories in just a few minutes of jumping rope.

Just keep at it, you'll get back to those kindergarten days soon! :):)
  • scottnbarbi
    Options
    That's why boxers do so much skipping rope, to build their endurance for long fights.
  • ExcelWithMel
    ExcelWithMel Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Keep at it. You'll get better. And then start trying double unders. Go to YouTube for a visual if you don't know.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Its funny you say this because I just started a personal training class and he starts out the class with 2 min. of jumping jacks, and then goes to moutain climbers and the last cardio we do is skipping. The first day I thought to myself when did skipping get so hard! and how embarrassing it would be to pass out from skipping!

I walk at lunch everyday and he told me to start incorporating skipping off and on to bump up my heartrate. Now I will do this - but probably wait until summer because I walk inside in the winter and I might look pretty silly skipping around Union Station in my business work clothes!
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Skipping is really good for you! BUT really hard work, I'm guessing it because everytime you jump you kinda lift you whole body! Anyway that aside, when I was first handed a skipping rope in the gym I could barely do 20 jumps and with time I got better and I'm SURE you will too!

Oooh one bit of advice, NEVER do it barefoot if you have a plastic rope! I'm speaking from experience it can really hurt! LOL!

Good luck! Stick with it!
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I bought one as well, but haven't had much chance to use it., but I plan to. If I can just keep the dog from trying to grab the rope when it swings around...
    As MFPfriend said, it's great cardio exercise. I run a lot, but the couple of times I tried jumping rope, I was quickly winded from it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    weighted ropes are a little harder to spin, but not as hard to trip over (FOR ME at least)

the lightweight ropes I don't spin hard enough, and they float in above my head longer than I expect, so I skip too soon and end up tripping. I have added a small plastic weight to the center of my rope and it has become a little easier

now I just have to deal with the rope twisting. should have bought the thick plastic kind instead of twine braided rope :|
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Oh I HATE skipping. And I'm fit. It's a real cardio move...bloody hard work. Good for you for giving it a shot
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

Oooh one bit of advice, NEVER do it barefoot if you have a plastic rope! I'm speaking from experience it can really hurt! LOL!

I thought "I keep tripping, it must be because my shoes are so thick" and I took off my shoes. OW

OW. mistake. MISTAKE.
  • spikess
    spikess Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i've just bought myself some ropes for the same reason, and experiencing the same thing! i've only been using them for a couple of days, but i seem to be improving each time! i try break it up so i do 2 minutes at a go randomly throughout the day.

must admit i still find it as fun :D
  • davepavone
    Options
    Funny I have been trying to add this myself. The first day it was two trip three trip for like ten minutes it still kicked my butt.
    Now I can go longer it time but still tripping up after a few times. So I look at it like this My cordanation went with my eye sight lol
    just keep at it I got to belive we will over come:happy:
  • annemareef
    Options
    I 'm amazed that I had forgotten about skipping.
    Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to buy one and take it one skip at a time.
    Eventually, I imagine I could have my old wonderful fitness level back.

10544331.png
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    weighted ropes are a little harder to spin, but not as hard to trip over (FOR ME at least)

the lightweight ropes I don't spin hard enough, and they float in above my head longer than I expect, so I skip too soon and end up tripping. I have added a small plastic weight to the center of my rope and it has become a little easier

That weighting idea sounds just the ticket, what did you use? I was thinking of trying a biro shaft or something similar to keep it from turning into a twisted 'V' shape as it goes under my feet, I'm pretty sure this is why it catches...

I totally get what everyone means about catching yourself - it's whippy! Ah well, if tomorrow I can do 5-6 in a row before catching I'll feel better about things!
  • Mr_Motivator42
    Mr_Motivator42 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You need a leather rope
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT skip. I do circuits lesson twice a week where we do skipping and I can't do it. I just don't have the co-ordination. I have ended up with the rope wrapped round my neck, I have ripped out an earring with it, and fallen over or whacked myself in the head countless times.
  • christatree
    christatree Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If all else fails and you just can't get it down with the rope then mimic the motions without the rope.
    If you've ever experienced Jillian Michaels 30 day shred she does a section with jumping jacks and jump rope with no rope (it about killed me the first time) but you have the same result without the risk of injury by plastic or fabric rope LOL
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Yay! That I can do!

Pam
    If all else fails and you just can't get it down with the rope then mimic the motions without the rope.
    If you've ever experienced Jillian Michaels 30 day shred she does a section with jumping jacks and jump rope with no rope (it about killed me the first time) but you have the same result without the risk of injury by plastic or fabric rope LOL
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I skip rope between sets when lifting to keep my heart rate up. I trip every few seconds and look ridiculous, but the burn is amazing!
  • kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I must update that I discovered I in fact CAN skip - it was the GRASS tripping me over lol - as soon as I did it on the concrete I was away - 10 skips without breaking, so I'm on my way!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I put a jump rope on my wishlist just the other day (hopefully my husband will get me one for my birthday next week, or I will)!