Exercise before Sleep

Options
Just wondered what opinions are on working out at night/just before bed. My partner works shifts which sometimes means the only time she could work out would be just before bed time. Is this a big deal? Is it a bad thing? Surely better then than never at all right?

Also, I sometimes suffer from insomnia. Would it be an awful thing during those times when I can't sleep to get up and do a DVD? Just curious on opinions, but prefer if anyone has any facts about it all.

Replies

• TiffaniUT
    Options
    I've always heard it's bad to exercise before bed. Of course, that's coming from the person who just DID exercise before bed. I don't know much research info on the topic, but I've always heard it can cause insomnia and somehow mess up your metabolism or something. I've also heard the best time of the day is the morning before you have eaten breakfast.
  • reneeileen
    reneeileen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that the best time to work out is the time that you will do it. I find that I have a hard time getting to sleep within 2-3 hours of working out so I try to avoid it too close to bed. It doesn't mean that I don't sometimes squeeze in a 9:00PM work out.

Speaking for myself, I sleep better after a work out but I need a few hours to wind down after I finish a work out.
  • nwhitley
    nwhitley Posts: 619
    Options
    I can't exercise right before I go to bed b/c it will energize me and I won't be able to go to sleep. I need at least 3 hours between working out and going to sleep. But, whatever works for you.
  • heather7131
    Options
    I found exercising, taking a shower and the going to bed actually helped me sleep better. But I would say whenever you want/are able to exercise...do it!
  • soleilzameen
    Options
    On some report I saw that the most ideal time to work out is right BEFORE dinner, like 5pm or whatever. Right after dinner wouldn't be ideal as you haven't really digested, but I've worked out before bed and I had no problem cooling down and going to bed about an hour afterward....
  • MDVOID
    MDVOID Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A good thing about exercise is that it gives you a boost for the rest of the day so I think it would be good to do it at the beginning of the day. Sadly we can't always find a perfect time to workout so we do it wen we can.

Personally when I'm suffering of insomnia I do my workout routine, take a shower and sleep like a baby a few minutes later. I would also like to read more opinions on the topic.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I would love to do that- I always did in college and it worked great. I suffer from chronic insomnia- but if I workout right before bed, I'm out like a light. I'm also a night owl and have the most energy at night- I find I can do a lot more in my workout. Unforunately, now that I'm graduated and living/working on my own, my gym is 15 minutes away (right next to my work) and closes at 9. I go right after work. I don't like it because I'm so tired/hungry then, but it's what I have to do.
  • Carlamere84
    Options
    I ALWAYS exercise before bed. First it vamps me up, but then after I get my shower I calm down and fall right to sleep. I think it depends on each individual person. I've heard that exercising in the morning is best, however, I don't agree with that. I don't know how people can get right out of bed and start doing lots of exercise LOL, not for me. I'll stick to night exercise!
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with it. I used to do it all the time.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I sleep better when I do even minimal exercise before bed... but you have to find the time that works best for you.... as my trainer tells me, it doesn't matter when you eat or exercise as long as your NET for the day is what you need it to be... case in point I have to eat within an hour from bed or I wake up shaking so bad from hunger which is not healthy... and obviously I am doing something right for me and my body because 72 pounds is gone in less than a year... whatever you decide, decide for YOU and YOUR health, otherwise you are doing it all for the wrong reasons.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Funny, I just posted this in a thread about eating before bed:

Listen to YOUR body. If you eat literally IN YOUR BED before you go to sleep and don't have heartburn, don't have nightmares, don't suffer from insomnia or bleed from your ears onto your pillow, then eating in bed is probably OK for you.

SOME people get heartburn. SOME people don't sleep well, or don't feel well the next day or whatever. THOSE people shouldn't eat before bed.

Personally, I find I'm MUCH hungrier at lunch if I eat breakfast. For me, I'm better off with a vitamin, some fiber and perhaps a few berries, yet all the "textbooks" tell me I'm doing it wrong. Not everyone is the "average person".

Same theory applies here.

I often do two workouts a day - one about 30 minutes after I wake up and the other one finishes about 30 minutes before I go to sleep.

I sleep like the dead.

Actually, dead people are jealous of how well I sleep.
  • wendy7777
    Options
    I'm a night person especially on the weekends. I find night time is the best to do yoga and pilates or just stretches. Hardcore workouts have to be done earlier in the evening. I'm not a morning person so early morning workouts are not for me.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. You don't know if it works or not unless you try it. Late exercise apparently hinders sleep for some, but, personally, it doesn't keep me awake. Don't be afraid to experiment!
  • jjteddy1982
    Options
    before i got to bed its the only chance during the day that i have to workout, due i work most of the day and with 3 kids my house its literallly a war zone, to be honst with you sometimes i get a bit anciety dureing the night and as someone posted vefore I asume that becuase when you workout your body activates big time, but and also as someone posted before "IT'S BETTER THAN DONT WORKOUT AT ALL"
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I exercise 99% of the time at night, sometimes as late as 9, 10, 11pm. it depends on what works for you. it helps me have energy in the morning, and it's just the most convenient. i've had great success so far! Good luck :)
  • mauigyrl
    mauigyrl Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I exercise whenever I can fit it in. I find that I do my workouts at night. I joke that I am nocturnal and I typically sleep around 2-3 am. For the most part when I do evenings I usually do it anywhere from 7-11 at night for an hour or 2 on my elliptical. Anytime is a good time in my book as long as you do it. If I do dvd workouts I tend to do it morning and afternoons though when my husband is at work because I feel bad hogging his tv in the family room where I do all my exercise.