Closet Eater Help!

Options
I feel like a recovering drug addict! Trying to limit my food intact is sometimes so hard. When my husband and kids are in bed I just want to snack snack snack. It usually happens when I'm bored, angry, or depressed. Sometimes I'll grab a bag of chips or a candy bar at the store and eat it really quick before I get home so no one can see me. Then I "hide" the evidence. It's hard to get past these feelings. I feel like I need a sponsor to get past the tough times. Anyone else feel this way???

Kendra

Replies

• oldphotography
    Options
    I actually experience the same thing. I'm a teenager and whenever I seem to get emotional, food is the one thing I reach for. Taco Bell was actually my personal favorite and I'm sorry to say that they began to know me by name and know exactly what I wanted to order. That's probably why I put back on my 15 lbs I worked so hard to get off and why I'm stuck at point A... again. That's why I turned to other things lately to get past the incessant, spontaneous cravings. Whenever I want food, I'll usually text someone or take a walk to get my mind off of it. If I actually am hungry and not just bored, I reach for something that's healthy. I'm determined to be able to wear my skinny jeans again and nothing, not even Taco Bell, will get in my way this time.
  • knurse1987
    knurse1987 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I used to be like that...get food on the way home from work at midnight and trash the evidence before I got home so noone knows I ate such unhealthy food so late at night...I know the feeling...and it took time to get over it...I guilt myself out of doing it now...Ive been clean for a long time, but it is so easy to fall back into if you are not careful!! You can do! Dont let the snacks win!
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to do this but have learned to stop through MFP and seeing how many calories and salt I was going through. I have learned to keep a special K bar in my purse for emergencies on the commute home, and sometimes even if I walk into a store with the intent to buy chips I realize how many calories are in it and then just get a diet soda or water and leave.

If you feel like eating a lot try to drink some water or herbal tea instead, eat some raw veggies or fruit, or find something else to do that will relax you. Hope this helps, feel free to friend me. :smile:
  • KendiRaeBee
    Options
    Thanks, you guys for all the support and help. I need to drink more tea and water because I know that makes me feel fuller and will hopefully deter me. My husband was out of town last week and it out of town most of this week. At night it's so hard! Last week I tried to go to bed early and read. Since it's warm in the bed I don't want to get up! :) I'll have to try it again tonight.