Eating after 7pm

Options
2»

Replies

• 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think some of us avoid late night eating, but it is based on individual preference or need not fundamental biology. Some examples:,

I take various medicines with various rules about when to take them, after working it out with the pharmacist, I try to routinely stop eating by 8 so in order to take my evening medicine two hours after eating and before I go to sleep.

Another person may suffer from acid reflux.

Someone else may find that eating after dinner triggers binge eating.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi there everyone! I am having a problem with my work days and eating past 7. I work 3 days a week, I go in around 5am and don't get out most of the time until around 6:15pm. Then I have to go get my son from the sitter's house, drive home, make him dinner and get him ready for bed. I walk in the door around 6:45-7pm. My question to everyone is this....how would you keep from eating past 7 with this schedule? My last break is at 3:30pm so it is a bit early to have my dinner then. I have tried packing an extra sandwich when I go to work so I can eat it on the way home, but that has not been working for me. (I forget it at work or it just does not fill me). I have also tried just eating at last break then going to bed hungry, but I would want to gorge myself in the morning. I work in a warehouse environment so I am burning a lot of calories during my day, so I wonder if the 7pm rule is that big of a deal or not (I always heard it was). I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem and how they fixed it? Thanks!

Hell, if I was not allowed to eat past 7pm, I would surely starve, I am in a very similar boat to you in this respect.

I look at it like this, providing I do not go past my daily allotted calorie amount, my in-v-out calorie amount should all be correct.

Tonight, for instance, I had to have something to eat at gone 9pm, simply because of the shifts I work and how the day panned out.

Eat at spaced out, regular intervals, you will be fine. It is difficult enough keeping to the calories, healthy eating and cutting out the crappy stuff, let alone living by the clock too! :laugh:
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, I don't remember where I heard the 7pm rule, but I know it was more than once. Your posts were very helpful and I will no longer fear eating after work. Thanks again!

Youll hear a lot of regurgitated myths and false rumours here. Try to notice those that actually speak the truth :)

Meal timing is totally irrelevant. You could eat all your calories for the day right before bed, and as long as you still have your calorie deficit, its all good. The reason why late night eating gets a bad rap is because people eat their allowed calories throughout the day, and THEN eat more at night, gain weight, and blame the late night eating, when all it is is they have eaten a calorie surplus.

90% of my daily calories are eaten after around 10pm, and its never hurt me! :D
  • I do suffer from acid reflux and so I need to stop eating about three hours before I go to bed. This was a HUGE change for me. I loved eating in front of the tv at night. Since I get up early, I try not to eat past about 7:30 at night; again, it's due to reflux, not any other reason.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I do suffer from acid reflux and so I need to stop eating about three hours before I go to bed. This was a HUGE change for me. I loved eating in front of the tv at night. Since I get up early, I try not to eat past about 7:30 at night; again, it's due to reflux, not any other reason.

Exactly. So many people confuse personal preference with biological fact.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    everyone knows you'll turn into a gremlin...oh wait, that's midnight

carry on!

haha...that was awesome
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I do suffer from acid reflux and so I need to stop eating about three hours before I go to bed. This was a HUGE change for me. I loved eating in front of the tv at night. Since I get up early, I try not to eat past about 7:30 at night; again, it's due to reflux, not any other reason.

Exactly. So many people confuse personal preference with biological fact.

The sentence, "So many people confuse personal preference with biological fact" will serve as my filter as I approach the MFP forums. I find the forums very useful, but I need to have filters as I determine take aways.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My husband works until 11 pm and doesn't get home until 11:30. He's found that if he doesn't eat something, even that late at night, he's starving all the next day. He usually has a salad with craisins and walnuts, but sometimes has a panini. The lesson is, if you're hungry, eat. It doesn't matter the time of day or night. Make sure it's healthy and try to never eat so much that you feel stuffed - just that you feel sated.

One more comment that I think a lot of folks can benefit from. My husband used to have extreme reflux - took Prilosec every day along with countless tums. Since he's changed his eating habits to 4 reasonable meals per day, laid off the junk food (he's a recent diabetic) and lost 20 lbs, the reflux has entirely gone away. Now, I know that reflux can be caused by many different reasons, but I'm guessing many people could benefit with simple diet changes.