The Olivia Style? Confusing?

Options
I set my goals to the Olivia Style set up where you set what you burn as your goal to see your deficet but it's dissapointing to see a 134 calorie deficet honestly. I set it as 1790 because MPF says I burn that daily, it is set as sedentary. My BMR is 1451. Could I really be burning that much?

For people who have used the Olivia style, how much under your "goal" to try and eat? because 134 calorie under and no excercise isn't great but everytime I set a goal like 1500 or something I get depressed and eat over it. Advice?

Thanks for your time. :)

Replies

• futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm using that method. I usually try to have at least a 500 calorie deficit, but sometimes it's more. It's a bit less some days, too. I know what you mean about seeing it go low - I hate that, too. You have to remember that as long as you're eating at any kind of deficit, you will lose weight. I'm set at lightly active but I kind of question whether or not that's the right setting for me.. seems to be working ok, I guess. I do go to the gym because I feel good when I see a big deficit.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Thanks actually that helps but have you lost any weight? I just wonder if MFP sets our levels to high.
  • futiledevices
    Options
    Yeah, I've lost 12 pounds. It's taken me a few months, though, because my starting weight was 150.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Oh wow, I had 1,634 whopping calories today, no excercise. lol. I had about 200 grams of sugar though, that's the bad part.
  • futiledevices
    Options
    I don't count sugar at all. I'm pretty much exclusively looking at calories and sodium. I don't want to complicate it. I want to be realistic and eat the foods I will always eat - whether I'm trying to lose weight or not. Hopefully you'll find what works for you. As long as you don't go over your maintenance, at least you won't gain any weight.
  • Mandys_Getting_Fit
    Mandys_Getting_Fit Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    MFP actually calculates my BMR and maintenance calories LOWER than the trainer of a bootcamp class I attend. And she takes my lean body mass & body fat % into consideration. I try to eat close to what MFP says is maintenance and then use my exercise to create a deficit between 1/2 pound and 1 pound per week.

Oh and I love the Olivia method because it gives me more wiggle room. I can have days where I eat more and not feel like a failure for having a big red glaring number in my face.
  • Jadesfattorment
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks, :)
  • cherbapp
    cherbapp Posts: 322
    Options
    I got a bodybugg and found out that I am burning less than MFP says I do on non-exercise days. That explains why my weight loss has been 1 pound a week instead of the 2 pound a week goal I have.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I just started the 'Olivia Style' method a few weeks ago. I did it because I am analyzing the accuracy of the MFP calorie assignment for me, manually this month. I suspect MFP is too generous, and I may need to tweak my numbers to lose at the rate I would like (or simply get realistic).

My goal is to consistently have a deficit of at least 500 calories (theoretically a loss of 1 lb/wk). My ideal deficit is 750 calories a day (theoretically a loss of 1.5 lb/wk) though I don't always succeed in doing this.

At the moment, I do not log cardio exercise because I don't want to factor my exercise calories into my daily totals on MFP. I do track them manually.
  • swillis21
    swillis21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Oh and I love the Olivia method because it gives me more wiggle room. I can have days where I eat more and not feel like a failure for having a big red glaring number in my face.
    [/quote]

^This! lol, and it's actually good to vary your diet. I was always trying to stay under and therefor not even eating my MBR some days :/ Going to try it this way for a bit :)