Question about BMR and calorie deficit

Options
Hi everyone, so I searched on the forums but I'm not sure if I'm eating too little or not. My BMR (According to MFP) is 1,464 and my maintenance is 1,830. From what I read here I'm not supposed to eat under my BMR, but if I want to lose 1lb / per week I should aim for a 500 cal deficit right? So If I do the math 1,830 - 500 = 1330. That's under my BMR so I'm not sure if I should eat that or not. Right now I'm at 1300 cal per day but since 1 week or so I'm finding really hard to keep that because I'm kinda hungry so I end up eating 1400 or so. I've been thinking in increasing my protein intake since I've heard it keeps you full longer. Any advice would be nice :)

Here are some of my stats if you need them:
Weight: 67 kg / 148 lbs
Height: 1.68 cm / 66 in (5'6''?)
Activity Level: Sedentary (If I don't count exercise)

Thank you :D

PS: Sorry if my english is weird, it's not my first language e_e

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Your deficit should be created from your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and NOT from your BMR.

For example, my BMR is 1338 and my TDEE is 2449. I should create my deficit off the 2449 and NOT off the 1338. Also, depending on how close you are to your goal weight - you may want to consider a 250 calorie deficit vs a 500 calorie deficit.
  • nanatsuiro
    nanatsuiro Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I calculated the deficit from my "Calories burned from normal activity"(according to MFP) not from my BMR... also I have 9 kg to lose (20 lbs) I hope that helps :)