I feel like I can't walk!

Options
I'm just a week into my weightloss journey, I went to the gym for the third time this week and did a little under an hour of cardio, then took two 30 minute classes that the gym offered. The class on arms was fine, I am a little sore there but the glass on legs hurt me a LOT. It's been a few hours now and I still feel like I can barely walk and every time I bend my knees I get intense pains on the tops of my upper legs. When I stand up my legs feel all wobbly like I'm going to fall down if I don't sit down quickly.

Is this normal, and me just being a baby or should I be concerned?

Replies

• housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You did too much all at once and your muscles are telling you that. Over training can give you pain but can also cause injuries. Until you've really gotten into more of a schedule over a period of time plan on no more than 45 minutes to an hour of workouts and make sure you are not doing strength type workouts on the same muscle groups two days in a row. Cardio every day is ok and so is strength workouts as long as you are alternating muscle groups. If in doubt get a couple of appts with a trainer to help set up a plan for you.
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you made a newbie mistake. You tried to do too much too fast.

When we excercise our muscles excrete an acid which is the whole 'feel the burn' thing. However, if you do TOO much, the acid will actually HURT your muscles.

The way to prevent that is to work up. Don't be ashamed to only do 15 minutes of cardio at a time. Walk for 15 minutes (or however long until you feel that GENTLE burn) and then do something with your arms and then go back to walking again if you feel up to it.

Also, the heavier you are the more work it is to excercise and so you're putting stress on your body. As you begin to lose, excercising will become easier and you'll be able to do it for longer and then more weight will come off and etc.

You CAN do this - do NOT be discouraged. Just take it slow and work your way up. Good luck!
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on how to ease the pain?
  • serar
    serar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I find that just walking helps. I want to keep my muscles stretched even if it hurts. If it's really bad I will take hot showers/baths, but mostly I find that if I keep moving (nothing difficult, of course, which is why I mention walking), I'm better in a day or two.
  • Pappabacon
    Pappabacon Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Motrin
  • Silverstar46
    Silverstar46 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Make sure to keep moving around. Have you ever seen that commericial for arthritus pain that says, "A body at rests stays at rest and a body in motion stays in motion" ?? That is true. The more you move the more it will help to ease the muscles.

I also recommend stretching before excercising to prepare your muscles for what you're about to do. It gets them warmed up (just like we do to our cars in the winter by letting them idle, press on the gas a bit in the cold) and they move better when warmed up.

Also, if the pain is that bad, take advil which has ibuprofen so it should help with any swelling/inflamation you've caused.

But the most important thing is to NOT QUIT. Keep excercising just make sure to build up to it. Plus, remember that an hour a day of cardio/strength is plenty for anyone in any shape.
  • Jesung
    Jesung Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Get the blood flowing into the areas that are sore, eat well, and sleep well. You might consider eating a bit more (at your BMR) to help your body recover temporarily.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It happens...try some tiger balm rubbed into your muscles.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Stretching. Resting. Advil. A warm bath. And time.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options

A combination of heating pad, ice pack and muscle rub. Not all three things at once :wink: just a variety of them throughout the weekend.
  • trotter664
    Options
    Tylenol and water. Lots of water to flush your system. :-) Some may say to exercise through the pain, but go light and slow. :-)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Ibuprohpen, 200mg for every two hours, you can take 3-4 for the overnight as long as you're beyond your last two hour dose. Take it on full stomach, and don't take it every day, it can cause ulcers.

LOTS OF WATER

A little movement will actually help loosen up your muscles a bit, even just a walk around the house just don't overdo it, and icy/hot muscle rub is awesome stuff, use it sparingly at first to measure how much you can handle.. I'm a lightweight with that stuff, it works fast for me.

Ice the first day, heating pad, 20 min on, 20 min off the second and subsequent days.

Good luck, tomorrow will feel a bit worse, the day after that maybe even worse, (the two days after effect) then it will start to ease up.

(Remember, we're not doctors here, if you really feel like you've torn something, or it does not get better, see your doctor)
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out with my trainer I couldn't walk, sit or bend for over a week :embarassed:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm just a week into my weightloss journey, I went to the gym for the third time this week and did a little under an hour of cardio, then took two 30 minute classes that the gym offered. The class on arms was fine, I am a little sore there but the glass on legs hurt me a LOT. It's been a few hours now and I still feel like I can barely walk and every time I bend my knees I get intense pains on the tops of my upper legs. When I stand up my legs feel all wobbly like I'm going to fall down if I don't sit down quickly.

You need to take a week off and rest.
  • TriforceRaven
    TriforceRaven Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that really weak, wobbly feeling in your legs is great. You'll learn to love it. After an especially hard swim practice, being all weak and wobbly (especially with a busted knee and too-few calories), you feel like you might just faint. It's a great feeling imo. Like being high without the drugs.

If it really bothers you that much, lay back just a tad and be sure to ice your legs. Getting into a habit of stretching constantly is good too. Right when you wake up, in the middle of the day, and before you go to bed. PLUS before and after working out.
  • pretty_ribbons
    pretty_ribbons Posts: 154 Member
    Options

i have done this before, i bet it hurt when you get on and off the toilet! :explode: but dont stop just do abit less next time
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree, to feel better you have to keep moving. Just take it slow.

Take a couple of days to just stretch and walk.

When I get on a treadmill and my legs start to hurt after a while (but definitely not even a half an hour, sheesh) I get off, sit on the floor and stretch my legs gently then I get back on and walk at a leisurely pace until I feel I am ready to pick up the pace again. But I try to always stay in motion.

But since you've gone overboard this time, just walk for the next couple of days. Walk, rest, walk. rest. You are still burning calories too. :D
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    be sure t o stretch AFTER each workout also. it is very important and alot of people dont do this
    Make sure to keep moving around. Have you ever seen that commericial for arthritus pain that says, "A body at rests stays at rest and a body in motion stays in motion" ?? That is true. The more you move the more it will help to ease the muscles.

I also recommend stretching before excercising to prepare your muscles for what you're about to do. It gets them warmed up (just like we do to our cars in the winter by letting them idle, press on the gas a bit in the cold) and they move better when warmed up.

Also, if the pain is that bad, take advil which has ibuprofen so it should help with any swelling/inflamation you've caused.

But the most important thing is to NOT QUIT. Keep excercising just make sure to build up to it. Plus, remember that an hour a day of cardio/strength is plenty for anyone in any shape.
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options

Sounds like you did a lil too much a lil too soon. After any strength workout as arms and legs it is always good to take a protein drink to repair muscle.

Always listen to your body, you should feel a good workout but it shouldn't hurt in a way in which afterwards you are too sore to function. Doing to much too soon can also damp your desire to continue.
  • MHunte
    MHunte Posts: 149
    Options
    If you worked out at the gym and a trainer was with you he probably pushed you to muscle failure, that’s what they do, it’s not as bad as it seems, you will feel sore for the next 2-3 days but it will fade away after a few days depends on your body. Try to get a lot of protein in your body it will help you recover faster.