So, I'm confused ... ladies help me out here!

Options
I found a site that tells me how many calories I should take in, I'm 223 - 28 yrs old and 5'5, it tells me to stick to 1700 cals to lose weight and that, in order for me not to hit a plateu, I should trick my body by eating 1900 cals 2 days out of the week. I began dieting the 2nd of this month, geez ... it sounds like a long time but it's only been 4 days! lol ... Any who - I began the 1200 cal diet cause I am desperate to lose as much weight as I can before February (going to go see the Red Hot Chili Peppers w hubby! :) yey!) - but I dont' want to hit a plateu - should I ignore that site and continue my 1200 calories or should I up my calorie intake and trick my body 2 days out of the week so I can keep losing weight for awhile? Anybody with experience? Please?

Thanks,

Replies

• soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I found a site that tells me how many calories I should take in, I'm 223 - 28 yrs old and 5'5, it tells me to stick to 1700 cals to lose weight and that, in order for me not to hit a plateu, I should trick my body by eating 1900 cals 2 days out of the week. I began dieting the 2nd of this month, geez ... it sounds like a long time but it's only been 4 days! lol ... Any who - I began the 1200 cal diet cause I am desperate to lose as much weight as I can before February (going to go see the Red Hot Chili Peppers w hubby! :) yey!) - but I dont' want to hit a plateu - should I ignore that site and continue my 1200 calories or should I up my calorie intake and trick my body 2 days out of the week so I can keep losing weight for awhile? Anybody with experience? Please?

Thanks,

i dont really understand the "tricking" your body part

According to MFP your BMR is 1742, which is the amount of calories your body needs basically just to stay alive.....if you actually get out of bed and do anything, you will burn more calories than this. so if you eat 1700 and dont do anything else you'll still have a defecit that day.

However, I personally would cut it a little more. You dont necessarily have to go down to 1200, but maybe 1400 or 1500 would be good. Again, dont really know much about the whole tricking your body part of what you are talking about
  • morrowsarah
    morrowsarah Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    You're basically talking about zig zagging your calories. I've thought about trying that but haven't yet. I upped my calories today from 1200 to 1620. I just never felt full at 1200. I exercise 5-7 days a week. Google zig zag calories and read about it. It basically doesn't let your body get used to the same calorie intake every single day so it keeps your metabolism going at a higher rate! Hope that helped.
  • Kdubuclet
    Kdubuclet Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Be careful about the calorie intake. Too little will trigger starvation mode, which can promote weight gain. In my honest opinion I would seek out a nutritionist and find out what your body mass is and what your Resting Metabolism Rate is and have them guide you on the proper amount of calories you should intake.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    Upping your calories to 1500-1600 would be a safe bet and taking two days to eat slightly more would be a good idea, but eating maintenance would be better (the exact calories you need without a deficit) for two days would work better on your metabolism. Eating eucaloric(maintenance) would prevent your metabolism from slowing down; which may happen with a 1200 calorie diet, seeing as it's significantly less than what you need.

You'll lose more if you eat around 1500-1600 cals a day. 1200 cals is close to starvation and you don't want your metabolic rate to go down. Try 1500-1600 cals a day and drink all your water, you'll probably be very successful with that.

Good luck.