Vent: When your spouse sabotages your best efforts

Options
I have made a renewed effort - it being January ;) and me being my all-time heaviest :( - to lose weight, and am having a problem I always have when I try this... My darling husband keeps bringing home all the things neither one of us should be eating, but definitely not me, even though I really really want to and am hungry even after all my calories have been used up for the day.

I don't think he's doing it on purpose. He's overweight too, although not nearly as much as me, which is annoying, because he's always eaten way worse than I have and done less exercise. He's lamented the fact that he's gained weight, but doesn't seem able or inclined to actually curtail or amend his eating habits at all. And he doesn't seem to understand when I complain how his bringing this stuff home for himself affects me. I don't have to eat it after all...

No, I can 'just' exert willpower and not eat it, but we live in a one-room apartment, it's dark and cold outside, and I have no choice but to sit there watching him eat/drink it, when my stomach's growling and I'm resenting being alive and all I want is a glass of wine or a beer, like he's having. I mean, especially at the beginning, when I'm desperately trying to break bad habits, it would just be so much easier without temptation staring me in the face.

Does anyone have a spouse/partner/roommate like this, unwilling to compromise on their own desires, even to support you? Normally he's not this inconsiderate, but he just doesn't seem to get how hard it is for me. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I can relate. My Boyfriend brought home a chocolate cake the other day and the cake won. I had a piece and felt SO guilty. The cake has been looking at me all week... but I haven't given into temptation again. I got SO sick of it being there and having a battle with the cake everyday to not eat more, so I lifted the lid and sprayed it with Clorox bleach right in front of my boyfriend. Let me tell you... it felt great! Hang in there! Get you some sweet snacks that are a better option... or try and save up some calories to allow yourself a beer. You've got this!
  • Reesa32
    Reesa32 Posts: 35
    Options
    My husband just made me go to krispy kreme so he and my daughter could get donuts, and he thought just sitting in the back seat would help me not want any, I didn't give in so I guess what I want is more important that what he needs....
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have made a renewed effort - it being January ;) and me being my all-time heaviest :( - to lose weight, and am having a problem I always have when I try this... My darling husband keeps bringing home all the things neither one of us should be eating, but definitely not me, even though I really really want to and am hungry even after all my calories have been used up for the day.

I don't think he's doing it on purpose. He's overweight too, although not nearly as much as me, which is annoying, because he's always eaten way worse than I have and done less exercise. He's lamented the fact that he's gained weight, but doesn't seem able or inclined to actually curtail or amend his eating habits at all. And he doesn't seem to understand when I complain how his bringing this stuff home for himself affects me. I don't have to eat it after all...

No, I can 'just' exert willpower and not eat it, but we live in a one-room apartment, it's dark and cold outside, and I have no choice but to sit there watching him eat/drink it, when my stomach's growling and I'm resenting being alive and all I want is a glass of wine or a beer, like he's having. I mean, especially at the beginning, when I'm desperately trying to break bad habits, it would just be so much easier without temptation staring me in the face.

Does anyone have a spouse/partner/roommate like this, unwilling to compromise on their own desires, even to support you? Normally he's not this inconsiderate, but he just doesn't seem to get how hard it is for me. Any suggestions?

I have asked my partner if he could keep things he wants to eat but I don't hidden away so that I am not aware of them. I'd prefer if he didn't eat them in front of me. I find it hard to exert will power as well. I can do it, I'd just prefer not to be reminded of these things.
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    This is about you taking control, not them.

If YOU want to lose weight, you'll have to find it within yourself to keep that willpower. In a perfect world, everyone around you would change too, and understand how you feel - but the world is not perfect.

If you are both overweight and have shared eating habits in the past, he's not just going to miraculously change because you wish he would... especially if he's really not "into" losing weight for himself. It's not really sabotage, in his mind it's love... he loves you, he loves food, you've always loved food up until this point too and he probably doesn't quite "get" what your wanting to lose weight actually means to you at this point. And obvious as it seems that it's a bad idea right now, his bringing home fattening food to share is his way of showing he cares and was thinking about you (although, the old you perhaps) He probably isn't making the connection that it's a bad idea yet.

Your weight loss journey is not just a change in your body shape, it's going to be a change in how you socialize and relate to people, how you deal with food situations, how you change your food buying and cooking habits - this affects anyone who is close enough to you to share in your day to day life (and they may not adjust to those changes so well for awhile.... )

A person who lose weight changes in many ways, even though that's not really their intentions. The people around you may feel threatened by it, worried you won't want them in your life anymore, feel like they don't understand you, feel like you're going to expect THEM to change too (or judge them harshly if they don't) They may worry you are becoming an exercise addict, or anorexic, sick - etc. They may want you to be healthy and happy, but may not understand the process. They may also just think it's a phase.

Be strong for yourself, be strong for them too! It's gonna be a bumpy ride, but you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • TimeToDoMe87
    Options
    i understand 100% kick them where it hurts ;)
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    This seems like a very unfortunate situation and I agree with the previous post. You do have to take control and explain to your husband how it makes you feel. It should be important for you to find common ground on subjects such as health. You may not be able to change him but your commitment may inspire him to want to take on a healthy lifestyle. My fiance recently has become more interested in his health (about a year ago, his father had a heart attack). Of course there are moments when he pushes me to get a beer with him at the bar. Sometimes it is okay to splurge and maybe those moments should be shared with your husband. My fiance and I are huge food people and make it part of our relationship to enjoy amazing food moments with eachother, whether it be at a new restaurant or just cooking up an amazing meal. Try to push him to push to be a more healthy role model.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you're really so hungry that your stomach is growling and you feel starved, maybe you need to eat more food. Maybe try bumping it up an extra hundred or two. I don't know if you exercise, but if you do you should eat those calories back. If you aren't starving it may be a bit easier to resist those foods your husband is bringing home or you may even be able to have them and be satisfied with a smaller portion.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Had the same problem. Still to some extent. If you stick with it and he sees your success he may decide it is worth cutting down. The problem for me is that as a male he gets more calories to begin with and "can afford" to eat more of those snacks and still be under calories. You have to be the good example and either choose to do it in moderation or choose to abstain. I choose to abstain. At almost 50 I don't have time to mess around with this any more. I want to feel better now and all that crap isn't helping. Also if you can't do moderation then cold turkey is best because the withdrawal doesn't last as long. Review your reasons for wanting to change your life style and then go into another room while he indulges. Then feel very good about your resolve!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I think....if my husband was an alcoholic and needed to avoid alcohol, it would be highly inconsiderate and disrespectful of me to bring home bottles of wine to drink in front of him or to drag him to a bar with me so I could drink. And I think the same is true of food. Chocolate cake or donuts are simply not necessary and could be avoided out of respect for one's partner's struggles.

And if my partner refused, he and I would have a very serious "discussion" on respect and consideration and being supportive. :explode:
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I think....if my husband was an alcoholic and needed to avoid alcohol, it would be highly inconsiderate and disrespectful of me to bring home bottles of wine to drink in front of him or to drag him to a bar with me so I could drink. And I think the same is true of food. Chocolate cake or donuts are simply not necessary and could be avoided out of respect for one's partner's struggles.

And if my partner refused, he and I would have a very serious "discussion" on respect and consideration and being supportive. :explode:

I am in the same boat here:noway: and I know that she is right! Its an addiction just as alcohol is! I have a husband that is a tooth pick that both eats and drinks what he wants all the time never gains a pound has never been over weight in his life hell he's never been in normal status tell now!!! I think I should take her advice as well maybe I just need to have a heart to heart talk!!! :grumble: I so feel you and I want to have the same respect here at my house! I really feel your pain and may we both find a happy medium! :frown:
  • sunderwood40
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I've gone through this with my husband. He used to bring me bags of gummy bears (my favorite). It's like waiving a pack of cigarettes in front of a person who's trying to stop smoking. The cravings are there. The overwhelming desire to just say "screw it" and take what you want just to get the anxiety to go away. You know it's bad for you, and you shouldn't but you can't help it. The only difference is you can't quit food. You can't stay away from people eating. You can't not buy food. You have to eat to survive.

Here are a few things that are working for us.
    We plan out meals for the week. Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and snacks. We shop for the week and get only whats on the list. I ask for his input. If I make a recipe and he doesn't like it, then I don't make it again. I can't expect him to continue to eat things he's tried and doesn't like . That's where battles begin. I do expect him to at least try things. He's already found that grilled pork chops with baked sweat potatoes(no butter, sugar, or salt added) and a side of steamed broccoli is pretty tasty. I'm not trying to eliminate his meat and potato macho manliness, just tweak it a little. He still gets to eat meat and not salads everyday.

I try to keep a variety of fruit in the fridge at all times. When we watch tv together we grab a bowl of grapes to snack on. Twice a week we drink smoothies for breakfast. He enjoys concocting experiments in the blender. At first he was not keen on the idea of smoothies. I got the side ways one eyebrow up look. I got him hooked with this one. 1cup Frozen strawberries,1/2cup fat free vanilla yogurt, and 1/2 cup orange juice (187 Calories). Now he picks out the fruit he wants for the week and goes to town. Sometimes he adds protein powder after the gym. He gets excited to have me taste a new flavor. Gummy bears are now replaced with smoothies.

He feels macho when he cooks on the grill. At least once a week we cook out. He grills me a turkey burger, and a beef patty for himself. He gets his beef and I get to stay on my diet.

Also when we plan meals for the week I show him pictures of what I'm going to cook. A delicious looking plate of food gets him craving healthy food instead of greasy fast food and bags of chips.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Um, yes. :grumble:
    My boss. We go out to eat a lot. And for her it's not sabotage as much as it is she's always been thin and has never had weight issues. When I eat as much as I need, she wants me to "eat a little more" <- she says this! She knows what I'm trying to do! GAH! And she nags me if I don't eat enough for her definition of what qualifies a meal.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

That is exactly right. I never expected my partner to eat healthily because I eat healthily. If he wants to eat junk food, he is more than welcome to. But in saying that, I only ask that he show me respect by not doing it in front of me, or bringing it for me, or keeping it plain sight. If I want some, I will say so. It isn't really much to ask, I wouldn't think.
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My husband brought me home a pop tonight...when I decided I was going to give it up again. I've only drank 1/2 the bottle, but am going to dump out the rest.

ETA: He's not really trying to sabotage me, he just knew there was no pop in the house, was getting some for himself, and thought he would be nice and get one for me. He knows I'm trying very hard, and does encourage me.
  • danacic
    Options
    i think we must have the same husband. And.................he needs to lose a lot more than i do. tonight i decided we were having fish. i was going to sautee it in some lemon juice and spices. Next i know he has poured oil into a non-stick pan, added butter and proceeded to bread the fillets with crushed crackers. Hello????? We are eating fish not because i love it but because it's the healthyt thing to do. I pulled my portion out before he got a hold of it and sauteed it like i planned. Someone else said it - it's about taking control of yourself. It's hard. I know! Good luck.
  • dswood
    dswood Posts: 12
    Options
    In my husband's home growing up, food equals love. His mom still shows her affection by food......not good for my kids- both are overweight at this point. My hubby will bring things home all of the time- can't say no if the kids want sweets. The hard thing is that I have asked him to quit bringing it in the house countless times, but it is his way of showing love. He supports my weight loss efforts and complements me, but just doesn't get the connection. When I say no thanks to the extra food- he is actually hurt.
    I have been fighting this battle for years. I say "thanks" and put the food away for when I have the calories, I give things to the neighbors so that they don't sit around the house and tempt me, and I portion out the sweets he brings home for the kids, so that they last a few days instead of one meal.
    You won't change him, but you can be proactive. Good luck to you!
  • FantasticChelsea
    Options
    Mine was the same way. I kept telling him, "I have got to lose weight. I have got to stop eating this." He wouldn't listen and I would come home to him cooking some fried pork chops and gravy.

We don't make a whole lot of money so we buy what we need, when we need it. We go shopping for dinner everyday. So, when I've been working the late shift at my job and I come home at midnight and that's all there is to eat, I'm pretty much screwed.

Although, what got him to FINALLY listen were a few food documentaries(King Corn and Fork Over Knives). Plus, he hit 30 and HIS waistline started to expand. He told me one day, "We should diet. I can't fit into my favorite shorts anymore..." *eyeroll*
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Honestly, while it would be great to have ones significant others backing them 100%, this is our journey and not theirs. We can only hold ourselves accountable. I refuse to force my beliefs on another person, just like I would hope another person wouldn't do to me. Now, I am not saying don't talk to him about it because it may not have clicked for him and a conversation could change things for the better.

My boyfriend has been wonderful, but he is still going to eat pizza and drink cokes and it is NOT my place to say he can not. Yes, he gets to eat what I make for dinner, but that's because we only will cook one meal for both of us. I have to be in control of myself and not control him.
  • ChrisStoney
    ChrisStoney Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    want some cheese with that?
  • heather7131
    Options
    Same here! I've told my husband to stop bringing home junk food and making better choices when he does the grocery shopping but that never happens. He will still bring frosties and French fries home. It's after 11 pm and he's just getting off work and asked me to meet him to go eat! I said no but that is something we struggle with all the time!
    I just keep telling him that when he buys all that crap that I'm not going to be able to slim down! And I ask him again to not bring that stuff home.
    While we've been out, he'll ask to go to baskin Robbins or something like that and I just politely say u can go but I'm don't want any which usually ends up with him not going and pouting but idc bc that's just less calories for the both of us!