What gym to you go to?

Options
And how much does it cost?

I'm looking into gyms in Adelaide, South Australia, but gyms around here are so EXPENSIVE! I'm wondering if this is atypical, or fairly usual.

The gyms I have been looking into are around $22/week for a non-contract membership (I really don't want to be stuck in a 12-month contract, because if my hours at work go down, I won't be able to afford it).

Replies

• jquick823
    Options
    The gym i went to cost $45 per month and it was a 2 year contract. It was also 24hrs so it was nice to have that flexibility. At $22 a week or $100 a month I'm thinking you could do pushups, situps and run at home until you saved enough to get a few weights. Seems a little high to me.
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    The gym i went to cost $45 per month and it was a 2 year contract. It was also 24hrs so it was nice to have that flexibility. At $22 a week or $100 a month I'm thinking you could do pushups, situps and run at home until you saved enough to get a few weights. Seems a little high to me.

They also have an option for $17 a week, but that's on a 12 month contract. They have some really good classes, and I went there on a 7-day free trial and really enjoyed it, the staff were all nice. I'm just worried about being able to afford it if my hours drop; then again, $17 is only like an hour's pay.

I really want a gym with classes -- I can't really do pushups (bad shoulders), and running at home is almost out of the question at the moment as the weather is reaching 40 degrees Celsius (over 100 degrees Fahrenehit) almost every day.

I do have two little dumbbell type weights -- I have 2x1.25kg discs, and 2x2.5kg (but I can barely lift them :blushing: )
  • gabadabadoo
    Options
    I go to a YMCA gym in Melbourne, which generally costs around $65 per month (no fixed term contract) - I've been to a few in Melbourne and they seem to be around the $60 mark.
  • anasf139
    anasf139 Posts: 101
    Options
    Um, I'm not surre how it works where you are but in the UK hotels often have smaller gyms inside them and membership to these is often substantially cheaper than chain or independent gyms. Depending on what you're loking for this may be an option. Hope that helps a bit.