Alcohol and Weight Loss

Options
I'm seriously confused on the affects of alcohol on losing weight. I've done a lot of research on the subject and get mixed emotions. Ok, yes, I know it is not healthy overall and is full of empty calories, but people make it sound like you will not be able to lose weight at all if you drink.

I tend to drink 3 nights a week. I only drink on nights that I had a really hard workout, that way I'm using the calories burned, making sure I still meet my nutritional goals for the day. And when I say I drink that usually means a 750ml bottle of red wine and 1 vodka and red bull. If I do go over my calories for the day I make sure I get in a really good workout the next day.

Also, does it make sense that if I go over my calories one day, that I can workout extra the next day to help make up for the overage?

Replies

• lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Personally, I still have a drink here and there and it has not hampered my weight loss. However, if I am going to have wine, I usually only limit it to a glass at night. A whole bottle can be close to 1000 calories depending on the wine. I will indulge about 2-3 times a month when I go out with friends and have a couple of beers, but it is only a few times a month. If you keep track of how much you have consumed and it fits into your day, then it is fine. Alcohol, like food, should be kept in moderation. It is empty calories, but there is no harm in having a drink here and there.

I think people worry about alcohol consumption because when people drink, they tend to let their defenses down and begin to eat a lot of food to go with the alcohol.
  • melli244
    melli244 Posts: 63
    Options
    Ive always heard that alcohol si fattening. I dont usually drink during the week but if a bbq comes up or whatever i will have a few jack and cokes or 3 or 4 beers and i dont usually see a difference in my weight loss. I think if you workout harder and have a few extra calories it kinda cancels the extra calories out, im not for sure but it makes sense to me :) I dont think a few drinks a week is bad when your trying to lose weight aslong as your still working out.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I won't deprive myself of a nice glass of wine. I always have a glass with dinner. You've just have to put it in with your meals. It is loaded (red...not white) with antioxidents and cancer fighting agents. Just burn off the calories you consume and it'll be okay. Just make sure to log it every time. I've got the RenFest coming up and I plan on having some mead...I just have log it and make sure I drink lots of water that day.
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    Alcohol can be part of a healthy diet. Studies have shown over and over again the benefits of a drink (or two if you are male) per day to our overall health. The trick is to not go overboard or drink your weekly allotment in one night, and to make sure that you have "room" in your diet for it.

And yes, if you go a little over one day, you can make up for part of it the next day. Your body does not close the books at midnight and start all over with just new calories. It's a constantly burning machine.
  • lovetobethin
    Options
    I also drink a few nights a week, but I don't mean a whole bottle of wine! Girl, you need to slow down! I could see having one or two glasses, but I'd stop after that. The reason I say this is because (and I'm no doctor on this topic) BUT... I'm pretty sure that alcohol inhibits your body's ability to metabolize foods because your body recognizes the alcohol present in the system and immediately begins metabolizing those compounds and completely forgets about that dinner you just ate, for hours!

And here's a little food for thought: When I was deployed to Iraq for 15 months, I obviously did not do any sort of drinking. It was absolutely crazy the amount of energy I had during my workouts and just how GOOD my body felt. I do attribute a lot of that to the lack of alcohol. I think the effects of alcohol do tend to linger in a person's system for days after they drink. You may not realize it, but your kidneys sure do! It takes a few days of drinking nice, healthy water to really flush those babies out and allow them to work their magic on cleansing your system and really helping you to feel good and be the best runner or stair master that you can be.

Geez, all this talk has got me now thinking of taking a break from the Kettle!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    So lets examine how the body metabolizes alcohol vs normal calories, and leave aside the things it does to you mentally and the effects reducing inhibitions can have on your eating habits.

Normally when you consume calories, they travel, mostly unaltered, to the stomach, where it is broken down into smaller pieces, some of the sugars are immediately absorbed into the blood, but most of it is transported to the liver, and intestines and colon where the food is further broken down and delivered to the places it needs to go (this is a largely simplified explanation but is essentially what happens). This process takes anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes for some food, to many hours for other foods.
    When we consume alcohol, the moment it hits your mouth, absorption begins, alcohol is absorbed all the way down the throat and in the stomach as well, entering the blood. So that is where the problems start. If you drink, then work out 2 hours later, you're already too late.

OK, so now we know the problem with trying to "work off those calories", but that can't be IT. It's not. The human body regards alcohol as a primary fuel source, supplanting other fuel in the order of which it is processed. So when you drink, a lot of the other partially digested or undigested food in your body is immediately put on the back burner (so to speak). And we know from the first section that there is usually a good amount of food still waiting to be processed. Since alcohol has a relatively high amount of calories per volume consumed, it takes over a lot of the energy needs in the body, which relegates the carbs in your body to the roll of fat storage. This is bad news, and can't be rationalized away by "I'm only having 2 or 3 drinks" or "I only drink 2 or 3 nights a week." Sorry guys, that's far to many drinks far to many times a week to be doing you any good.

Some say 1/2 a glass to 1 glass of wine a day with a meal is ok, and yeah, there are some good things in wine, like antioxidants and some vitamins and minerals, but not enough to justify drinking more then a glass 2 or 3 times a week, and NEVER enough to justify more then one glass (6oz) more then once every couple of weeks.
    Throw in what drinking 3 times a week does to your liver (very bad stuff), and what reduced inhibition can do to your eating habits, and it's just not worth it. I'm not one to say "don't drink", heck I have my moments too, but drinking more than 1 drink more than 2 or 3 times a month, well, eventually it will catch up with you.
  • crimefighter2
    crimefighter2 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Did I read that right? You will drink an entire bottle of wine in one sitting? And then a red bull/vodka? I am far from a tee totaler (sp?) but - :noway: I tend to agree with SHBoss, and I believe that you can't have a flat stomach if you are a regular drinker (soda or booze) - I could very well be wrong - and probably am. It's your choice, obviously.

And lovetobethin -- THANK YOU for your service.
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Sometimese you just need to hear it (or read it) from someone on the outside to make you think. My drinking is completely out of boredom, once I have one drink I'm in party mode. And 4 6oz glasses of wine seems to go by quickly. I could definitely learn to back off a bit.
  • Sexythighz
    Sexythighz Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Great info! I love my red wine but when I feel that Im losing control I lay off for months at a time.