Thinning hair

Options
I have always had really thick hair. It seems to be getting really thin and fine since dieting. Any suggestions? :smile:

Replies

• rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    it may be that you're not getting the proper nutrients in for sleek, shiny hair? Proteins like nuts and eggs are supposed to be good for your hair. And I eat lots of eggs... and my hair is as thick and shiny as ever, hah.
  • paf57
    paf57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vitamin b12 (I think?) is supposed to be really good for your hair and nails. My hair is thinning, too, but I think it's more related to stress and age (I am 54 and menopausal!). You can buy a vitamin B complex that is just for hair and nails. I've been taking it for awhile and I do think that it's working.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i have that same problem but wasnt due to dieting.. i make sure i have the proper fats in my diet .. alot of times my diet is very low fat but i take flax seed oil pills every day to assure i get my omega 3s. i also take sublingual vitamin b complex . i used to take biotin but my hair seems to be back in tack with my new diet and vitamin regime approach.
  • laceyxlockdown
    laceyxlockdown Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    signs of lack of nutrion and certain kinds hun. you eating enough? oh do you use the tanning bed>> lol random i know but tanning beds makes your hair fall out :O
  • jarswalk
    Options
    I had the same problem several years ago due to a "fad" diet. I lost the weight, but was not getting the vitamins and protein my body needed. I went to several doctors as a result of the hair loss and other problems that "fad" diet was causing. My doctors told me Biotin 5000 vitamin supplement and plenty of protein. Good luck
  • sw33tn3ss07
    Options
    i use a vitamin called biotin forte 5! It makes your hair grow thick, and even your nails!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice already. Talk to your doctor as they can draw the appropriate vitamin levels for you and look at what you've been eating. Make sure you're taking in enough calories on a regular basis or that will have a negative impact also.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    3F3B13D4-orig.jpg

Protein-rich nutrition, with real salmon, to help build strong muscles and a thick, healthy coat
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I guess it could be due to age. I am 59, but I am going to try those vitamins for hair. Thank you everyone. :happy:
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    When I lost a lot of weight using a diet program that was very low calorie (not the 500 calorie and an injection type of diet), around the 50 pound loss mark I started losing a lot of hair as well. Looking back, I'm sure I was not eating the appropriate amount of healthy fats or protein for my needs... or calories for that matter...
  • SandyMilton
    Options
    3F3B13D4-orig.jpg

Protein-rich nutrition, with real salmon, to help build strong muscles and a thick, healthy coat

Ok this made me LOL -

I bet there are too many carbs in it :p
  • paf57
    paf57 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Correction, not B12... it's Biotin. It has helped me a little, I think. Good luck!
  • biddie1
    biddie1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get your thyroid checked
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Have your biotin and niacin levels checked; they're easy supplements to find in the shops. We lose the ability to absorb the B vitamins as we age, so its something most women need to be aware of.