breastfeeding

hello
just joined and was wondering how this site works with a breastfeeding mom??? Anyone like me out there?

Replies

• DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    In the food database, enter breastfeeding. There are several options, such as exclusive, and differing ages of the child. That will give you a negative calorie count to account for the calories you need to make breast milk. Whatever you do, please don't set your calorie goal at 1200 then expect to make breast milk. Fill yourself up with good nutritional food.
  • thank you i will check it out. i am really uncomfortable with my weight and anxious to get it off but do not want to effect milk production.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    I'm nursing but I don't deduct them, just consider it bonus deficit
  • dr_tina
    dr_tina Posts: 225 Member
    I found that when I was breastfeeding that I could eat a lot more calories and still lose weight, about 400-500 more than typical. However, when you need to be careful is when you stop. That was the time when I really put the weight on and spiraled downward because I was not expecting my metabolism to slow down that much.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Agree. Give your body time to adjust and the weight comes off pretty quickly. But when you quit breastfeeding, you might miss being able to eat all you want!
  • KCherry
    KCherry Posts: 61 Member
    You need an additional 500 calories for your nursing per infant.
  • NellyRabbit
    NellyRabbit Posts: 11 Member
    BF is added in your food diary. Some people add a new meal for just BF. You search for Breastfeeding as a food and it will come up with a couple different options for you to select depending on the age of your child and how much you are nursing. If you have an idea of how much milk your baby takes in for the day, figure about 20 calories per ounce and find the best fit for you. My little lady is 16 months old and still nursing a couple times a day or so at about 12-14 ounces for the day so mine is for an older child and is 250 calories.
  • amen to that - as soon as my little guy started solids/formula, I began to pack it on - even though I still night-nursed.
  • can i edit my prfile to add extra cals in or when i get to 0 keep eating another 500?
  • this site does work with breastfeeding. just talk to you local lactationist before going on a diet. i did diet while breastfeeding, and all my doctors said that it was fine, and that i only needed 400 extra calories, mainly in the for of protien, such as peanutbutter. i would talk to your doc and add whatever calories they say you need to what ever this site says. good luck! and congrats on you baby and breastfeeding!

dannielle
  • Virginia90
    Virginia90 Posts: 317 Member
    I add mine as a "drink", and it adds negative calories - search it just like you search any other food. My daughter is almost a year old, but nursing fairly minimally - she eats a lot of solid foods now, so I subtracts 200 calories for it. I've been doing this 6 days now, and eating back the breastfeeding and exercise calories (for the most part) and my supply has been fine. =)