Can I do a Jillian Michaels workout?

Options
I need some feedback please. I am 219 lbs, 5'10" and still have about 50 lbs to lose. I have not exercised much for the past 6 years, until 2 months ago, using the elliptical machine.

As I am looking for other options, I see LOTS of comments about the 30DS and other Jillian videos. Are these only for 'athletes'? Can someone of my size and flabbiness actually do these? If y'all think it would work for me, I'll try it out.

Thanks!

Replies

• crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Me too.. Same weight, "5 shorter..
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on another thread...

First time I did 30DS I was about 200 lbs and lost 14.5 pounds in a month (and 8.75 inches!) It was tough but so worth it. I did 10 days each level. No breaks, no extra exercise, no freaky diet.

I just put it in my dvd rotation again this week. Now I am 150 lbs. It seems so easy! Yes, i got a good sweat going, but nothing compared to last July @ 200 lbs!.

This is my favorite DVD besides (Jillian Michaels banish Fat Boost Metabolism). Just got P90X, but not in "love" with it yet.

Stick with it! Good luck!
  • sew1222
    sew1222 Posts: 241
    Options
    no im far from fit and i am doing the 30DS. anyone can do them!!! so give it a try i use the modified girl! (cant remember her name)
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Oh and I am 5' 4" of awesomeness!!!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    anyone can do them but they will kick your butt. i recommend watching them first to get an idea of what you will be doing and then like Nike says "Just Do It" I am by no means an athlete i love the elliptical and treadmill but i let her kick my but and curse the whole way through
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    yes!! I'm sure you can!! Jillian Michaels does the Biggest Loser stuff, even during the video 30DS (which I have and use often) she says people 400lbs can do this stuff. Also, she provides 'easier' versions of the activities so you can ease your way into the more intense versions.

Very worth it, when i did it every day, I started seeing my ab muscles more defined! And its only like 10-15 bucks at walmart. All you need is the video, a soft yoga mat (or carpet) and some 5lb hand weights!
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I did the 30DS today. Its broke down into 3- twenty minute segments. You can do it, they have modifications for beginners. Its a pretty good workout :)
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    30 DS is as easy as you make it and as hard as you make it. You can take breaks and do the modified version if you aren't fit yet.

I personally started off taking 2 breaks, at the end of the first 2 circuits. I still don't use weights when I do the workout, its one of my favorites.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and was 185 when I did my first level of 30 day shred. It was the first workout I have ever done my entire life. So you do not need to be an athlete
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can do ti. You will love 30 Day Shred. The first 5 days will be challenging but you will feel a difference in your endurance by Day 7. I have done 2 rounds of the 30 Day Shred and lost inches - 2 inches from hips, 1/2 from bust, 1 inch from stomach, 2 inches from arms. I did not loose any weight but overall feel better (i.e. postuer, etc) and can endure more intensity when working out on the treadmill or lifting weights. Level 1 and Level 3 are the best. Level 2 involves a lot of planks which was really hard on my back. Jillian from the 30 Day Shred DVD quotes the following "I got people weighing 400 lbs who can do jumping jacks, so you too can do them."

You can do this.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you can do them. i do a lot of them. might have to modfiy moves but that's why her workouts are so good, if you fail, that's okay you can only keep getting better and better. and improvements happen every single time, enjoy
  • brittneyceleste
    brittneyceleste Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just barely got the 30DS (it was on sale for xmas) and I am way impressed with it. I have only done the workout once. It kicked my butt in a good way. I was really sore and couldnt walk down stairs for two days.

It will kick your butt, but its really easy, especially for beginners. I like how she switches up the excercises every thirty seconds. It makes it easier to actually finish the video instead of giving up.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. And when you hit your limits on jumping jacks, just continue to move . It will get better!
  • Queenbee412
    Options
    You can do it! My favorite is Ripped In 30.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You can do it. 30 day shred is probably a good place to start, some of her other dvds are a LOT more intense. I was a super-beginner when I started 30 DS, hadn't picked up any kind of weights in YEARS. It was hard, but after a few days I could feel I was getting stronger and better at the exercises! Plus it got me awesome results - lots of inches off of various points on my body. You can do it. If I can do it, probably just about anybody can. LOL She does a lot of squats and lunges, just be sure to watch your form on those and don't go TOO far down your first couple of times while you're figuring out what your body can handle. She also does a lot of jumping movements - just be aware so if you have any issues with your knees, it's okay to modify things here and there as long as you are still moving and working.
  • AngieELS
    Options
    It will be challenging but you can do it! As others have said, follow the modified movements. It is a great workout! You will get better and better at it every day. Good luck.
  • emstgm
    emstgm Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Thanks everyone. Based on your feedback, I decided to check them out on Amazon, and they're only $6.99 - $7.99. I'm buying three. :bigsmile: Yikes!
  • nmholloway20
    nmholloway20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    no im far from fit and i am doing the 30DS. anyone can do them!!! so give it a try i use the modified girl! (cant remember her name)

Anita!! Just finished working out, lol. Otherwise I probably wouldn't remember either.

I first did one of the 30DS workouts when I was in the 220s still. I mistakenly did level 2 or 3...not sure which...because I got it On Demand. I thought I was going to DIE! I only did it one time, then was like forget that shizz! But I just bought it, and now I love it. Still challenging, but rewarding. Give it a shot!
  • healthyyme
    healthyyme Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You can do them! Just do as many reps as you can each set, you'll gradually improve. :)
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. I am 380 lbs and started 30DS last week and am moving up to level 2 tomorrow. Also today did Banish fat and boos metabolism for 30 mins. today. If I can do it you can!! I had to work my way up but it is almost addicting! I got mine from Amazon also.