HEartrate monitor

Options
I NEED one I want one this week. I keep putting it off. It is the only way I feel lke you can TRULY know how much cal your are burning. BUt this might be a DUMB question but how do you use hte monitor to calculate the cal burn. What is an inexpensive one I can buy this weekend somewhere

Replies

• raindropwishes
    Options
    Can't answer your questions, but curious to see answers.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The Polar brand seems to be a very popular choice. I did some research before I got mine and basically found that the ones with a chest strap and a watch are the most accurate. I checked around for other reliable brands and found that people were happy with New Balance's HRM as well. Neither brand is particularly inexpensive, and like you, I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I started checking Amazon and other online sites, and watching auctions on eBay for Polar and New Balance HRM. Ended up getting a brand new New Balance N4 from eBay for about $28. :) They retail for around $70.

Basically I wanted one that has the chest strap and the watch, with the ability to enter my info (gender, height, weight, activity level) for a more accurate read on actual calories burned. Hope that helps!
  • PandaFAmBAm
    Options
    The Polar brand seems to be a very popular choice. I did some research before I got mine and basically found that the ones with a chest strap and a watch are the most accurate. I checked around for other reliable brands and found that people were happy with New Balance's HRM as well. Neither brand is particularly inexpensive, and like you, I didn't want to spend a lot of money. I started checking Amazon and other online sites, and watching auctions on eBay for Polar and New Balance HRM. Ended up getting a brand new New Balance N4 from eBay for about $28. :) They retail for around $70.

Basically I wanted one that has the chest strap and the watch, with the ability to enter my info (gender, height, weight, activity level) for a more accurate read on actual calories burned. Hope that helps!

How do u tell the calories you burn
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    One of the modes on the watch is for heart rate and has a stop/start button - I hit start when I start my workout and stop after cool down. The watch can save up to 9 workouts (it calls them Run 1, Run 2, etc) and it shows me the date, time worked out, time spent in my heart rate zone, calories burned, highest heart rate, and fat % burned I think....I mostly just pay attention to my heart rate during the workout and calories burned when I'm done so I can log it.
  • michelledyan
    michelledyan Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AmyRhubarb
    Options
    It also has a feature that you can turn on or off - it will beep at you if you're below your target heart rate, or if it's too high, calculated for you by your personal info you enter into the watch. Pretty cool little device - I really like having a better idea of what I'm burning in each workout.
  • sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind - the HRM does not ACTUALLY MEASURE the amount of calories you burn. It is a good estimate, based on a formula built into the monitor, and on your heart rate while exercising. Better quality HRM will ask you your weight and resting HR.

But at the end of the day, it's still an estimate. HTH!

PS - I have a Polar F7 and I like it.
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I have this one and really like it so far (only had it a week or two). For me, I didn't want a chest strap so this one was perfect for me! http://www.amazon.com/Motiva-Petite-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B0055QF6JO
  • MegMilleratc
    Options
    I have a Garmin without the GPS for running since I run mostly on a treadmill. Mine was $140 after tax but I LOVE it. I started with a Sportline watch from Walmart for about $27, it was okay but when you are working out hard it doesn't read well. That might be a decent one to start at. A good HRM is a great investment, it's the best way to truly track the intensity of your workouts and the good one's hold up for a very long time. I justified mine to my finance by telling him if I work out 5 days a week then after a year it will have cost .54 cents per workout. I am a nerd like that but it works for me. Hope you can find this information useful.
  • eatlift
    eatlift Posts: 113
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 a few months ago and am happy with it. I push a button twice and it tells me my heart rate during the workout. I push a different button twice at the end of my workout and it tells me how many calories I burned. It does not tell me DURING the workout how many calories Im burning but it doesnt really matter.
  • mistrav
    mistrav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I own a Sportline SX Universal Combo ECG Heart rate monitor. You can use it with or without the chest belt. You have to enter your weight, height, resting heart rate, length of stride, etc. to get it all set up. It's as accurate as they come. you can even take your heart rate in the middle of the workout and see how many calories you're burning as you go. I'm super happy with it. 50-60 at WM :)
  • mistrav
    mistrav Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    also came with a free 1 yr digital subscription to "Runner"
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I got a Polar FT7 a few months ago and am happy with it. I push a button twice and it tells me my heart rate during the workout. I push a different button twice at the end of my workout and it tells me how many calories I burned. It does not tell me DURING the workout how many calories Im burning but it doesnt really matter.

Actually it does. When in training mode, push either the top or bottom button on the right side of the watch to switch screens.. You'll be able to see your heart rate, what zone you're in, your calories burned, time elapsed and what time it is currently.

To OP:
    If you're looking for accuracy, then inexpensive is not what you want. The cheaper it is, the worse it tends to be at estimating calories. You're also going to want a chest strap.. the ones with out are not nearly as accurate at estimating calories. Even when you have all the components though(chest strap, age, weight, height,gender, max heart rate) It's only going to be about 80% accurate at best.

With that all being said, Polar FT4 is prob. your best bet for inexpensive and that you can buy right away. If you can stand to wait, you can get really good deals on amazon. I had a Polar FT7(which I loved) but recently upgraded to a Polar FT60, which is fantastic.
  • janiedoe111
    janiedoe111 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch. I am not really good at wearing the chest strap, and it doesn't work inside only when I am outside. But then it works great. :) I'd love a watch only inside and outside option.
  • roodieroo
    roodieroo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I bought a New Balance N4 using a coupon at Sports Authority. I make sure to update it weekly with my most current weight. It has an option while recording your workout to view the time, highest HR achieved, time in target zone, or calories. At the end of your workout, you can review all recorded parameters. I love it... Had it for about 4 months now.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I had the same EXACT question as the OP, and I am also looking for one that will calculate my HRM and calories while in the water. A lot of my cardio is done in the pool, especially with summer being here. I don't want something I have to log into a separate site for their product and just want to be able to see what I burned and then input it onto MFP. I would hate to have to start using multiple sites. Also since I am in the water doing cardio, I don't want a chest strap.
  • janessafantasma
    janessafantasma Posts: 312 Member
    Options

Actually it does. When in training mode, push either the top or bottom button on the right side of the watch to switch screens.. You'll be able to see your heart rate, what zone you're in, your calories burned, time elapsed and what time it is currently.

To OP:
    If you're looking for accuracy, then inexpensive is not what you want. The cheaper it is, the worse it tends to be at estimating calories. You're also going to want a chest strap.. the ones with out are not nearly as accurate at estimating calories. Even when you have all the components though(chest strap, age, weight, height,gender, max heart rate) It's only going to be about 80% accurate at best.

With that all being said, Polar FT4 is prob. your best bet for inexpensive and that you can buy right away. If you can stand to wait, you can get really good deals on amazon. I had a Polar FT7(which I loved) but recently upgraded to a Polar FT60, which is fantastic.

I just looked at the Polar FT60 and I am really interested in it. So it does tell you calories burned and HR? Also does it calculate HR and calories burned while in the water? I am in the water a lot and that is wear I am burning the majority of my calories during workouts. I prefer water aerobics over land, ha.