Need recommendations...

Options
OK so I haven't exercised regularly in probably over 10 years. I want to loose about 50lbs but, more importantly, I want to get into better shape/fit better into clothes, etc. Cardio stuff KILLS me. I'm not ready for anything hard core, as I know it will just frustrate me and then I won't exercise at all. So I need a good workout for beginners. I have Wii (also just got Wii Fit Plus) and I just got Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 DVD. I prefer to work out at home. And I prefer something with DVD or Wii to follow along. (VS going to the gym or walking outside, etc....)

So suggestions please? Basically I want to find a few things I enjoy so that I can stay motivated to get moving!

THANKS

Replies

• weightlossissues
    weightlossissues Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have the Wii fit. I thought it was ok but I love the X Box 360 Kinect! You can move, Jump, and NO controls. You cant jump on the Fit board. If you have a 360 get the Kinect.
  • newCourtney
    newCourtney Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you like to dance, there is a dance game for Wii. The songs have different levels, so you can pick some of the easier stuff until you build up. It keeps you moving for sure, and it's a lot of fun.
  • fourthirtyten
    Options
    Hi! ;-) I started out a year ago with my Wii so I know there's some pretty good exercise "games." I did the EA SPORTS Active 2 for a couple months. It's rather generic, but for someone who wasn't used to exercising, it was something new and different for me. Eventually I got bored with it and I ended up plateauing so I decided to move on to something a little harder. Get some resistance bands, a yoga mat, maybe a few dumbbells, and get a feel for what you enjoy. The Wii can definitely give you a good work out - both high and low impact.

I would recommend:
    - EA SPORTS Active 2, or anything similar.
    - Wii Fit Plus
    - New U Yoga & Plates
    - Biggest Loser Challenge

As far as DVD's are concerned, I have TurboFire, ChaLEAN Extreme, Insanity, P90X, and a Jillian's Yoga Meltdown. I've never done Insanity or P90X since those are DVD's my husband does, but I absolutely love TurboFire. It's super intense, but it's an awesome work out.

Good luck!
  • Poohsta0
    Poohsta0 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Check out Couch to 5K. Starts with some easy walking-running intervals. Week one is like 60 seconds walking 60 seconds running and builds slowly from there.
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree with the kinect, way better then wii (I have both), but if that's all you have it's a good tool too. Any dance games are fun and get you moving.

I have winsor pilates dvd's and love them (years ago I used them faithfully and had amazing results, and have recently started using them again). Each video is about 22 mins long, so it doesn't take up a lot of time, and if you have more time you can always do more then one!
  • cjsnurse
    cjsnurse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The Wii is great, I also found a stationary bike to be my fav....easy on the knees....start at 20 min and work your way up
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Definitely DO NOT do Jillian Michaels right now then! IT will put you off for life! I was like you (still am). I liked swimming, you feel dead light. I did one day of JM 30ds and almost died. I now have zumba and wii fit and I loved doing them today so much I can't wait to go back on tomorrow! Never thought I'd say that!